Author Topic: Sloooooooowing down and speedingup  (Read 3389 times)

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Sloooooooowing down and speedingup
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »
I'm fairly certain that civ's and NPR's don't have to refuel, in fact they pretty much ignore fuel entirely. As far as I know the only limitation on range for civ ships looking for a trade target is that it has to be within 4 jumps of their current location, and the route has to be linked with jumpgates.

My preferred solution to civ shipping going everywhere, would be for each civilian company to be founded on a random world that has a commercial spaceport constructed and it's ships will only look for jobs within a certain distance/number of jumps of that world, with default orders to return to the company base if there are no available jobs.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
NPRs have zero fuel usage engines, and those do spill over occasionally thanks to ruins or salvage, but civs don't, they do refuel, or atleast they say that they refuel:

http://imageshack.us/f/826/refuel.jpg/

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
I popped into this thread simply to say twelve monkeys is my favorite movie of all time.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:43 AM »
NPRs have zero fuel usage engines, and those do spill over occasionally thanks to ruins or salvage, but civs don't, they do refuel, or atleast they say that they refuel:

http://imageshack.us/f/826/refuel.jpg/
Well here's the thing, my civs I know don't, or at very least don't have the standard. How do I know this? I had a massive system, that I did not realise was massive. I set up a civilian contract and also had some of my freighters, of the same class as the civilians, begin hauling stuff. A few years later I get the message that freighter group had run out of fuel. I check it, and indeed they were stranded in this huge system. The civs however were still happily (if slowly) chugging along. They managed to deliver their cargo and return home, whilst my freighters of the exact same class were either... unable to even reach the target planet (which had no fuel stocks), or barely got there and definitely couldn't make it very far home. I've also never seen that refueling thing on a civ ship personally.

Edit: Checking, the designs they were using had a range of 45 billion km and the planets orbits the star at 72 billion km, which is approximately the same distance as the jump point from the planet (even if we give or take a generous 10 billion it still wouldn't reach).

Double edit: Actually, I also distinctly remember an older class with a range of 24.7 billion taking part on behalf of the civs too
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:57:16 AM by Person012345 »

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
Most of my games start slowing after the first NPR combat increment reduction occurs.  I believe it has something to do with the 5 sec sensor check for systems with more than one race.

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
a related question to the fuel issue: I have all these mighty space-freighters, and I want to trade with the aliens I discovered.

But my civilian freighters aren't going there. I have trade access, they have trade access, is it because my freighters are out of range, cause I don't think that's true.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
Also, I have another possibility for the problem: During my reshuffling of my space fleets, I accidentally gave a large space construction scow to the other race. It's got no sensors except the tiny close-range thermal sensors, but is sitting right on top of the highest traffic area in known space. Is this maybe part of the problem. Is there a way to delete this ship without hitting it with an alpha strike? I don't want to piss off the gliesens...they're cute and very nice.

I do believe we have a winner!  Small sensors in a busy area, populated primarily by a different empire's shipping, will require frequent checks for sensor contacts.  I do not know how to delete an NPR's vessels.  However, if the ship in question can not be removed from play, you may be able to minimize the impact it's sensors have on sensor checks.  Build a PDC with maximum size and sensitivity thermal sensors on the planet the S.S. Myopic is orbiting, and give it to the locals.  Sensor checks will still occur, but should progress much more quickly than before, as things are simply considered to be in range, and are not running into and out of sensor range at 5 second intervals.

Be careful though, when designing your thermal sensor.  Make sure that the range it covers for small strength signals does not exceed the integer buffer.  Or, simply design a thermal sensor which can detect a strength 5 thermal signature at a range slightly larger than the radius of the entire system, and can always cover the jump points.

Finding a way to simply delete the ship from space and time may be a better option, though.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
well, I might blow it up too.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
RE removing pesky ship without incurring diplomatic penalties:

Use SM mode to create a new empire of the same race as you (pick a place you have sensor cover to, make a homeworld, advance time, SM establish contact, abandon colony).  Give one of your ships to them.  The new empire shoots the target ship out of the sky, new empire goes to war with your allies.  New empire gives the ship back to you. 

SM repair/rearm your ship. 

Cost: your empire selection boxes will permanently have this second empire.  But it's useful for this sort of thing. 

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Yep...I bet one of my space captains is gonna have a Dr. Strangelove style freakout moment and blast the heck outta that ship.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
RE removing pesky ship without incurring diplomatic penalties:

Use SM mode to create a new empire of the same race as you (pick a place you have sensor cover to, make a homeworld, advance time, SM establish contact, abandon colony).  Give one of your ships to them.  The new empire shoots the target ship out of the sky, new empire goes to war with your allies.  New empire gives the ship back to you. 

SM repair/rearm your ship. 

Cost: your empire selection boxes will permanently have this second empire.  But it's useful for this sort of thing. 
You can delete it from the view race screen, that should get rid of it as a selection.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
You can delete it from the view race screen, that should get rid of it as a selection.

I think this is wrong, there is a "delete class" funciton, but the ship remains, now it's just called "ID 1198774545q4" or whatever, instead of "Theta"

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »

I think this is wrong, there is a "delete class" funciton, but the ship remains, now it's just called "ID 1198774545q4" or whatever, instead of "Theta"
He was saying that by creating a new race to transfer your ship to for proxy-OPs (transferring a warship to a third party to take a swipe at the NPR problem ship without incurring diplomatic penalties), you will forever have the proxy race cluttering up your race selector. Or that's how I took it. But you can actually remove the race you created by going Empires > View Race Details > Delete
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:47:40 PM by Person012345 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
Note that this might leave a ghost contact in your system map that shows up as hostile or neutral. Has happened to me. It's only effect is that it scares civilian shipping but if you clear out their orders, they ignore the ghost and operate normally in the future.