Author Topic: Stopping auto turns with alien contact  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
Stopping auto turns with alien contact
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:03 AM »
Hello,

As the topic suggests, I want to know how to configure auto turns so that they halt as soon as an alien contact is seen.  I have a gnat of an alien popping up every couple of years and until I can discover his homeworld and help him melt find his place in the universe, I'd like to melt greet him properly.  But he's gone before I can get the auto turns to stop. . .

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
Re: Stopping auto turns with alien contact
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
If there’s no way to configure this, that’s cool.  But it would be nice to know one way or another.  Auto-turning one hour increments with the mouse hovering over the stop button gets old. . .

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:07 PM »
The sub-pulse length is likely the setting you want. Every sub-pulse, detection is checked and the game can stop if there's a break due to an event. So if you click a 5-day increment with a 5-minute sub-pulse, it'll check for stuff every 5 minutes during that five-day period, and stop if it needs to stop. It'll take longer to run, of course, but it's likely what you want.

Also, don't forget the auto-turns button.

The following users thanked this post: Roblakov

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »
Quote from: Alsadius link=topic=10827. msg124819#msg124819 date=1587162667
The sub-pulse length is likely the setting you want.  Every sub-pulse, detection is checked and the game can stop if there's a break due to an event.  So if you click a 5-day increment with a 5-minute sub-pulse, it'll check for stuff every 5 minutes during that five-day period, and stop if it needs to stop.  It'll take longer to run, of course, but it's likely what you want. 

I will try this!

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
If the alien race is set to neutral then their contacts won't cause interrupts. Setting it to hostile should do the trick (this doesn't have any diplomatic effect except that you will automatically shoot down their missiles).

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius, Roblakov

Offline Roblakov (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »
Quote from: JacenHan link=topic=10827. msg124881#msg124881 date=1587168926
If the alien race is set to neutral then their contacts won't cause interrupts.  Setting it to hostile should do the trick (this doesn't have any diplomatic effect except that you will automatically shoot down their missiles).

Ah, this is what I was looking for.  Thank you!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
The sub-pulse length is likely the setting you want. Every sub-pulse, detection is checked and the game can stop if there's a break due to an event. So if you click a 5-day increment with a 5-minute sub-pulse, it'll check for stuff every 5 minutes during that five-day period, and stop if it needs to stop. It'll take longer to run, of course, but it's likely what you want.

Although this specific setting won't work, as Aurora will ignore a sub-pulse choice if it would result in more than 100 sub pulses, and instead uses the default values (which for 5 days is -- I think -- 3 hours).

Though Steve did mention in the bugs thread possibly removing the limit; I don't know if he's done so.