Author Topic: Did you witness NPR vs NPR wars?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Did you witness NPR vs NPR wars?
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:24:18 AM »
I'm curious if they expand enough to bump into each other? Because of the way the AIs are generated, most of the time nothing happens until you explore. But has someone also tried setting up a high count of pre generated NPR and see how it goes from there?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Did you witness NPR vs NPR wars?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:29:08 AM »
I'm curious if they expand enough to bump into each other? Because of the way the AIs are generated, most of the time nothing happens until you explore. But has someone also tried setting up a high count of pre generated NPR and see how it goes from there?

I've got one happening in my game right now, although I don't officially know about it :)

I started with 5 NPRs and I have met 2 of them with the player race within the first ten years of the game, including one that is at war with a third NPR.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »
That's cool, I might be inclined at some point to play the peeping tom of such battles. I'll bring pop corn, it goes without saying.  :P

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »
In a VB6 game, I set the NPR generation chance to 100% and found a system with 2 habitable planets. Those 2 newly generated NPR started to fire at each other almost immediately. Not sure if the same can happen in C# too :D.

Offline Aurex

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
I was lucky enough (or unlucky, according to how things ended.   .   .   ) to be a spectator to a 40-years war between two neighbouring NPRs a couple of months ago.    I knew very little about them until I sent a specialized spy ship to gather some information.    One of the two species was apparently getting the upper hand, had been expanding to two adjacent systems while their opponents were relegated to their own system, since the only other direction they had was guarded by five of my jump point defense bases (twin ultraviolet 20cm turrets on all of them.   ) The weaker NPR's home system was littered with wrecks, ranging from 5000 to 30000 tons.    The stronger NPR employed faster (MP era) beam weapons, while the defending weaker NPR (Ion drives era) had missile ships.    Eventually I went in with a scout ship and sent probes all over the systems.    The enemy NPR had a 20+ strong fleet orbiting the other NPR's planet, they were clearly bombarding or invading it - and the shipyards weren't there anymore.    Sadly I had to abandon the game because I had horrible luck with mineral placement, but it was really interesting to see two NPRs face each other in an all-out war like that.    There were also relatively little interruptions in the game subpulses, considering the amount of wreckage! Wish I had taken screenshots of that.   

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
Kind of... While searching for Gallacite, I found a System with one body that had two NPRs. They mostly ignored each other (and kinda fought together against my fleet, though I dont think they were allies), but after I had defeated most of their fleet, they somehow decided now would be the time to fight each other. It was mostly the last two beam ships from one race trying to kill all the other races sorium harvesters, cargo freighters etc.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Does NPR vs Precursors count?

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
I had one in my last game. One NPR I knew of, and another one that I had not yet encountered.

I had a diplomacy ship sitting in one of the known NPR's system, and watch that NPR and the 2nd one shooting at each other. There was a pretty big fleet action and left a lot of wrecks around one of the other jump points in the system. Was kind cool to watch. I was trying to figure out a way to sneak in and salvage the wrecks without pissing off the known NPR. :)