Author Topic: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 69343 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
I set up a supply order at Earth for 9 mass drivers, then added a request for 1 mass driver at mars and 1 at the comet Wolf. I expected a civilian freighter to move one (1) mass driver to Mars, and another to move one (1) mass driver to the comet Wolf. The actual result was that two (2) freighters moved mass drivers to Mars, and two (2) moved mass drivers to Wolf.

My game has two civilian shipping lines, but I see from the ship history that one line delivered one mass driver, and the other line delivered three using two ships. This excerpt from the FCT_FleetHistory table shows that three mass drivers were loaded at Earth before any of them arrived, and that the final mass driver was loaded after a previous one had already arrived at the same destination.

Code: [Select]
sqlite> select * from fct_fleethistory where description like '%Mass Driver' order by gametime desc;
38|18632|Wolf: Unload Installation - Mass Driver|1366154010.0
38|18632|Earth: Load Installation - Mass Driver|1364908410.0
38|18641|Wolf: Unload Installation - Mass Driver|1364879610.0
38|18809|Mars: Unload Installation - Mass Driver|1364555610.0
38|18632|Mars: Unload Installation - Mass Driver|1364224410.0
38|18809|Earth: Load Installation - Mass Driver|1363878810.0
38|18632|Earth: Load Installation - Mass Driver|1363590810.0
38|18641|Earth: Load Installation - Mass Driver|1363590810.0

The function number
    n/a
The complete error text
    n/a
The window affected
    n/a
What you were doing at the time
    moving mass drivers to Mars and Wolf
Conventional or TN start
    conventional
Random or Real Stars
    real stars
Is your decimal separator a comma?
    no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
    easy
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well
    short

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
1.12, decimal native. ~30 years in. Conventional start.

NPRs seem to have stopped doing research. Note that this is a 1/4 research speed game.

I have a share research deal with two of the starting NPRs in my game. There is a 3rd starting NPR, as well as 3 additional NPRs spawned since game start.

I have not received ANY research results from the deal, and so I got curious. The database shows precisely 0 paused or active research projects that don't belong to me. Furthermore, the GameLog table contains no research complete events that are not from my race id. However, there are ALSO no "inactive research facility" events for the NPRs in the log, either. Maybe they just don't get those? Intel indicates that all the NPRs HAVE labs. They just are not using them.

The weirdest part is that, at one point, they WERE using them. I have encountered ships from the starting NPRs with different levels of engine tech. So at least for a while they were researching new tech.

I had to go into the database to fix the screw up with multiple projects for auxiliary control, so it's at least POSSIBLE I broke something. But I'm pretty sure this issue predates any database edits, though I've only just now noticed it. In particular, the paused research table (the one I needed to edit to fix the doubled projects) only had stuff from my race even before I made any changes. Still, it would be nice if someone could confirm this!

SJW: The NPRs don't do research projects in the same way as players. Instead, they research groups of projects linked to their design theme. The cost and results of the research is the same and they still use the output from research facilities to generate research points, but it is handled in the background rather than via the UI, which means you won't see any NPR research in the DB. It also takes a while to research a project group, after which they get all the new techs at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:37:58 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2020, 03:46:34 AM »
I have an update to my previous but report about extra deliveries. I added a supply order on Wolf for one mass driver, and a demand for one mass driver on Hyperion. Three freighters belonging Horsey Logistics (yes, that's what they named it) have picked up mass drivers from Earth and are taking them to Hyperion. One is unloading and two are on the way.

Here are the relevant entries from FCT_PopInstallationDemand:

Code: [Select]
sqlite> select * from fct_popinstallationdemand where populationid = 5573;
  PopulationID = 5573
InstallationID = 24
        Amount = 2.0
        Export = 1
        GameID = 38
  NonEssential = 0
sqlite> select * from fct_popinstallationdemand where populationid = 5955;
  PopulationID = 5955
InstallationID = 24
        Amount = 1.0
        Export = 0
        GameID = 38
  NonEssential = 0

You can see that there are still two mass drivers available at Earth (out of the five that were there), and Hyperion is still wanting to import one (presumably because the first freighter hasn't finished unloading yet). I don't see any table in the database that records whether ships have been assigned to this task or not, so I'm not really sure how that's supposed to work. Possibly it's supposed to search the relevant civilian ships to see if any have orders to drop off that installationid at that populationid?

I've uploaded my database here: http://db48x.net/Aurora/rediscovery%202:%20conventional%20start%20in%204000%20with%20v1.12/AuroraDB.2_extra_deliveries_in_progress.zip

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »

NPRs seem to have stopped doing research. Note that this is a 1/4 research speed game.

I have a share research deal with two of the starting NPRs in my game. There is a 3rd starting NPR, as well as 3 additional NPRs spawned since game start.

I have not received ANY research results from the deal, and so I got curious. The database shows precisely 0 paused or active research projects that don't belong to me. Furthermore, the GameLog table contains no research complete events that are not from my race id. However, there are ALSO no "inactive research facility" events for the NPRs in the log, either. Maybe they just don't get those? Intel indicates that all the NPRs HAVE labs. They just are not using them.

The weirdest part is that, at one point, they WERE using them. I have encountered ships from the starting NPRs with different levels of engine tech. So at least for a while they were researching new tech.

I had to go into the database to fix the screw up with multiple projects for auxiliary control, so it's at least POSSIBLE I broke something. But I'm pretty sure this issue predates any database edits, though I've only just know noticed it. In particular, the paused research table (the one I needed to edit to fix the doubled projects) only had stuff from my race even before I made any changes. Still, it would be nice if someone could confirm this!
Yes, absolutely. I'm not too keen on going DB diving myself but it would be hugely useful if other people could confirm this as it is possibly a major issue for the AI.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »

I had to go into the database to fix the screw up with multiple projects for auxiliary control, so it's at least POSSIBLE I broke something. But I'm pretty sure this issue predates any database edits, though I've only just know noticed it. In particular, the paused research table (the one I needed to edit to fix the doubled projects) only had stuff from my race even before I made any changes. Still, it would be nice if someone could confirm this!
Yes, absolutely. I'm not too keen on going DB diving myself but it would be hugely useful if other people could confirm this as it is possibly a major issue for the AI.

I don't have a DB that can confirm this, but from what I remember reading about AI problems anyone who does should also check the AI wealth situation, it may be that they are running out of money and shutting down labs to break even (the C# AI does use money, yes?).

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
I don't have a DB that can confirm this, but from what I remember reading about AI problems anyone who does should also check the AI wealth situation, it may be that they are running out of money and shutting down labs to break even (the C# AI does use money, yes?).

Yeah, I wondered about this so I tried to find the wealth in the DB. Couldn't locate it. However, the AIs are building other stuff (they have active stuff in the Industrial Projects table).

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2020, 08:01:39 PM »
It's in the FCT_Race table, literally the next column over from the race title so it's easy to find.

The following users thanked this post: TheTalkingMeowth

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »
Got a repeating bug

"Object references not set to an instance of an object."

It cycles through quite a few function numbers, including #2608, #222, #224, and #2339.

It seems to cycle infinitely, no matter how many times I push ok.

I was just passing 30 days as normal. The game is 227 years in, random stars, decimal separator is a period, TN start.

I did have the doom option for earth enabled, but it has long singe spiraled into the sun.

PS: I tried to attach the DB file, but for some reason I cannot attach anything, when I do and push post, it refreshes the page to 'create new topic'. Strange, I didn't used to have problems attaching files before...

I've just had the same problem in my game, but it's a conventional start, 7 years into the game, I just moved some infrastructure to Mars. This must be a problem with the AI; my own civilians haven't even launched a ship yet. Although I suppose the civilians could be trying and failing to launch a ship.

I haven't even saved it yet…

I guess I'll start over. Again.

Edit: I decided to click it a few times to see if it is infinite or if it's just looping over some reasonable list of things. After a few dozen clicks it went away, so apparently the list isn't too long. Or at least it isn't long at this stage of the game; there's no telling how long it could be in principle.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:48:00 PM by db48x »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
It's in the FCT_Race table, literally the next column over from the race title so it's easy to find.
You know, I didn't even think to look in that table. Derp. Thanks!

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
v1.12.0
Conventional start with 3 NPRs, all spoilers except invaders on

Ground Forces Screen, Unit Series Tab
Conventional star
I suddenly cannot create new unit series. It WAS working when I first tried to use it (before any civilian mining complexes or alien encounters); I added a bunch of unit series right at the start of the game.

When I went back to add some new vehicle types, I now get a Function #3353: an item with the same key has already been added error when I hit OK in the name popup.

This happens for all names, even "Foo," "Bar," and "Totally not a real unit." So I doubt there is such a series already from some other race.

The issue persists after a save and reload.

+1. This issue happens once a certain amount of unit series have been created. It seems like some bug is hard capping the number of series you can have.

Adding unit series though DB editing will circumvent this issue but becomes finnicky.

I encountered the same problem. By chance, I have noticed that it suddenly starts to work again after doing stuff in the OOB tab and then go back to the Unit Series tab. I'm not yet absolutely sure what does it (or if it is reliably reproducible at all or semi-random); but this time the last thing I had done was hit the 'Clear Support' button for an HQ formation. Now, I can create new unit series again, no db editing required. Odd.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2020, 12:38:17 AM »
I encountered the same problem. By chance, I have noticed that it suddenly starts to work again after doing stuff in the OOB tab and then go back to the Unit Series tab. I'm not yet absolutely sure what does it (or if it is reliably reproducible at all or semi-random); but this time the last thing I had done was hit the 'Clear Support' button for an HQ formation. Now, I can create new unit series again, no db editing required. Odd.

I can confirm at least one precise workaround:
  • On opening the Ground Forces window for the first time after loading the game, creating a series will fail twice.
  • It will succeed on the third try.
  • Creating another series will fail, then succeed.
  • Once again, creating another series will fail, then succeed.
  • Creating additional series will succeed, even after closing and re-opening the Ground Forces window.
The name of the series does not seem to matter, i.e. it does not matter if you create a series with the same or a different name.

EDIT: I had previously mis-identified effects in the ground forces window as being the source of the problem, this was incorrect and I've deleted that from my post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:43:32 AM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Second Foundationer

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2020, 01:06:07 AM »
  • On opening the Ground Forces window for the first time after loading the game, creating a series will fail twice.
  • Creating additional series will succeed, even after closing and re-opening the Ground Forces window.
The name of the series does not seem to matter, i.e. it does not matter if you create a series with the same or a different name.

EDIT: I had previously mis-identified effects in the ground forces window as being the source of the problem, this was incorrect and I've deleted that from my post.

You seem to have pinned the problem down. I just probed the matter very quickly once more and had to go through about two dozen failed attempts. After my previous post, I had many unit series, several of them empty. Did you have two pre-existing unit series? If so, the number of failures seems to depend on the number of unit series you already have. Presumably some incrementing index that starts over (after every restart of Aurora?) when it shouldn't.

Offline mostly_harmless

• Petty Officer
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2020, 05:51:09 AM »
Commercial vessels as part of a military fleet going into overhaul, do not receive overhaul (which is correct).
However, they still suffer overhaul sluggishness when pulled out of the overhauled fleet.

v1.12 no mods

Thomas

SJW: Fixed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:26:12 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »

You seem to have pinned the problem down. I just probed the matter very quickly once more and had to go through about two dozen failed attempts. After my previous post, I had many unit series, several of them empty. Did you have two pre-existing unit series? If so, the number of failures seems to depend on the number of unit series you already have. Presumably some incrementing index that starts over (after every restart of Aurora?) when it shouldn't.

I did this testing on an existing "real" save where I had around 15-20 series already. However, I do recall that some people have had bigger problems.

However, you've given me an idea...

...okay, I checked in my database and I found the following:
1   Series L Light Rifle   40   224
2   Series M Infantry Rifle   40   224
4   Series 1 Heavy Machine Gun   40   224
6   Series 3 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher   40   224
40   Series SM-10 Marine Rifle   40   224
42   Series SM-11 Marine Heavy Machine Gun   40   224
48   Series SM-17S Marine Munitions   40   224
50   Series SM-19A Marine Company Command   40   224
58   Series 21 Armored Personnel Carrier   40   224
63   Series 23M SP Anti-Tank Gun   40   224
65   Series 24M SP Artillery Gun   40   224
67   Series 25M SP Anti-Air Gun   40   224
69   Series 27 Munitions Transport Vehicle   40   224
70   Series 29A Company Command Vehicle   40   224
71   Series 29B Battalion Command Vehicle   40   224
84   Series 33M Medium Tank   40   224
188   Series 71 Machine Gun Pillbox   40   224
191   Series 73M Anti-Tank Bunker   40   224
194   Series 74M Fortress Artillery   40   224
198   Series 75M Anti-Air Gun Emplacement   40   224
201   Series 79-B Fortified Command Post   40   224

Notice that the series ID numbers which are here match the numbers of the tries which failed to create new series in my tests - Try #1 failed, try #2 failed, try #3 (not listed) succeeded...and so on. So the hypothesis here would be that the series ID is not checked on loading a new game, and is incremented with each series one creates or attempts to create and only succeeds if the series ID is not used. This would explain why other people have many more repeated failures until they can create a new series - in my case the gaps between series IDs are due to my poking around in the DB to implement the previously-mentioned workaround (and also a couple of other points I'll note below).

To test this I booted up the same game and created 40+ series to reach the next used ID# after 6. Someone owes me a beer for this... Anyways, it pans out; I was able to create every series from #7 through #39, failed on #40, created #41, failed on #42, succeeded on #43.

So the behavior is definitely that game does not check the most recent or highest series ID on game load, starts incrementing series IDs from 1, and increments every time regardless of success or failure, only succeeding if a vacant series ID# exists.

I don't presume to know anything about Steve's code, but my suggestion for a hotfix would be to have the code for failing to create a series (which currently throws the Function #3353 error) increment the series ID repeatedly if series creation fails until an empty ID is found. Obviously this is a cheap hotfix but if the actual problem is subtle and difficult this would hopefully restore functionality in the meantime.

----

Notes:

The reason for my rather...sparse series ID spread in the DB is because I developed an ID numbering system to try and keep series ordered when I add new ones via the DB (referencing the earlier workaround posted in this thread). However, this did not work as the game does not sort the series list by ID#, the order is simply the order they are listed in the DB which is simply the chronological order of record creation. To get these sorted I this had to cut, create, and paste back my series to get the ID# order to match the chronological order. I'm not sure if this is intentional.

Additionally, I reiterate an earlier comment - there is currently no way in-game to remove a series, as the "Delete Series" button only clears the list of elements from a series. The only workaround for this is a DB edit, again.

To sum up, the series system in general needs some TLC to touch up the functionality so it all actually works as intended.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:33:45 AM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
So the behavior is definitely that game does not check the most recent or highest series ID on game load, starts incrementing series IDs from 1, and increments every time regardless of success or failure, only succeeding if a vacant series ID# exists.

That's some good bug-hunting. Obviously a slightly nicer fix would be to first query for the highest ID already used when loading the game, then start adding new rows with the next ID.