Author Topic: C# Hydrosphere terra-forming thoughts  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Andy8583 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
C# Hydrosphere terra-forming thoughts
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:37:45 AM »
So, I was reading up on the changed for C# and found the section on terraforming and this part:
"9)   Water will also evaporate into the atmosphere.  The evaporation cycle follows condensation and will stabilise water vapour in the atmosphere of a planet with liquid water at a level of: Atmospheric Pressure * (Hydro Extent / 100) * 0. 01 atm.  The resulting atm * 20 is the % of the planet's surface that loses water.  As the water vapour is removed from the atmosphere, it will replenish from the surface water.  This is to allow the removal of water from ocean worlds to create more living space.
"

Which got me thinking, since while hydrosphere reduces colonization cost, it also takes up space which limits pop cap.  So, do you think it would work if after the pop cap was reached water vapour was actually taken away from the atmosphere slowly.  The local population would fall a little bit, but soon would start building infrastructure themselves to support themselves.  The rate of taking away water could be regulated so that the populace has enough time to completely support themselves with infrastructure until, there is finally 0 hydrosphere, but now the populace has enough infrastructure to support themselves AND the pop-cap has been increased by 25% since the 1/5 of the world previously covered in water is now empty and ready for development.

Essentially you could create desert planets, with even larger mega cities and populations than possible on an 'Earth' style world.  In fact Earth might be the first planet I do this with when the time comes!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Hydrosphere terra-forming thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
So, I was reading up on the changed for C# and found the section on terraforming and this part:
"9)   Water will also evaporate into the atmosphere.  The evaporation cycle follows condensation and will stabilise water vapour in the atmosphere of a planet with liquid water at a level of: Atmospheric Pressure * (Hydro Extent / 100) * 0. 01 atm.  The resulting atm * 20 is the % of the planet's surface that loses water.  As the water vapour is removed from the atmosphere, it will replenish from the surface water.  This is to allow the removal of water from ocean worlds to create more living space.
"

Which got me thinking, since while hydrosphere reduces colonization cost, it also takes up space which limits pop cap.  So, do you think it would work if after the pop cap was reached water vapour was actually taken away from the atmosphere slowly.  The local population would fall a little bit, but soon would start building infrastructure themselves to support themselves.  The rate of taking away water could be regulated so that the populace has enough time to completely support themselves with infrastructure until, there is finally 0 hydrosphere, but now the populace has enough infrastructure to support themselves AND the pop-cap has been increased by 25% since the 1/5 of the world previously covered in water is now empty and ready for development.

Essentially you could create desert planets, with even larger mega cities and populations than possible on an 'Earth' style world.  In fact Earth might be the first planet I do this with when the time comes!

Water only starts to affect the population cap at 75% coverage:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg100078#msg100078

Offline Andy8583 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10004. msg107690#msg107690 date=1523028082
Water only starts to affect the population cap at 75% coverage:

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg100078#msg100078

I have so much yet to learn XD

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
It was a nice idea if thats what the mechanics were