Author Topic: Genetic Modification Questions  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Micco40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
Genetic Modification Questions
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
I've finally put my toe in the water of ground troops, but ended up with questions.   I saw this was discussed in several other topics, but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for hence the post.   I'm sorry if this is a redo of another thread, but I could not find anything that directly answered my questions.   

My question is in two parts:

1 ) I saw that Genetic Modifications were apparently turned off or not active in one of the past versions.   Has that been fixed or re-enabled?

2) If Genetic Modification does work now, is there a benefit to stacking different levels of Genetic Enhancement (i. e. , basic, improved, advanced) on a single soldier? 

Any thoughts, help or direction would be appreciated.   

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Genetic Modification Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
I've finally put my toe in the water of ground troops, but ended up with questions.   I saw this was discussed in several other topics, but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for hence the post.   I'm sorry if this is a redo of another thread, but I could not find anything that directly answered my questions.   

My question is in two parts:

1 ) I saw that Genetic Modifications were apparently turned off or not active in one of the past versions.   Has that been fixed or re-enabled?

2) If Genetic Modification does work now, is there a benefit to stacking different levels of Genetic Enhancement (i. e. , basic, improved, advanced) on a single soldier? 

Any thoughts, help or direction would be appreciated.

You mixing up the cakes here.

Genetic Modification through biological research applies to your race improving and modifying their core tolerance making possible to colonize worlds out of your optimal range.
This is not been implemented yet even if the research field is there

For the troops there is a different research tree under ground and logistic. These modifications apply to your troops once you design them with the enanchement.
This is already working and requires you only to research the tech and design the new troop

Offline Micco40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11676. msg137314#msg137314 date=1592346497

Genetic Modification through biological research applies to your race improving and modifying their core tolerance making possible to colonize worlds out of your optimal range.

For the troops there is a different research tree under ground and logistic.  These modifications apply to your troops once you design them with the enanchement.
This is already working and requires you only to research the tech and design the new troop

Froggie, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest that I had that mixed up.   Very much appreciate the clarification. 

So do the ground troop enhancements stack or do I just pick the highest level of the modification I have researched?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »

For the troops there is a different research tree under ground and logistic.  These modifications apply to your troops once you design them with the enanchement.

Froggie, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest that I had that mixed up.   Very much appreciate the clarification. 

So do the ground troop enhancements stack or do I just pick the highest level of the modification I have researched?

I am not sure what you mean as there is only one kind per factor.

You can stack multiple enhancements by using control and click, so you could potentially have a rift valley and desert unit, or a low gravity mountain one or even simply one unit with all of the enhancements active.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 12:20:11 AM »

You can stack multiple enhancements by using control and click, so you could potentially have a rift valley and desert unit, or a low gravity mountain one or even simply one unit with all of the enhancements active.
Beware that the cost multipliers are cumulative, so adding more capabilities gets expensive.

Offline Micco40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 07:31:12 AM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11676. msg137337#msg137337 date=1592365831

OK understood and I appreciate that bit of information.   I had seen that in another thread as well, so I've got to grips with that.   

My question was related to the different levels of Genetic Enhancement.   I started researching it and now have the following:

Advanced Genetic Enhancement
Basic Genetic Enhancement
Improved Genetic Enhancement

They all seem to be levels of the same enhancement.   I've also got other ones, but I believe i understand those as they are pretty straight forward.   The above three, not so much.   

Can the above Genetic Enhancements (basic, improved, advanced) be stacked and is there any actual benefit to doing so? 

Offline Micco40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 07:33:44 AM »
Quote from: SpikeTheHobbitMage link=topic=11676. msg137351#msg137351 date=1592371211

Beware that the cost multipliers are cumulative, so adding more capabilities gets expensive.

Spike, yes thank you for that reminder.   I did see that when I was trying to figure out what each of the enhancements did.   It gets very expensive if I add all of the modifiers I have researched, so I likely will stick to specialized troop types (i. e.  Alpine/ Mountain Warfare, Desert Warfare, etc. )

Offline Azuraal

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »
Quote from: Micco40 link=topic=11676. msg137362#msg137362 date=1592397072
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11676.  msg137337#msg137337 date=1592365831

OK understood and I appreciate that bit of information.    I had seen that in another thread as well, so I've got to grips with that.   

My question was related to the different levels of Genetic Enhancement.    I started researching it and now have the following:

They all seem to be levels of the same enhancement.    I've also got other ones, but I believe i understand those as they are pretty straight forward.    The above three, not so much.   

Can the above Genetic Enhancements (basic, improved, advanced) be stacked and is there any actual benefit to doing so?
You can technically stack them in that units will have those enchantments listed and cost will be adjusted, but if you look at the health only the best one applies.
So you can technically, but there is absolutely no benefit to doing so.

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
Quote from: Micco40 link=topic=11676. msg137362#msg137362 date=1592397072
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11676.  msg137337#msg137337 date=1592365831

OK understood and I appreciate that bit of information.    I had seen that in another thread as well, so I've got to grips with that.   

My question was related to the different levels of Genetic Enhancement.    I started researching it and now have the following:

They all seem to be levels of the same enhancement.    I've also got other ones, but I believe i understand those as they are pretty straight forward.    The above three, not so much.   

You can technically stack them in that units will have those enchantments listed and cost will be adjusted, but if you look at the health only the best one applies.
So you can technically, but there is absolutely no benefit to doing so.

I kinda wish that it did stack but additively. So at max tech level (45 atk, 45 arm) with improved + advanced you would have 45 + 45 + 27 = 117 HP infantry for example. The costs should still stack multiplicatively so that infantry would get very expensive very fast. I think combined with heavy armor and all the gene mods you might end up with what is basically a light vehicle with less evasion though. But I suppose it would take up much less tonnage so there is some benefit to it. I think it would be the perfect abstraction for infantry combat mechs.

Offline Micco40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »

I kinda wish that it did stack but additively. So at max tech level (45 atk, 45 arm) with improved + advanced you would have 45 + 45 + 27 = 117 HP infantry for example. The costs should still stack multiplicatively so that infantry would get very expensive very fast. I think combined with heavy armor and all the gene mods you might end up with what is basically a light vehicle with less evasion though. But I suppose it would take up much less tonnage so there is some benefit to it. I think it would be the perfect abstraction for infantry combat mechs.

...or a detachment of Imperial Space Marines enforcing the will of the Emperor on Xenos and the Forces of Chaos  ;D.

I for one wouldn't mind paying a buttload of production for the narrative element of a heavily modified version of whatever race I choose to play that could sustain more damage than a regular infantry unit or even some armored units. 

Obviously they wouldn't be everywhere as they would be just prohibitively expensive, but they could be "shock troops" to defend key production worlds under attack or as the forces that I send in to lay the hammer down on some Xenos.