Author Topic: Using components in Shipbuilding  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Using components in Shipbuilding
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
I just realised that I haven't coded the option to use pre-built components when building a ship. I was about to start fixing that when I considered not having that option at all. It makes the game more challenging and require more forward planning.

Interested in feedback on that idea.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
Re: Using components in Shipbuilding
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Wouldn't this prevent you from incorporating salvaged and excavated alien components? If so, I'm agin it.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »
I think this game _is_ about (roleplaying) forward planning. The more the better!

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »
I never really cared for it for that reason, and don't use it (it's also more micromanagement). So I approve of not having the option.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »
to speak only for myself I would code the possibility use pre-build components into C# - everyone who does not want to use the feature can ignore it, who wants to use it can use it still...

I have played games were I forgot about the feature as well as games I used it...

also, as the question about salvaged ship componets shows, the feature would have to be implemented as far as using salvaged components are involved - so I think/hope it does not add a lot of coding to implement...

The following users thanked this post: Rook

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »
also, as the question about salvaged ship componets shows, the feature would have to be implemented as far as using salvaged components are involved - so I think/hope it does not add a lot of coding to implement...

Unless I remove components from ruins as well and instead add 'blueprints' that would provide research points in the same way as wreck salvage. The components are generally scrapped for tech anyway so this just reduces micromanagement. Instead of physical components, you would learn how to build your own.

The following users thanked this post: clement, Nori, Kiri

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »

Unless I remove components from ruins as well and instead add 'blueprints' that would provide research points in the same way as wreck salvage. The components are generally scrapped for tech anyway so this just reduces micromanagement. Instead of physical components, you would learn how to build your own.

Will research progress be universal/shared between planets in C#? It was an important reason to have components instead of just research progress from ruins in VB Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: clement

Offline jonw

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Against; as has already been stated, if people find this makes things easier, then they are free not to use it. However, for those who want to, it is a useful feature.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »
I would love to continue to have the option of prebuilt and salvaged components in ships. The role-play of being able to have a ramshackle ship built of scavenged weapons and components And the practical aspects of having FACs buildkits or scouts in a box where every you have an appropriate shipyard. I would definitely miss these possibilities
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
i liked that you could ship components instead of minerals, made colonies more useful and added flavour to them, if having them on planets is to convenient maybe require a freighter to move them into the shipyard

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »
While I very, very, very rarely use the feature myself, I'd appreciate it being coded into C# Aurora. More options, the better. Plus, I do want to build a one-off special ship using alien components in my C# campaigns too.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
A few (scattered) thoughts.

1) I've never made much use of it myself, tbh. I generally find my shipyard space is more abundant than my factory space. But then, I'm a relative newbie who hasn't gotten all that deep into the game before.

2) It seems odd to me that they're a way of moving production from a shipyard into a construction factory. On principle, shipyard-made components appeal to me more than factory-made, but I can't think of any way to balance a shipyard producing components instead (it'd sort of make a mockery of the size limits in practice).

3) I like the idea of using components to speed up production, if only because it's a worthwhile usage for salvaged/scrapped ships. I don't know if there's a reasonable way to do this without just keeping the current system, though.

4) For salvaging alien wrecks, "blueprints" work just fine. To avoid the headache of needing to move it around (or to share research), maybe make it something like a 50% cost reduction to the appropriate tech, perhaps.

5) I see why people say "throw it in, people can just choose not to use it", but that seems to ignore the cost of you needing to code it in. If it's a ten-minute job then fine, but if it's a bigger feature(which I assume it is, if it hasn't been done in the years you've been working on this), then it doesn't strike me as a high priority. Perhaps add it in a later version, if that's the main reason.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:45:12 PM by Alsadius »

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, Kristover

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
1) I like the idea of transitioning alien tech over to blueprints rather than components.  It never really made sense to me that alien tech components could be integrated wholesale into a human-designed ships.

2) I too like the idea of building components separately from ships which then could be shipped rather than the minerals.  I could easily envision having an industrial Mars or Earth build components then shipped to a Luna shipping yard for final assembly.

3)  That being said, I also echo the previous poster that talked about coding difficulty.  I think there comes a point where the complexity might be too much and being a coding ignorant person, I imagine it would be difficult/complex to code the necessary conditions for the AI to effectively use.  This is a bit of abstraction - i.e not having prebuilt components - which I could easily live with especially if it meant more time spent on features which I do really want like the ground combat, NPR invasions, and the diplomacy system.

Iranon

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
While I usually break components down for research, some of my most beloved designs incorporated alien components that I would never have built that way. Playing as a scavenging civilisation with little real R&D of their own was awesome. Making use of superior captured equipment makes for very good war stories.

I'd be sad to see this aspect go. Aurora is at its best when it throws you something odd, be it disaster or opportunity. Forcing the player into a predictable long-term plan streamlines some of the life away.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
I think the general consensus is leave it in, so I will start coding :)

The following users thanked this post: hubgbf, clement, Marski, alex_brunius, RagnarVaren, Xtrem532, Munashe, Rook, King-Salomon, xenoscepter