Author Topic: Issue on laptop = screen size  (Read 4040 times)

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
Issue on laptop = screen size
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
well trying to play aurora and it runs ok on a laptop but the screen size has about 20% of the window off screen and theres no ability to scale the aurora windows to fit the window is it possible to have some scaling ability for the windows that popup.  Hope this makes sense just want to be able to adjust the size of each window by say 30% up or down

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Issue on laptop = screen size
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:52 PM »
Have you tried the Reduced Height Windows option in Game Parameters yet?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »
AFAIK and IIRC, this is not possible before Steve moves on from VB6. But I'm not a programmer so might have misunderstood.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
well trying to play aurora and it runs ok on a laptop but the screen size has about 20% of the window off screen and theres no ability to scale the aurora windows to fit the window is it possible to have some scaling ability for the windows that popup.  Hope this makes sense just want to be able to adjust the size of each window by say 30% up or down

A program based on C#/WPF has the ability to scale windows and controls automatically, so if you resize a window then the controls will resize with it with no code required. For VB6/Windows Forms there is no native resizing so I would have to recalculate every control size and control position manually on every window for every resize event. As the priority list for Aurora tends to be heavily influenced by what is fun to play or program :), this isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Steve

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »
thanks steve sigh its just half an inch out of screen on a 1366 by 766 display just those bottom couple of bottons on some of the screens - shame about the native resizing not being in vb6 , i guess as game and pc systems move to laptops at the very least u might ge tmore players for youre gate at some point down the track by fixing this one up

edit maybe its possible to make some of the selection buttons half size if that would be easier the only real problem i can actually see is the bottom row on the task force screen that is new TF, rename TF and delete TF under OOB row just a thought anyway or pulling the screen across a bit and putting the buttons up the right hand side instead of across the bottom
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:56:05 AM by ollobrains »

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
ok if im on that particular screen task force and want ato access the bottom menus is it possible to shift down or even a keyboard shortcut to get past the windows restcitions ?

on second look i was able to get access to those offscreen locations its a bit difficult but basically clicked system map and then tabbed a couple of times to get the tab order pulled window up it automatically reset itself but i was able to see the highlighted box and then hit enter i guess that will do for the time being
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:36:25 PM by ollobrains »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
ok if im on that particular screen task force and want ato access the bottom menus is it possible to shift down or even a keyboard shortcut to get past the windows restcitions ?

Did you try Resize Enable or the other suggestions in the FAQ forum?

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
ya max display on the laoptop is 1366 by 766.  The main problem is really the taskf orce and one other menu i can drag it to the top of the screen theres about half an inch on the bottom i can drag the top up into the top of the screen, normally i could dorp it and access the bottom bit with other programs but it seems to drop back to being flush with the top of the screen and as such cant access the bottom ones but i got a workaround drop the system map go bck into the task force map and simply tab a couple of times drag screen up to make sure its the right screen and hit enter so its solved my problem.  Already got the resize option on

anyway all good  ;D well let steve get on with more fun game play elements

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
ok, I know we had ton of discussion about this and simply vb6 can't do resizing and layout and recent windows no longer allow to scroll a window around a virtual desktop.

vb6 form can't be larger than the screen and making resizable controls around dozens of buttons is impractical.

but, I found this suggestion from microsoft itself: put all the controls within a picture box within a form, and you'll have scrollbars to scroll the entire window content around as if it were one.

ok, it sounds weird at first but should light a bulb in any programmer's head. imagine having the entire economic screen with two scrollbars that move the form around so that you can have it in a small windows and still be able to access every functionality (albeit with a bit of scrolling and juggling around)

Here is the reference with code samples and stuff:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/109741