Author Topic: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)  (Read 43971 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Re: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2022, 11:00:15 PM »
Version 185 is now available with a fix for this crash.  Thanks for the report and the save file!

The following users thanked this post: Haji

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2022, 07:01:02 PM »
Well, I was itching to poke away at Q4X some more :)  Here are some more fixes and comments

In aurora if a jump ship was at a jump point it acted as a jump gate for all relevant ships (smaller tonnage, type). What I mean by that is that if, for example, there was a 10kT military jump ship at a jump point I could order any warship 10kT or smaller to perform standard jump without having to put the ship in the same group, as if a jump gate was on the jump point. This worked from both sides of the jump point. In quasar ships need to be in the same group to make a jump which adds a lot of micromanagement.

From eyeballing the code, this should already be working.  I don't see a requirement to be in the same group.  If this is still an issue please send me a save file for testing

In Aurora DB ship size for the purposes of a jump point transit was rounded up to nearest 50, the same as the ship size in tonnes. In quasar the exact ship size is used. For example I had an exploration ship massing 6600T and a destroyer massing 6600T but I was not able to jump. Turns out that the exact ship size of the exploration ship is 131.6 while the exact size of the destroyer is 131.9, which prevents the jump. In Aurora that would not have mattered.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works in VB6.  If I can see a counter-example in VB6 I'll make an update

When creating a new race, the gravity deviation claims to be percentage based however it is absolute. For example creating a species on a planet with gravity of 0.6 and deviation of 70% should result in gravity tolerance of 0.18 to 1.02 however it results in gravity tolerance of -0.1 to 1.3.

Fixed

Reduced thermal signature doesn’t work. According to the ship design window it is lowered, however while playing two sides, the other side was able to detect full thermal signature as if the tech wasn’t applied.

Fixed

Not sure if this is a bug, but it appears the game first applies last ditch point defense and then applies potential misses by missiles. I can’t be sure since I haven’t played Aurora in several years but I think the point defenses were engaging only missiles that were going to hit, ignoring those that were going to miss.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works in VB6.  If I can see a counter-example in VB6 I'll make an update.  I would need a save file I can use as a testing scenario

Extended orbit doesn’t appear to be working. The vessel treats this as “move to x distance from the object” instead of following the object at a given distance.

Added to my todo list to check this out

It is possible to start the game without scientists.

Fixed

Order delay works as intended in case of normal orders, however if “cycle moves” is toggled on, it will only work the first time. The next time the orders are cycled there will be no delay. Adds a lot of micromanagement for fuel harvesting operations.

I tested this in VB6 and it appears to behave the same way.  However I do see the benefit of potentially adding a new "Maintain Position" order in which a fleet will just stay put for the specified time before moving to the next order.

I was salvaging wrecks (very large wrecks of ships which had hundreds of shield generators/box launchers each) and I’ve never seen more than five components of a given type salvaged from a single wreck but I’ve seen a lot of exactly five components recovered. Is it a bug or is it working as intended?

I'm pretty sure VB6 is the same, for better or worse.  Maximum of 5 components per component type in a wreck.

Secondary explosions do not show in the summary/tactical map if armor wasn’t breached. Not sure if it’s supposed to work like this.

Nor am I :)

It is possible to use damaged components in combat. The exact mechanics are as follows. You need two ships of the same class, let's call them A and B. B gets damaged, some weapons are no longer operational. You set up weapons for ship A and use "copy assign". The ship B can now use destroyed weapons.

Fixed

I've got ruins on venusian planets in non-real stars. I think it happened exactly once.

Would need to see the save file.  Conditions for ruins are more lenient than for NPR's however.  Maybe the ancients were around in a time prior to the runaway greenhouse event.

Political stability doesn't appear to affect mining. It's always extracting the maximum possible amount, even when political stability modifier is 0.

I'm not sure stability affects mining.  Would need to see an example in VB6. 

New PDCs are being put into individual, new task groups rather than existing ones. I think it may have to do with there being two populations on the planet (genetic engineering was being performed).

