Author Topic: Scaling Spaceports?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Scaling Spaceports?
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »
So as far as I can tell from the wiki, Spaceports cargo ships, ordinance transfer hubs, and refueling hubs all-in-one. I don't know if they do anything else, not that they'd really need to.

What I want to know is if they scale their capabilities per level. The wiki didn't say anything about it, even though the obvious answer would be yes I think.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Scaling Spaceports?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
Spaceport does not stack for ammo transfer: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104196#msg104196

Multiple spaceports or ordnance transfer stations at the colony will not increase the rate of ordnance transfer.

So I presume it is the same for other functions.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
That's disappointing if true. I like the idea of building up your spaceport until you have something truly massive that can easily resupply multiple fleets. Like the Earth Torus from X3 that stretches all the way around the Earth.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:53:37 PM »
Additional spaceports benefit freight and ground troop loading times.  I'm not certain about MSP transfers but they use the same shuttles used for freight.

Offline Treahblade

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
Quote from: SpikeTheHobbitMage link=topic=11487. msg134182#msg134182 date=1590008017
Additional spaceports benefit freight and ground troop loading times.   I'm not certain about MSP transfers but they use the same shuttles used for freight.

Are you sure about this? Steve stated the below
"Spaceports and Cargo Shuttle Stations can service any number of ships simultaneously but they do not stack.  In effect they count as a single Cargo Shuttle Bay for any ship at the population. "

But I am not sure he is saying that they don't stack together or that they do not stack if you have multiple of the same kind? ex.  2 spaceports. 

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »
this is very important actually... I have always assumed they stack...
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Tuck Davis

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:41:34 AM »
That's why I always just build and carry around Spaceports.  There is just no benefit using the specialized variants.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:40 AM »
That's why I always just build and carry around Spaceports.  There is just no benefit using the specialized variants.

I disagree. On most of my colonies in Sol I end up putting just the cargo shuttles on them. You only really need 1 refueling and 1 ordinance body per system in most cases IMO.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 02:31:45 AM »

You need population for Spaceport, that is not the case for specialized variants, this is most likely not a concern on large colonies, but it can be a considered for small ones.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 02:35:12 AM »
Spaceports are also more expensive to build.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:30 AM »
In general, if you believe something is obviously unbalanced and flawed, then take a 2nd look. Steve is not that bad in game balancing  ;D

Offline roug

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 03:31:38 AM »
Are you guys chatting about the spaceport you can build in industry tab?

Offline Treahblade

• Petty Officer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »

Yes were trying to determine if having more then a single port increases anything as there is some confusion about it.

I really don't see a reason to ever build shuttle stations anywhere since you technically need a cargo ship with shuttles to carry them to somewhere and at that point just use cargo ships with shuttle bays. I guess you could use them in a game similar to mine where I am not using mass drivers if you needed  a fast cargo ship or something and wanted to save weight on shuttle bays..

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »

Yes were trying to determine if having more then a single port increases anything as there is some confusion about it.

I really don't see a reason to ever build shuttle stations anywhere since you technically need a cargo ship with shuttles to carry them to somewhere and at that point just use cargo ships with shuttle bays. I guess you could use them in a game similar to mine where I am not using mass drivers if you needed  a fast cargo ship or something and wanted to save weight on shuttle bays..

What if you want to resupply MSP from a planet onto a ship that isn't a freighter?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »
After looking at it again spaceports and the specialized facilities don't stack with each other nor with themselves.  If you need all three on the same colony and have workers available then the spaceport is cheaper at 3k BP vs 3600 BP for a full set of specialized installations.  If you don't need all three then the specialized installations are always cheaper.

Shuttle stations however stack with freighter shuttles.  That is, having a shuttle station counts as having one extra shuttle on every ship in orbit, including ships that don't have their own shuttles.  Additional shuttle stations don't stack, however.

It depends on how much stuff you need to move.  A freighter with one shuttle bay will load or unload twice as quickly if there is a spaceport or shuttle station present, and the load time with two shuttle bays is reduced by 1/3.  So if your freighters have one shuttle bay each and you are moving more than 500k tons* to a planet then you are better off moving a shuttle station there first.  If your freighters have two shuttle bays then the tipping point is 750k tons.

*500k tons is 200 infrastructure, or 100 infrastructure and 1/5 million colonists.  This makes a big difference for civilian colonization efforts and trade.