Author Topic: Mission Report of Centurion Agrippa to Legatus Solanius  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Mission Report of Centurion Agrippa to Legatus Solanius
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
Mission Report of Centurion Agrippa to Legatus Solanius

As commander of the geological survey ship, Verutum II, I was assigned to a survey group comprising two Verutum class ships, two Lancea class gravitational survey ships and a Spiculum class jump cruiser. Our mission was to survey the recently discovered Pompeii system, located three jumps from Rome via Antium and Cumae. Pompeii was an important discovery as it has four distinct asteroid belts, comprising over 400 asteroids, plus four rocky planets, four gas giants and seventy moons of various sizes. Given our current severe Uridium shortage, it was hoped a new source would be found in a system with so many potential mineral sites. The system is a little unusual in that only three planets orbit closer than the planetless binary component, a G9-V like the primary, while the rest of the planets and all the asteroid belts orbit further out. The first three belts are at approximately two billion, six billion and twenty-seven billion kilometers while the vast outer belt stretches from 120 to 200 billion kilometers. A super-jovian orbits the entire system way out at 240 billion kilometers.

On the tenth day of Januarius, 877 AUC, the survey had been ongoing for four months without incident and the two Lancea class ships had almost completed their jump point survey. We had even located an asteroid with over six thousand tons of accessibility 1.0 Uridium. As the entry jump point was on the sunward edge of the second asteroid belt, my own ship had taken part in surveying a portion of that belt before moving closer to the primary and surveying the whole of the smaller innermost belt. The second Verutum continued surveying the second belt while the Spiculum held position on the jump point to Cumae.. Once the inner belt was surveyed, I ordered my ship to proceed to Pompeii-III, a gas giant with three small moons. The innermost planet was one of the hot worlds with dense atmospheres that seem common close to main sequence stars while Pompeii-II was a high grav world with an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, although the atmospheric pressure of oxygen was too high for humans, even if the gravity had not made the world uninhabitable anyway.

As the survey of the first moon of Pompeii-III was completed, my sensor officer detected a ship at 14.3 million kilometers on an intercept course. The ship was estimated to be 6000 tons, moving at 3000 km/s and had a shield strength of 28. Based on this information, the contact was identified as a warship. As you know, the Verutum class is unarmed so I had no intention of allowing the alien to get any closer than necessary. I immediately contacted Centurion Marius on the Lancea, the most senior Centurion in the system, to advise him of the situation then hailed the alien ship. The alien returned the hail but continued to close the range.

Centurion Marius ordered me to hold the range open but continue communication attempts. To avoid revealing the position of our entry point, I set my course for Pompeii-V, a planet located between the two inner asteroid belts and ninety degrees away from Spiculum and the Cumae jump point. Centurion Marius advised me that his own ship and Lancea II would finish their gravitational survey, even while the aliens pursued my ship, as it was already 93% complete. The second Verutum, commanded by Centurion Albius, was ordered to abandon any further geological surveys and pull back to the jump point immediately.

For twenty-four hours the alien ship followed us towards the outer system. Following the instructions of Centurion Marius, I slowed down to try and encourage the alien to do the same but he continued to close at 3000 km/s, which appeared to be his maximum velocity. With no sign of peaceful intent, except for their apparent willingness to continue communication attempts, Centurion Marius ordered to me to accelerate to Verutum II
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Summercat

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
Interesting. Looks like Rome got preserved in Hadrian's time, well during the Republic.

...and the largest extent of the Roman empire, if my memory is correct. There was no fall, or even the start of a collapse; the only true rival Rome had was Carthage.

Heh, Rome. The first of the Great Western Empires...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Summercat »
I know who I am, what I am, when I am, where I am, and how I am. Why I am is either up to God or will give me Godlike powers.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:12:13 AM »
Quote from: "Summercat"
Interesting. Looks like Rome got preserved in Hadrian's time, well during the Republic.

...and the largest extent of the Roman empire, if my memory is correct. There was no fall, or even the start of a collapse; the only true rival Rome had was Carthage.

The Romans got picked up around 120 AD under Emperor Hadrian. The Empire reached its greatest extent in 117 AD under Trajan but the only real difference is that Hadrian decided to abandon Trajan's conquests in Mesopotamia as he believed they were indefinsible. Hadrian was less militaristic than Trajan and with the Mongols and Vikings in the campaign, I wanted a more even-handed Roman Empire.

Steve

Offline Summercat

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:35:09 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Summercat"

The Romans got picked up around 120 AD under Emperor Hadrian. The Empire reached its greatest extent in 117 AD under Trajan but the only real difference is that Hadrian decided to abandon Trajan's conquests in Mesopotamia as he believed they were indefinsible. Hadrian was less militaristic than Trajan and with the Mongols and Vikings in the campaign, I wanted a more even-handed Roman Empire.

Steve

Why, oh, why, do I see an alliance between Rome, England, and America...?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Summercat »
I know who I am, what I am, when I am, where I am, and how I am. Why I am is either up to God or will give me Godlike powers.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:56:31 PM »
Spoiler note, I peeked into the System Summary and noted some interesting duplications.

I checked the resource available numbers for the various races.  The Mongols have huge resources in their home system.  They do not need to explore in order to expand their economy for a long time.

Of course, being next door to every other race means that they will not be able to peacefully just expand their economy.

Two points of contact with the Romans is bad enough, but they are also adjacent to the contested system of Cardiff.

You started several powers basically in the same cluster.  It would be nice to be able to edit the System Number of a system, in order to move it into a different part of the galaxy from another starting race.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael Sandy »

Offline Þórgrímr

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »
I must say I agree with Michael, it would be nice to NOT have to whoop Mongol booty right away. Some peaceful expansion would be nice.  :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Þórgrímr »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »
I didn't deliberately put them close together. I just generated systems until I found one I liked for each race. I was quite surprised when they all found each other so fast.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:40:14 PM »
I have noticed that the program seems to start at one point for a system number and then proceeds linearly when you are using the generate command.  This would lead to all of the systems that you picked being quite close together.  As they are close together they will quickly come in contact.  If you do not change the method of generating systems, you might want to use the force new system command for one or two jumps so that the different races have a chance to spread out.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
I have noticed that the program seems to start at one point for a system number and then proceeds linearly when you are using the generate command.  This would lead to all of the systems that you picked being quite close together.  As they are close together they will quickly come in contact.  If you do not change the method of generating systems, you might want to use the force new system command for one or two jumps so that the different races have a chance to spread out.
Brian

Yes, that's true. I forgot about that as its several years since I wrote that part of the old SA code :)

Steve