If this is still bothering you please send me a save file for testing

If a ship has automated orders to survey both bodies and jump points it will move from bodies to jump points without regard for lagrange points. This makes surveying distant binaries very annoying. For example let us say we have a distant binary with lagrange points. If I send the ship to the secondary component, after performing geological survey it will then move through normal space towards the jump point survey until it runs out of fuel.

If this is still bothering you please send me a save file for testing

It seems like surveying bodies means surveying bodies withing 10 bln km of the central star rather than the ship itself. I'm pretty sure it was 10 bln kilometers from the ship in Aurora.

I think this is how it works in VB6.  Even if it isn't, I think this way is better for NPRs.  I might make this configurable for players.

--

The fixes are available now in version 186.

The following users thanked this post: Haji

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2022, 07:28:24 AM »
Thank you for your work. Unfortunately I have another bug. I cannot activate shields on some ships. In the save file below I went to the Remnant->Bath Picket Group and used the button 'shields on' (Task Groups window) after which I progressed the game by one hour. The same screen (Task Groups window) claims the shields are 0 for all ships. Individual units detail is showing that shields are on. I also had task groups where some ships had shields activated and some didn't.
Thank you for your time.

Offline ussmidway

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • u
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2022, 02:32:53 PM »
Can't seem to get 'Exclude Surveyed' to work, on the task group orders area.

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2022, 11:52:08 AM »
I had a ship that had exclusively size 1 magazines with 16 capacity and was armed either with anti-missiles or size 1 missiles with warhead strength 3. I would imagine such a magazine would have maximum explosion size of 48. The ship suffered magazine explosion strength 1200. I don't know how Aurora was calculating magazine damage, but even if something like that was possible there I would still be grateful if this could be corrected.

Offline dustrial

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2023, 08:41:01 PM »
When putting an overhaul conditional order, the order would get duplicated each increment as long as it not on it's overhaul destination

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2023, 12:16:32 AM »
I had a ship that had exclusively size 1 magazines with 16 capacity and was armed either with anti-missiles or size 1 missiles with warhead strength 3. I would imagine such a magazine would have maximum explosion size of 48. The ship suffered magazine explosion strength 1200. I don't know how Aurora was calculating magazine damage, but even if something like that was possible there I would still be grateful if this could be corrected.

That explosion strength is equal to 25 magazines detonating. Does the design have 25 (or more) magazines? If more, it might be explainable that 25 failed their ejection check and the total damage was totaled.

Offline TrashTWellington

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2023, 09:35:20 PM »
     Not sure if it's a bug or if I'm just doing something incorrectly because I see no-one else with this issue.  For some reason, when designing a ship, I can add components using the add button or by double clicking its name in the design tab.  However, I can never remove components, the remove button just doesn't work.  I've completely deleted all files of Quasar 4x and re-downloaded it but it still didn't fix it.

Let me know if you need any more information and thank you.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2023, 07:15:29 PM »
Loving it, and have actually moved fully over to Quasar from Oldrora. Here's some of the things I've noticed off-and-on over the past year that are at least different, though may or may not be bugs.

• In the commanders window, adding extra commanders adds them to the current commander type rather than randomly across all types.
  • Promoting a civilian administrator breaks it, rendering it unselectable though still showing up in the filter on the right.
  • Renaming bodies, either from F9 or Economics, breaks randomly.
  • LP auto-route (move to colony, detect shorter path through LP and utilize this) only functions if fleet is in the same sector as the LP in question. Painful especially when a refueling stop is behind an LP.
  • Starting research points that are manually assigned aren't supported. You can leave them during Empire Creation, but they don't display in the F2 research window.
  • Fire controls don't ignore max range restriction when targetting waypoints.
  • Exclude surveyed doesn't exclude system bodies.
  • Launch missiles at order seems to not function.
  • Add waypoint to SB doesn't have the waypoint 'stick', so it remains floating where it was created rather than following the SB.
  • Auto turns gets unchecked every time you increment time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:37:24 AM by Havear »