Author Topic: Please don't punch me  (Read 3399 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Please don't punch me
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
I know very little about JAVA and I have used Microsoft IDEs for the last 15 years or so. So even though C# is a new language for me the Visual C# development environment is still very similar to VB6.. I think the last non-MS IDE I used was Borland C++ back in the mid-1990s. I am one of those strange people who likes Microsoft :)

Steve
That's amusing - Hejlsberg (the lead C# designer) was a Borland guy.

I'm not a big Microsoft fan, but I think they've done a great service to the community with C# and its integrated IDE.  I think it really is the next-generation language beyond C++; if you look at the design decisions they made, most of them solve fundamental deficiencies with C++.  OTOH, the language seems to be going down a "kitchen sink" direction in recent versions, e.g. with LINQ and declarative programming extensions.

John

Offline lastverb

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
I see some1 asked why VB/C# not java - answer is simple: TIME. Java just have a hell lot of overcoding like f-load of never used things loaded with EACH class, and u can't write one from raw. Simple example - program that have to read an input and write is elsewhere during stress test (inputs are single letters, a hell lot of them in 0 time) and average time of job done with same tests:
assembler - 0.04 s
basic functional languages (like OZ/OCaml/SmallTalk/Haskel) - 0.12 to 0.26 s
c/c++ - 0.45 s
java - almost 4 minutes
and its not a joke

Offline Deoxy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
I know very little about JAVA and I have used Microsoft IDEs for the last 15 years or so. So even though C# is a new language for me the Visual C# development environment is still very similar to VB6.. I think the last non-MS IDE I used was Borland C++ back in the mid-1990s. I am one of those strange people who likes Microsoft :)

Steve

No, for the topic you're talking about (environment), Microsoft has manged to be fairly consistent over the years - it's actually a strong point of theirs (considering my views on MS, just typing that is like eating horse poo).

The reasons to dislike Microsoft start with their business practices and move rapidly to the crap they pull with their monopolistic products (windows), which is largely related to the first point, really.