Author Topic: Next Dumb Question. :)  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Next Dumb Question. :)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »
Quote from: "Randy"
Eric wrote:
Quote from: "Erik"
All you truly need is the stevefire.mdb. Of course you need Aurora installed on the other computer(s). Installing to a flash drive is doable, but there are registry settings that the install performs that without, Aurora may not function correctly, if at all.

And even these things could be cleaned up if Aurora was done in .Net  :)

Trying to change it now would be a major undertaking

Steve

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
[quote="Steve Walmsley
Unfortunately I never got around to learning .NET :)

Trying to change it now would be a major undertaking

Steve[/quote]

vb.net does have an importer for vb6 files. However, it is not nearly as good as some say it is. Even if it imports 90% of steves code correctly, the othe 10% will have him tied up for weeks tracking them down and figuring out how .net wants it coded.  This is from personal experience. To top it off the vb.net help is not as complete as VB6. VB6 just has better explainations and samples.

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
I guess I've had better luck with the upgrade tool - but I mostly used it to find the parts of the business logic that needed to be re-written  as opposed to any of the interface (which was completely redone...)

Realistically, for Aurora (and SA), a complete re-write from the ground up would allow many improvements, and allow the OO nature of .Net to be exploited.

Problem is, that means Steve would spend a lot of time just to get where he currently is :-(

And that would seriously take away from the fun factor in building aurora at present.