Author Topic: Some thoughts on modding C# (no drama)  (Read 3860 times)

Offline hopeless4xnoob (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • h
Some thoughts on modding C# (no drama)
« on: April 16, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
r/aurora put out a call for new moderators.  I would have applied, but after reading Steve's post this morning about the first mod released, no way. 

I told them (the mods at r/aurora) how they could have very easily avoided this.  They could have used a tool called AutoModerator for Reddit to set up a simple filter that would have sent any post containing the word 'mod' to the moderator queue instead of being published.  That's it.  5 minutes or less of work. 

That they did not do this probably indicates that they don't care.  Given how firm you've been about no C# modding, this is something they really should have thought to do. 

Steve, I just want to say that while I'm new here, I have a great amount of respect for what you're doing.  You're releasing a complex, well thought out game for free.  The bottom line is that no one is entitled to feature requests here, and that includes mod support. 

A game like Rimworld benefits greatly from mod support.  But that's because Tynan built that game with mod support in mind.  Your game is different, and that's cool.  That's great, actually.  Because I know when I'm playing Aurora 4X, I'm experiencing it the way the developer intended.  There are plenty of games out there; we don't need to be able to mod them all. 

Ignore the entitled individuals on Reddit and elsewhere.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: Some thoughts on modding C# (no drama)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
Some thoughts on modding C#
Yeah i have one : DONT. Just DONT.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:28:09 AM »
I'm so confused, so someone made a mod and there was a post about this and I missed it all?

• Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
Quote from: DFNewb link=topic=10785.  msg123914#msg123914 date=1587047289
I'm so confused, so someone made a mod and there was a post about this and I missed it all?

Someone released a QoL mod that (I think) allowed some resizing.   Thing is, as you're probably aware, a seemingly small mod can still cause bugs.   The kids on Reddit don't seem to understand this and are having a hissy fit. 

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »

Someone released a QoL mod that (I think) allowed some resizing.   Thing is, as you're probably aware, a seemingly small mod can still cause bugs.   The kids on Reddit don't seem to understand this and are having a hissy fit.

I just looked around and found some stuff about it.

I mean if the guy was a real fan he would of PM'ed it to Steve or something and ask him to implement it into the game.

Offline 01010100

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
Question is if it will be possible to stop people releasing mods, the internet is a big place. A checksum still seems a good precaution, and could be as simple as this:
Code: [Select]

private static string GetChecksum()
{
    var file = Path.Combine(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory, "Aurora.exe");
    var bytes = File.ReadAllBytes(file);
    using (var sha = SHA256.Create())
    {
        var hash = sha.ComputeHash(bytes);
        return Convert.ToBase64String(hash.Take(8).ToArray());
    }
}
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:08:52 AM by 01010100 »

Offline JohnnyR

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »

I mean if the guy was a real fan he would of PM'ed it to Steve or something and ask him to implement it into the game.

According to the author, He did, and Steve refused. The game in it's current color scheme is unplayable for me, so while I didn't download the mod, I'm frustrated as it shows how incredibly trivial it would be to fix it. (one line of code).

C'mon Steve, help us out. We want to play your incredible game. For now I'm stuck waiting.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »

According to the author, He did, and Steve refused. The game in it's current color scheme is unplayable for me, so while I didn't download the mod, I'm frustrated as it shows how incredibly trivial it would be to fix it. (one line of code).

C'mon Steve, help us out. We want to play your incredible game. For now I'm stuck waiting.

Then he should of just kept it to himself.

Offline muzzlehead

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »
I would lock this thread.   The decision has been made. . .  no mods.     

If you feel this is heavy handed or unfair, find another free (or low priced; steam has sales) 4x game to play.   

Its Steve's decision to make and he has made it.

The following users thanked this post: thashepherd, Ektor

• Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
Quote from: muzzlehead link=topic=10785. msg123931#msg123931 date=1587049092
I would lock this thread.    The decision has been made.  .  .   no mods.     

If you feel this is heavy handed or unfair, find another free (or low priced; steam has sales) 4x game to play.   

Its Steve's decision to make and he has made it.

Agreed now.  Making this thread was kind of short sighted of me. 

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
I would suggest adding a rule to the forum rules indicating that the concept of modding Steve's Aurora as verboten, given that just about all any passer-by or returning member could understand about it is "Word of mouth was that the developer didn't want that."
Enumerating it in the rules would ensure that individuals can be redirected to a consistent and simple element of the board to quell ongoing discussion, and will be a lot more clear of a message to send than locking topics until everyone "gets it" collectively. (which they won't)

The following users thanked this post: muzzlehead, BAGrimm, Ektor

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »

Well, there have been multiple replies in the suggestion thread about color scheme changes and other QoL improvements. It's not like these suggestions fall on deaf ears; it's likely that Steve would get around to allowing customizability if a lot of us have asked for it. It's only a matter of time, and most probably after the current bug-fixing period.

The following users thanked this post: AlitarSemiramis

Offline JohnnyR

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »

Well, there have been multiple replies in the suggestion thread about color scheme changes and other QoL improvements. It's not like these suggestions fall on deaf ears; it's likely that Steve would get around to allowing customizability if a lot of us have asked for it. It's only a matter of time, and most probably after the current bug-fixing period.

I'm not sure they will, given we've been suggesting this since literally the first screenshot of C#. Priorities, I know  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:59:27 AM by JohnnyR »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »

If he did, its news to me :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »

I haven't had chance to look at suggestion yet, as I still defending against the bug hordes. However, as shown in the screenshots from the post below, I know how to do this. It just depends on priorities.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8455.msg94287#msg94287

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK, firsal, Vizzy, AlitarSemiramis, EvadingHostileFleets, Protomolecule