Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 350982 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #1650 on: January 04, 2020, 03:31:50 PM »
Before Aurora expands in that direction, I want to see it fix the problem of 'point defense only fires on one salvo at a time, and stupidly will prioritise a one-missile salvo over a sixteen-missile salvo.'

I have fixed that  - I just forgot to mention it in the change log :)

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9841.msg115852#msg115852

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #1651 on: January 04, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »
I assume PD still only fires on one salvo at a time?

That is, if you have a single quad RoF8 100% gauss turret, and adequate tracking speed, FC range, and crew training to achieve 100% accuracy, allowing up to 32 missile kills per increment, and face 32 single missile salvos arriving simultaneously in 8 waves, for a total of 256 missiles, I suspect you are still gonna eat 248 hits, your PD being 97% idle while it happens.

Any chance in the future that is mitigated if not resolved?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1652 on: January 04, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »

That is, if you have a single quad RoF8 100% gauss turret, and adequate tracking speed, FC range, and crew training to achieve 100% accuracy, allowing up to 32 missile kills per increment, and face 32 single missile salvos arriving simultaneously in 8 waves, for a total of 256 missiles, I suspect you are still gonna eat 248 hits, your PD being 97% idle while it happens.

I think that might be a strong indicator to switch from quad turrets to singles.

Which, obviously, will only mitigate your specific situation a small amount.  But I'm excited to see C#'s changes in action before requesting further PD changes.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1653 on: January 04, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

I can't see you ever facing that situation in the game unless you create it yourself. The AI isn't going to design ships that fire hordes of single missile salvos.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1654 on: January 04, 2020, 10:36:24 PM »
I can't see you ever facing that situation in the game unless you create it yourself. The AI isn't going to design ships that fire hordes of single missile salvos.

I'd personally be happy to just roll with the progress that was made in that regard, since it does appear to have been somewhat improved.  Though I mean, the better balanced the game becomes the more common player versus player scenarios will become.

e:

Like guys though, really, its kindof annoying when he improves a thing and you are like 'ree but what about these other things'.  I've been in more than one community like this and its actually pretty counterproductive to be that way at this point, even if it seems to you to be an innocent enough question.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:40:56 PM by QuakeIV »

Offline shepard1707

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #1655 on: January 05, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »
Id probably make the 'How many can it control' part of a Fire Control function similar to fire control speed in bfcs.  So having a large missile swarm capability earlier might be more a matter of how much of your ship you have to cut out to fit it in.

Mind, this would have knock on effects to the effectiveness of anti-missiles.  If the Anti-Missile firecontrol can only handle so many missiles in the air at once, you may not get the chance to just evaporate a salvo so quickly.  And neither will the AI. 

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #1656 on: January 05, 2020, 01:01:06 AM »
One way to handle missile fire control is with a modifier that exchanges range for greater control, so a max range MFC would only be able to support a single missile, but one whose max range has been shortened by half might support 2, or 4, or some other appropriate number.

By the time you get to very short ranges you could be flinging very large salvos of barely mobile bombs.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1657 on: January 05, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
AMMs already suffer vis-a-vis beam PD and if I've understood things correctly, C# is not helping them, whereas the improvements to PD will make that aspect of defence even stronger. Limiting the number of missiles an MFC can control would nerf AMM defence even further. And since PD is getting help with the salvo issue, I really wouldn't want to limit missiles in general even further until we know for sure how much the current changes, all combined together, affect the gameplay.

The mitigation to that is to not have all your eggs in one basket. Steve confirmed that the AI will never do that so the only case is in human-vs-human battle scenarios, in which you should diversify your PD anyway. Yeah, that gauss turret is great at taking out one big salvo, so it needs to be accompanied by another ship that is built to take out many tiny salvos. It's not even a problem in multi-faction single-player games, only in specific PvP scenarios, IMHO.

Of course, in the long run I agree that having beam PD use all their capacity instead of being idle would be great but it's not a high priority thing in the current system since I assume it would require replacing the salvo system with something else.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1658 on: January 05, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
To make life easier: A comparison chart where you can select two ships / missiles and see the actual detection / weapons range etc.  of each other, according to your Intel.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1659 on: January 05, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Seriously speaking, in human vs human, someone who builds fleets tailored to launch tens of one-missile salvos is in my opinion someone who exploits the game engine to the point I don't want to play against this person.

This is clearly a case that falls so far into mechanics exploitation that I don't care at all. I would simply stop playing against this person in literally 5 seconds, the time needed to delete the game. So who cares.

There needs to be a line bewteen what is acceptable and what is not. I don't think Steve has to work to try to prevent all these tiny, edge-case exploitations that go beyond the scope of normal games. I would hope that even those players that do PvP have enough common sense and moral integrity to avoid these things. Else what is the point?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:33:58 AM by Zincat »

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, Tavik Toth

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #1660 on: January 05, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
So perhaps taking it to the extreme was a bit much.  That's where everyone has stayed glued.

