Author Topic: Cataclysm Campaign Part 1  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Cataclysm Campaign Part 1
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »
Descendants of Terra. A History of the Early Interstellar Era by Professor W.S. Templehill

The combined military government formed in 2017, six months after the Cataclysm, took over most of the responsibilities of the various civilian governments of the US and Europe and streamlined the remaining civilian organizations. As the USA was by far the most powerful nation to survive the Cataclysm, most of the upper echelon officers within the new government were American and government policy was formed on a US-centric basis. Some other countries, notably France, objected to measures such as English being the official language of the new United Terran States and the dollar being the only acceptable currency. However, such complaints received little sympathy from countries more interested in survival than linguistical differences and extremely grateful for the mainly US technology that held back the bulk of the comets and meteors. The European nations did succeed in convincing the new government to adopt the metric system of measurements rather than the imperial system used by the US and large sections of the UK population. Despite many trials and tribulations, by 2035, the United Terran States was one nation in reality as well as administratively.

As time passed, the military permeated every aspect of society with military personnel performing many of the tasks that were carried out by civilian organizations before the Cataclysm. Although repressive measures were introduced in the immediate aftermath of the disaster, they were slowly lifted as the years passed and Humanity
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »
Steve -

Unless I've missed something, you've terraformed one world within two years of starting the game, and have gotten a start on another.  Now, granted, the terraforming required could be considered fairly minor adjustments, and your main race started with a fair amount of tech, but that still seems fast to me.  

We are talking about entire worlds here.  Making any change, no matter how minor, should be time consuming and expensive, except at the highest tech levels, and maybe even then.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:51:51 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

Unless I've missed something, you've terraformed one world within two years of starting the game, and have gotten a start on another.  Now, granted, the terraforming required could be considered fairly minor adjustments, and your main race started with a fair amount of tech, but that still seems fast to me.  

We are talking about entire worlds here.  Making any change, no matter how minor, should be time consuming and expensive, except at the highest tech levels, and maybe even then.  Kurt

The planet that was terraformed required 0.12 atm of oxygen to be breathable and started with 0.1196. Adding that much oxygen from scratch would have taken decades but the planet already had 99.7% of the required oxygen. If I make it take several years to add 0.0004 atm then it would be impossible to terraform any planet except those extremely close to ideal to begin with.

Steve

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:07:43 PM »
_Three_ Jump Gate construction ships?  Wow.  The Nemesis campaign choked on providing the Jump Gate Components for _1_.

Two would not be so bad.  Complete the second about six months after the first.  The first will have completed the Jump Gate and started working on the one back to the home system, the second goes through and starts the next Jump Gate in the chain.  By the time the 1st Jump Gate ship has finished its Gate, it can go through the Jump Gate the 2nd ship has constructed, and expand the chain while the 2nd ship works on the return gate.

With 3 Jump Gate ships you are in danger of expanding your jump gate network faster than your survey ships are finding good places to expand them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael Sandy »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 09:05:38 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Sandy"
With 3 Jump Gate ships you are in danger of expanding your jump gate network faster than your survey ships are finding good places to expand them.

I am planning to build down two or three routes at once where required and it also means I can always have two active with one in overhaul.

Steve

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I am planning to build down two or three routes at once where required and it also means I can always have two active with one in overhaul.

Steve

I suppose that when you have 20 Shipyards you can be a bit more profligate with the Build Points.

Perhaps more importantly, the modification to the number of warp points per system means that there will be many more systems within a couple jumps of the home system.  My second round of surveyed systems had zero new warp points, 2 new warp points, 2, 4,5 and 6 new warp points.

And it was the warp chain that was closest to the home system that popped up with 6 new links.  Granted, one of those immediately linked back to the home system, but you fixed that bug for the next version. :)

With more systems within, say, 20 billion km, that is a lot more potential jump gate positions that can be scouted out.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »
Why does the UTS have a shipyard in its build queue when it isn't even using close to all of its shipyard slots?

Also, I note that the colony ship fleet is set to travel at the same speed as the freighters, even though the freighter fleet has its own jump cruiser.

I think it is questionable to go for Fighter Endurance 1.5 hours before going for 2 launch rails.  After all, you can develop a fighter that is useful for something other than planetary bombardment with 2 launch rails.  Maybe only useful for going after unshielded targets, but that is still more useful than greater Fighter Endurance.

I was impressed with the sheer quantities of Duranium, Mercassium and Gallicite the UTS has discovered.  Granted, availability 0.1 isn't great for Los Angeles, but the output can be increased just by churning out more mines.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:39:06 AM »
Why does the UTS have a shipyard in its build queue when it isn't even using close to all of its shipyard slots?
Because I was testing the build queue and forgot to remove the random items before I released 0.9 :)  The UTS won't be building any more shipyards for a while.

I think it is questionable to go for Fighter Endurance 1.5 hours before going for 2 launch rails.  After all, you can develop a fighter that is useful for something other than planetary bombardment with 2 launch rails.  Maybe only useful for going after unshielded targets, but that is still more useful than greater Fighter Endurance.

This is due to testing the research queue and won't be the actual research progression.

Steve