Author Topic: Jump Tenders & Civilian Ships  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Seolferwulf (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Jump Tenders & Civilian Ships
« on: June 20, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
Since stabilising a jump point is permanent I was thinking about using jump tenders instead, giving me more control over entry points.
The question is whether or not civilian ships use them aswell.
If I remember correctly in the VB version they did not.
Has this changed since then?

(version C# 1.10)

Offline CowboyRonin

• Petty Officer
  • C
Re: Jump Tenders & Civilian Ships
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
Each type of ship (military and commercial) uses a different jump engine, and I believe it isn't possible to put both types of engines on one hull (it definitely gives you a warning when you try).  So, it would take 2 types of tenders - 1 military and 1 commercial.  I use commercial jump tenders all the time, but I do tend to keep the military jump engines moving with the squadrons.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Each type of ship (military and commercial) uses a different jump engine, and I believe it isn't possible to put both types of engines on one hull (it definitely gives you a warning when you try).  So, it would take 2 types of tenders - 1 military and 1 commercial.  I use commercial jump tenders all the time, but I do tend to keep the military jump engines moving with the squadrons.
The question isn't about military vs commercial, but about civilian shipping lines.

Civilians do not make use of jump tenders.

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
I can confirm, civilians will not make any use of jump tenders, at all. Kinda makes sense, actually.

The following users thanked this post: Seolferwulf

Offline Seolferwulf (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
Thanks, that answers my question.
Seems like I'll have to make some jump points traverseable, if I want to make use of civilian shipping lines in systems other than Sol.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
As long as you have SM not much is permanent.

What is stopping you from strapping some explosives to the stabilisation module or firing a few missiles?

RP all the way!  8)

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 02:44:03 PM »

What is stopping you from strapping some explosives to the stabilisation module or firing a few missiles?

RP all the way!  8)
The fact that blowing up the stabilization module (which is a ship or station component, not an unmodeled fiction element) doesn't in any way un-stabilize the jump points it has previously stabilized?

You can RP quite a lot of things of course, but the jump gate to point stabilization lore change seems to directly speak to how the pathways aren't something you can just blow up.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that the hardware that can stabilize the jump point probably could be reversed to destabilize it. It might take the same amount of time as stabilizing the point would, but that arguably makes the exercise more interesting - if you want to sever the highway you'd have to hold the cut point secure for months while the demolition gets done.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »

RP all the way!  8)
The fact that blowing up the stabilization module (which is a ship or station component, not an unmodeled fiction element) doesn't in any way un-stabilize the jump points it has previously stabilized?

You can RP quite a lot of things of course, but the jump gate to point stabilization lore change seems to directly speak to how the pathways aren't something you can just blow up.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that the hardware that can stabilize the jump point probably could be reversed to destabilize it. It might take the same amount of time as stabilizing the point would, but that arguably makes the exercise more interesting - if you want to sever the highway you'd have to hold the cut point secure for months while the demolition gets done.
I'd be happy even if destabilization took twice as long and required the stabilizer ship to be repaired afterwards.

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »

RP all the way!  8)

The only change I am aware of is in name only, from Jump Gate to Jump Stabilization. SM RP solves everything in this case. I write my own lore and in this case it is not even needed. If the need arises I will send Stabilization ship to the JP, wait X days (x= days the module is rated at), turn SM on and Unstabilize the JP. Players sets the limits and while some acts might raise an eyebrow even for the more tolerant people I doubt this is the case.  ;D

Or Hollywood style, sending a warship in ahead of enemy approaching and exploding right at the JP, cutting me from that system at a big loss but buying me much more time to respond. Michael Bay style.  8)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:44:01 PM by Ri0Rdian »

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
I've been using long range commercial jump carriers throughout my empire to great effect. I have civilian shipping disabled however.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »
I've been using long range commercial jump carriers throughout my empire to great effect. I have civilian shipping disabled however.

At what tonnage/class?

I never really explored commercial jump ships other than one or two emergency cargo ships if I need to move something really badly outside the network.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 08:45:24 AM »
In my last game I had ships with 90kt rated jump engines. They also served as tankers, supply ships and ordnance carriers.