Steve, apologies if that seemed aggressive, it certainly wasn't the intent, its why my posts tend to be large, I am often misconstrued when too few words are used to clarify my position.  Granted, I could use other words, and perhaps not be so mis-understood, or perhaps more so, who knows.

I think that might be a strong indicator to switch from quad turrets to singles.

Which, obviously, will only mitigate your specific situation a small amount.  But I'm excited to see C#'s changes in action before requesting further PD changes.
Well, yeah, the case was specifically chosen though.  One could doom stack PD and not need to worry ever.  We mostly exist between the extremes, perhaps that was the main failing of my example.

...snipped the quote...
Wouldn't fighter or FAC swarms create a similar scenario?  That was more the point, I really shouldn't have made it such an extreme case.  They can create multiple stacked salvos that are far smaller than available PD capability, more numerous than available PD, and larger in sum, and will repeatedly attack as need and/or reloads in a hangar permit.  I assume the AI will use fighters and FACs against us with missiles?  Just using missile fighters against the AI would create this scenario without even trying to.

Example, 10 fighters, 4 launchers each, you've got 40 inbound in 10 salvos, again, assuming an idealised one shot one kill.  Supposing we split the quad turret to singles, you stop 4, have 50% idle, and get plastered by the remaining  6 salvos. If you didn't split the turret and had it as a quad still, you stop one salvo, and eat the remaining 9 salvos, 90% idle.

Perhaps turrets that are under utilised could be permitted to engage another salvo with a penalty to accuracy.  Perhaps, 1-(used/max) for something direct and simple, subtract it off the current base and use that?

Re-using the above scenario, assuming base accuracy of 80%, engages a 4 missile salvo, spends 5 rounds, kills the salvo.  Retargets, base accuracy penalised by 15.6%, accuracy now 64.4%.  Spends 7 rounds to kill 4 missiles, second salvo stopped.  Re-targets, base accuracy now penalised by 37.5%, accuracy now 42.5%.  Spends 10 rounds to kill 4 missiles.  Re-targets, base accuracy now penalised with 68.75%, accuracy now 11.25%, would need 36 rounds to stop 4, has 10, lets say it gets 2.  Rather than only 4 kills, you get 14 of 40.

Using the 4 singles example, same setup.  Each spends 5 rounds for the first salvo it engages, 4 salvos are killed.  Each has 3 rounds left, suffers a 65.5% penalty on their second engagement, 17.5% accuracy.  They would need 23 rounds to kill 4, a bit under 6 per.  To simplify here, lets just say each gets one more kill in, so each tags 5 missiles, instead of just 4.  Rather than only stopping 16 missiles, you stop 20.

In the extreme example I started with, 32 singles, using that setup, you'd average 17 kills per increment, rather than 1.

The salvo system remains essentially unchanged, there is no free lunch, PD is less easily overwhelmed by quantity in salvos, while still easily overwhelmed by quantity in total sum.

Would that perhaps be a sensible mitigation?

...snipped the quote...
I'd personally be happy to just roll with the progress that was made in that regard, since it does appear to have been somewhat improved.  Though I mean, the better balanced the game becomes the more common player versus player scenarios will become.

...snipped the quote...
Like guys though, really, its kindof annoying when he improves a thing and you are like 'ree but what about these other things'.  I've been in more than one community like this and its actually pretty counterproductive to be that way at this point, even if it seems to you to be an innocent enough question.
Its not merely somewhat improved, as is, with what we know now, its enormously improved, and I'm happy to have it either way, overjoyed that he doesn't charge for it, just releases it to us.

That said, he is human, he can forget or overlook things, just as we can.  He is very anti-abuse in some areas, less so in others.  We can't know if this means of abuse is overlooked, intentionally as is, or just lacking a suitable solution until someone asks and he answers.  The topic came up, I asked.

AMMs already suffer vis-a-vis beam PD and if I've understood things correctly, C# is not helping them, whereas the improvements to PD will make that aspect of defence even stronger. Limiting the number of missiles an MFC can control would nerf AMM defence even further. And since PD is getting help with the salvo issue, I really wouldn't want to limit missiles in general even further until we know for sure how much the current changes, all combined together, affect the gameplay.

...snipped the quote...
The mitigation to that is to not have all your eggs in one basket. Steve confirmed that the AI will never do that so the only case is in human-vs-human battle scenarios, in which you should diversify your PD anyway. Yeah, that gauss turret is great at taking out one big salvo, so it needs to be accompanied by another ship that is built to take out many tiny salvos. It's not even a problem in multi-faction single-player games, only in specific PvP scenarios, IMHO.

Of course, in the long run I agree that having beam PD use all their capacity instead of being idle would be great but it's not a high priority thing in the current system since I assume it would require replacing the salvo system with something else.
Definitely agreed on priority, I would note I asked if it had a chance in the future, rather than now. 

