Author Topic: Population growth technology  (Read 2977 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Population growth technology
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 05:16:39 PM »
While we are at it, it would also be nice to block pop growth for orbital habitats instead of shipping people out every time they get crowded. Maybe a special law restricting children? Also do you know what would happen if we move one habitat to elsewhere? Does pops come with us or they stay and sufficate? I suspect second option.
I disagree with extra limits on habitat population growth.  It should be handled exactly the same as planet population limits.  Habitats don't take any people with them when moved, which I consider a bug.

Yeah, fair enough. But what should be the strategy stabilizing them then? Adding more habitats, shipping out people consistently? Because of their size, their movement is not so practical and they have the special case which they don't respect upper limit when growing. Maybe just before pop cap is reached, growth can go down to zero?
Growth rate already reduces towards zero as the population approaches the body cap.  Habitats count towards that cap.  That they don't respect the reduced growth rate is a bug which has already been reported.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »
While we are at it, it would also be nice to block pop growth for orbital habitats instead of shipping people out every time they get crowded. Maybe a special law restricting children? Also do you know what would happen if we move one habitat to elsewhere? Does pops come with us or they stay and sufficate? I suspect second option.
I disagree with extra limits on habitat population growth.  It should be handled exactly the same as planet population limits.  Habitats don't take any people with them when moved, which I consider a bug.

Yeah, fair enough. But what should be the strategy stabilizing them then? Adding more habitats, shipping out people consistently? Because of their size, their movement is not so practical and they have the special case which they don't respect upper limit when growing. Maybe just before pop cap is reached, growth can go down to zero?
Growth rate already reduces towards zero as the population approaches the body cap.  Habitats count towards that cap.  That they don't respect the reduced growth rate is a bug which has already been reported.

Then it's a good thing. :)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
I'd add in technology that expands the natural lives of your guys as well. Biology needs more useful tech imo.

The problem with this is that it does not have to lead to higher population growth at all except some spike in total population. Population growth is a very complex issue in real life.

It should probably stay as a limiting factor to be one encouraging factor to spread out your population in many small places.

Ok, but I dont know what that has to do with having tech that increases the lifespan of leaders to make biology better.

You could add a bunch if healthcare techs, like one to keep leaders from developing health issues, or another to booster the base characteristics of leaders with gene therapy. Mabye even the ability to make clones for your army.