Author Topic: More challenging Wealth?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
More challenging Wealth?
« on: October 29, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »
I don't know, but after several games I still haven't seen myself in the position of actually checking if I was losing money or not.

Maybe a slider similar to the survey, research and terraforming but that impact costs or even wealth revenue could be a nice addition?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: More challenging Wealth?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
Perhaps you weren't building fast enough, or you could have postponed the wealth research and gotten something else instead.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
Perhaps you weren't building fast enough, or you could have postponed the wealth research and gotten something else instead.

Not sure, I am thinking revenue from Civilian are OP at the moment. As soon as you kick start Luna and Mars you are pretty much out of the issue.

I am playing slow so obviously I have more building up time with consequential wealth accumulation but I still don't feel the pressure I was getting in VB6.

Maybe I just got better at managing my finances, wishing was the same in real life though...

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »

Not sure, I am thinking revenue from Civilian are OP at the moment. As soon as you kick start Luna and Mars you are pretty much out of the issue.

I am playing slow so obviously I have more building up time with consequential wealth accumulation but I still don't feel the pressure I was getting in VB6.

Maybe I just got better at managing my finances, wishing was the same in real life though...

What I find is that my finances only get strained when ive got 10k or so ordnance factories busting out missiles all the time.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 11:46:58 PM »

What I find is that my finances only get strained when ive got 10k or so ordnance factories busting out missiles all the time.

same here, soon as my nation switches to a war footing, my finances are thin.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:20 AM »
Civilian taxes are in fact OP, at least in terms of freight/passengers

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:43:27 AM »

same here, soon as my nation switches to a war footing, my finances are thin.

See, for instance I dont use missiles much if none. I am always more beam base and missiles with alpha strike only so no missile dependant.

This is interesting, perhaps beam or weapons systems in general should cost more?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 05:18:59 AM »
Weapons already received a new penalty in the form of maintenance failures. Which means you need to build more MSP which means you need more maintenance facilities and these cost wealth and minerals. Let's not start changing game parameters based on very little first-hand experience. Even twenty games from one player might not be illustrative of a problem if the playstyle is always the same. Father Tim has harped about this many times - Aurora supports several different types or flavours of play currently. We should always be very careful that we don't ruin one while trying to improve another. So while for your playstyle wealth isn't an issue at all, it definitely is an issue for a different playstyle - I know this both from posters on the forum as well as my own games. Thus, if Steve changes the wealth generation and/or requirements so that your playstyle gets more challenging, it might ruin my playstyle.

The following users thanked this post: papent

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 06:01:25 AM »
Weapons already received a new penalty in the form of maintenance failures. Which means you need to build more MSP which means you need more maintenance facilities and these cost wealth and minerals. Let's not start changing game parameters based on very little first-hand experience. Even twenty games from one player might not be illustrative of a problem if the playstyle is always the same. Father Tim has harped about this many times - Aurora supports several different types or flavours of play currently. We should always be very careful that we don't ruin one while trying to improve another. So while for your playstyle wealth isn't an issue at all, it definitely is an issue for a different playstyle - I know this both from posters on the forum as well as my own games. Thus, if Steve changes the wealth generation and/or requirements so that your playstyle gets more challenging, it might ruin my playstyle.

agreed, hence my suggestion of a slider.

Anyway it was just a thought

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
I have always wanted player created commercial ships to cost maintenance in the form of wealth, just like ground armies for example. You would not have to maintain them or anything, they just cost an amount of wealth per cycle to keep around based on their initial cost to build. It also give you a greater incentive to actually upgrade them which there almost is very little reason to do currently.

This would introduce one more way to use wealth in the game.

Another simple way of using wealth would be to fund the culture and development of your worlds so it would simply increase production, trade and research but the amount of increase should be exponentially more expensive for more production capacity. The cost should be based on the population of said colony not the amount of buildings.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:56:42 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Cinnius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
I have always wanted player created commercial ships to cost maintenance in the form of wealth...

I don't like this option, in my game i disable the Civilian Shipping lines and only use commercial ship build by me.
If you increase the cost of commercial ship or give it a maintenance, it will only bring to mainly use the civilian line or to spam the financial center.

it won't bring anything interesting to the game, just one more step or ruin one playstyle.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Another simple way of using wealth would be to fund the culture and development of your worlds so it would simply increase production, trade and research but the amount of increase should be exponentially more expensive for more production capacity. The cost should be based on the population of said colony not the amount of buildings.

We already have this, practically speaking. Production costs wealth, research costs wealth, and adding more capacity of either costs wealth to build the buildings. It wouldn't change the game; just a balance change.

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
A major wealth sink for me is the research cost, more often than not it is more than half of my expenditure. Maybe playing with reduced research rate lowers this by a lot and wealth seems to be easy to come by?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 12:09:22 PM »
A major wealth sink for me is the research cost, more often than not it is more than half of my expenditure. Maybe playing with reduced research rate lowers this by a lot and wealth seems to be easy to come by?

Eh. I'm playing at 25% research speed right now and still having trouble with wealth. Research is certainly expensive, but it's not hard to spend everything you earn; just build more construction factories!

The following users thanked this post: Cinnius

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »
I have always wanted player created commercial ships to cost maintenance in the form of wealth...

I don't like this option, in my game i disable the Civilian Shipping lines and only use commercial ship build by me.
If you increase the cost of commercial ship or give it a maintenance, it will only bring to mainly use the civilian line or to spam the financial center.

it won't bring anything interesting to the game, just one more step or ruin one playstyle.

It could be made so that if you disable civilians you don't pay cost to commercial ships.

The thing is that in my opinion not having maintenance on commercial ships is a balance issue. It makes almost no sense to upgrade commercial ships and instead just build more of them as once built they cost NOTHING except for some fuel. Do some math and you will see that fuel cost is minor in comparison to the mined resources necessary to upgrade commercial ships engines.

I also don't think that it is a good argument that no using civilians for commercial having a cost. Commercials should have SOME cost no matter how you play as it is an unbalanced game mechanic otherwise in more than one way. Anything that have a one time cost and then add indefinitely is unbalanced in the end as it leads to massive snowballing. Aurora is not except from several of these things in it's economy and it actually is problematic
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:26:40 AM by Jorgen_CAB »