I'm not so sure the salvo system needs to die to allow further utilisation.  If I understand things, Missiles move, and in so doing reach a piece of code where PD is checked for as area defence or final fire.  When checked for, spent turrets are skipped over, or excluded from the list which is used to pick the next turret to open fire in defence.  Presumably, once a weapon engages, it is marked as used, and thus not considered in successive salvo movements this increment.  Not marking it used until fully used would leave it available in such case for multiple salvos.  A caveat is if it searches for fully loaded turrets only, a partially spent turret is not fully loaded, no way around that other than a change to what makes the turret available.  I can't say with certainty either way.

Agreed on the obvious in-game design mitigation, not placing all eggs in one basket, it was certainly a contrived situation, but one that comes up often enough in similar state, especially once missile fighters or FACs get involved.  Many small salvos arriving in the same increment.  The obvious answer is to stack many small PD weapons, since collectively they can all engage big salvos, or spread across small salvos, especially now that you do not need more than one FC to engage more than one salvo.

AMM's might need some love someday to make them more viable, yes, or a wholesale hit to PD accuracy to make it less effective, or who knows what else I can't think of now.  I agree its too powerful as is once you can afford to stack competent turrets in your fleet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:33:50 PM by amram »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1661 on: January 05, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »
I don't think this will be any sort of problem as same technology PD weapons will very rarely come even close to 100% final accuracy... if you are close then you are better to make the turrets smaller and with less weapons in the turrets as you will recognise the threat from smaller salvos from fighters in that case. Nothing is forcing you to build quad 100% size Gauss cannons.

Salvo sizes of 4-7 is not that uncommon from smaller regular AI ships either so such salvo sizes are quite common.

I would say that building your PD turrets for engaging salvos at around 5 missiles are a pretty sound logical conclusion. At same tech level that probably are more like a dual or triple turret depending on the fire rate of the cannon.

From a RP stand-point I think that salvo saturation can make some sense. In real life you actually want missiles to come from multiple vectors for example to saturate enemy point defences and salvos could sort of abstract something similar. As a single turret can't focus on more than one incoming salvo at a time.

Some limitation and trade offs can be interesting as otherwise you would always just build the biggest most space efficient turrets all the time.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1662 on: January 05, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »
AMM's might need some love someday to make them more viable, yes, or a wholesale hit to PD accuracy to make it less effective, or who knows what else I can't think of now.  I agree its too powerful as is once you can afford to stack competent turrets in your fleet.

I also apologize if I came as too aggressive myself. I still do think it's rather reasonable, provided you don't build quad gauss. Generally speaking, I turret at most twin gauss cannons...

Do keep in mind, AMM do have a great advantage. You can shoot at each salvo multiple times, provided your sensors allow you. It's still a costly but...

Think of it this way. At decent tech levels, mass PD is better against normal missile salvos. However, it's very inferior against massed missiles strike due to large usage of box launchers. Against a wave of 800 missiles, you're probably better off being able to shoot AMM 6-8 or so times.
So it's a tradeoff. Will you build to defend against normal missile ships? Or against massed box launchers strikes?

All in all, I think the balance is not that bad at average tech levels. It might break at extreme tech levels, I never reached it.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1663 on: January 05, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »

I also apologize if I came as too aggressive myself. I still do think it's rather reasonable, provided you don't build quad gauss. Generally speaking, I turret at most twin gauss cannons...

Do keep in mind, AMM do have a great advantage. You can shoot at each salvo multiple times, provided your sensors allow you. It's still a costly but...

Think of it this way. At decent tech levels, mass PD is better against normal missile salvos. However, it's very inferior against massed missiles strike due to large usage of box launchers. Against a wave of 800 missiles, you're probably better off being able to shoot AMM 6-8 or so times.
So it's a tradeoff. Will you build to defend against normal missile ships? Or against massed box launchers strikes?

All in all, I think the balance is not that bad at average tech levels. It might break at extreme tech levels, I never reached it.

There is a fine balance between beam PD and AMM defences as you need both to be effective.

Large capital ships are not likely to carry large box launched salvos as they are one trick ponies. It will take you weeks to get back to a maintenance facility to reload if the first salvo is not enough, in this case using 30% reduced launchers is likely more usable as you can have some magazines and reload them and supply ships who can supply with more missiles for extended operations. Being able to reload also give a much higher flexibility in missile loads, such as range, sensor etc...

In any way both options for defence is effective in its own sense.

Against regular sized launchers you can make extremely effective PD and with just a tiny bit of AMM make missile attacks way to expensive even against an inferior defending fleet.

Offline amschnei

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #1664 on: January 05, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
One thing which would be nice would be a simple dropdown menu with previously used names for designed systems, so if I don't have to go and look to see how I spelled "Example Industrial Consortium" when designing a new widget.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius