Author Topic: Year 5 NPR Arrival in Sol  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
Year 5 NPR Arrival in Sol
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:34:16 PM »
To start with this was a new TN start. 1,500 system max with a minimum NPR distance of 50LY.

It was Mid-October of Year 5 and I had just finished surveying Sol with some rudimentary survey craft when I am prompted that a new alien constant had been detecting just on the outskirts of Mars, having literally no means to react to the detection I waited a day to see what they would do and noticed they established orbit around Mars, so I politely asked them to bugger off.... and they agreed.

Diplomacy works! Huzzah!

Though the idea of NPRs now arriving at our homeworld 5 years into a fresh start is kind of off-putting. I'd often go 80 years into a VB campaign and never see a NPR.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: Year 5 NPR Arrival in Sol
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
Their home system might just be right next door. That'll make for a lively defence arrangement and some pretty interesting diplomatic problems.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
This is why basic Anti-Missile (even tho PD is so weak nowadays) STO's are one of my priorities :)

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 07:05:00 PM »
Their home system might just be right next door. That'll make for a lively defence arrangement and some pretty interesting diplomatic problems.

Given they arrived so early that's the assumption I am working under, so I've taken my time before leaving Sol to build up some basic technologies for detection and ship defence (January Year 19 is when I finally explored the JPs leaving Sol).

First jump into one of the 3 systems neighbouring Sol, I find the Sol JP is stabilised for travel, and there's at least 1 or 2 survivable planets/moons.... No sign so far though.

Edit: Ok I spoke too soon. As my Survey ship was doing a grav survey in the system a 2nd JP has stabilised..... here we go....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:14:28 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »
Aaaaaaaaand behind door #2

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:48:07 AM »
>NPRs will finally stop flying around your claimed systems unopposed and without consequences
Is this how heaven looks like?
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Demonius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 02:35:38 AM »
. . and I thought they were supposed to spawn later or further away than in VB6.  Had a Jumppoint next to Sol in the last 1. 20 game, and that one had an NPR in it as well, who reacted to my "Please leave.  Now, if possible" Message with "Nope", when they entered Sol from there.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:56 AM »
. . and I thought they were supposed to spawn later or further away than in VB6.  Had a Jumppoint next to Sol in the last 1. 20 game, and that one had an NPR in it as well, who reacted to my "Please leave.  Now, if possible" Message with "Nope", when they entered Sol from there.

There's LY limit no jump limit (and this only works with real star systems) so if you happen to get jump point to a very faraway system they could be next door to Sol

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 05:41:15 AM »
'they have no significant interest in the system'   :o

What are you trying to say Alien?  Sol not good enough for ya eh?

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 06:05:37 AM »
So you could ask them to leave before translation was successful?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »

Yes, I made a note of that :)

I'll fix that at some point.

Offline Tikigod (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 06:48:40 AM »

Yes, I made a note of that :)

I'll fix that at some point.

Kind of makes sense in that you can still relay the impression of "Frak off. This is my space" without speaking the language. :)

Offline MichaelArch

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
Looking forward to the diplomacy options, cant wait.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
Hmmm.

I think that it's a good idea to allow the inability to communicate to be a significant factor that may turn into violent behaviors, including not being able to "wave off" incoming aliens.

Stanislaw Lem's books were one of my favorites on a subject of first contact, with his alien species being so different you may not even understand that you're already in contact with somebody. Similarly, in Ender's Game series buggers were behaving the way they did because of lack of communication. Mostly. And it went very violent for both sides.

I personally decided to blast away any military ships that I may encounter near my colonies, despite having strong believes in peaceful co-existence.

So I'd rather have to resort to aggressive actions in order to keep the aliens away until the communications are established, instead of being able to magically sending them away.