Author Topic: Is it just me or does gauss PD ships not hit all the missiles anymore  (Read 2436 times)

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
in VB with a bit of tracking speed and turret upgrades I am able to take 0 missile hits from precursors. I think it's about 20000km/s tracking for turret and 4x size fire control to match.
It would intercept missiles 4/5 times.

In C# this is not the case, similar tech is only hitting about 1/10 missiles.

Anyone know what's going on? Any advice? Are missiles and AMM's the only way?

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
What is the tracking speed of your fire control and the enemy missile?

I noticed on the class designer that if anything is faster than the fire control rating the game shows hit chance as 0. Maybe this is a bug? Instead of reducing to hit chance it drops the hit chance to 0 if something is faster than your tracking?

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
What is the tracking speed of your fire control and the enemy missile?

I noticed on the class designer that if anything is faster than the fire control rating the game shows hit chance as 0. Maybe this is a bug? Instead of reducing to hit chance it drops the hit chance to 0 if something is faster than your tracking?

It seems like the missiles are just faster in general while tracking speed is the same.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
Missile engines were changed to be part of the missile design itself, but that shouldn't change their power?

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
NPRs are better at designing ships and missiles now, that's your issue.  Their salvo sizes are larger and their missiles are faster.

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
NPRs are better at designing ships and missiles now, that's your issue.  Their salvo sizes are larger and their missiles are faster.

Don't get me started on the 6 30k ton monsters that outspeed me that protect the NPR homeworld. Each one has 25 railguns and move as fast as my fighters.

Seems like they don't have the range to really travel around with them tho.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
I'm happy with the changes. Before, precursors were weaklings. Could be defeated with minimal effort.

Now they actually require effort! It's a lot more fitting with the narrative of a race that sort of dominated the galaxy. or at least, part of the galaxy.

The following users thanked this post: lordcirth

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
I just had a combat test against a superior number of ships equipped with missiles. My ships were equipped with lasers and GCs only, no missiles or fighters. Unfortunately, the enemy had a slight speed advantage so I was unable to catch any enemy combatants, having destroyed just two unarmed ships that were slower than me. Tested offensive FCS targeting at least...

I did not notice any difference in PD performance from VB6, really. We shot down about 1800 Size 6 missiles within ~48 hours of combat. My fleet was made of 4 CA and 8 DD, all packing some GC PDs. Not a single missile got through. At that point, enemy missile ships did not want to close range with me and escaped.

When my cruisers got in range of their main guns to an enemy 17K ton ship (commercial, as it turned out later), every 10 seconds (their ROF) one of the 200mm triple laser turrets suffered a failure, spending 350+ MSP instantly to repair it, each time.

That did not seem like 2% failure chance. Even if it's not turret based but based on the amount of guns, there were only 36x 200mm guns in my fleet that were firing. Over a course of 4.5 salvos, my cruisers suffered 4 turret failures, spending 1400+ MSP. That's super brutal. Especially if the AI is not affected by the same failures.

What is most strange is that I had not a single failure when the guns were firing in Final Defensive Fire PD mode.

Also, for now, you have to manually raise/lower the shields.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:29:56 AM by L0ckAndL0ad »

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
I just had a combat test against a superior number of ships equipped with missiles. My ships were equipped with lasers and GCs only, no missiles or fighters. Unfortunately, the enemy had a slight speed advantage so I was unable to catch any enemy combatants, having destroyed just two unarmed ships that were slower than me. Tested offensive FCS targeting at least...

I did not notice any difference in PD performance from VB6, really. We shot down about 1800 Size 6 missiles within ~48 hours of combat. My fleet was made of 4 CA and 8 DD, all packing some GC PDs. Not a single missile got through. At that point, enemy missile ships did not want to close range with me and escaped.

When my cruisers got in range of their main guns to an enemy 17K ton ship (commercial, as it turned out later), every 10 seconds (their ROF) one of the 200mm triple laser turrets suffered a failure, spending 350+ MSP instantly to repair it, each time.

That did not seem like 2% failure chance. Even if it's not turret based but based on the amount of guns, there were only 36x 200mm guns in my fleet that were firing. Over a course of 4.5 salvos, my cruisers suffered 4 turret failures, spending 1400+ MSP. That's super brutal. Especially if the AI is not affected with the same failures.

What is most strange is that I had not a single failure when the guns were firing in Final Defensive Fire PD mode.

How fast were the missiles going?

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
How fast were the missiles going?
Enemy missiles were moving at ~16 km/s (that's the NPR that I spawned to test the combat). Enemy ships were moving at ~3400. My fleet was limited to 3333, hence I did not catch them. My main guns had 8000 tracking, with Dual Purpose and PD ones being also 16 km/s tracking rated.

Like I said, no difference from VB6 in terms of PD fire. Just better NPR designs than previously.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T

That did not seem like 2% failure chance. Even if it's not turret based but based on the amount of guns, there were only 36x 200mm guns in my fleet that were firing. Over a course of 4.5 salvos, my cruisers suffered 4 turret failures, spending 1400+ MSP. That's super brutal. Especially if the AI is not affected by the same failures.

With 36 guns each with a 2% failure rate then those numbers seem plausible to me. What is brutal is that a single gun failing takes out the whole turret. I guess that might push the balance towards single gun turrets? Or unturreted options like rail guns.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant

The failure rate was changed to 1%, but this is still plausible. 36 guns x 4.5 salvoes = 162 shots. There's an 8.06% chance of 4+ failures on 162 shots at 1% odds.

Keep an eye on this, but this could very easily be random chance.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
I found some more targets to practice on.

Twin 120mm laser turrets on my DDs suffered no failures at all so far. Triple 200mm turrets on CAs got two more failures. Which is strange, because there's a lot more 120mm guns in my fleet, and they fired much more.

Dunno. Sample size isn't that big. Not sure what's going on here.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Seems like http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107701#msg107701 is for some reason multiplying by weapon size and/or maintenance cost.

It's worth putting together somethign with a few dozen turrets of many sizes of lasers (a space T-35 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-35) and running some tests.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
I just checked the log and found that not only 120mm, but even my dual GC PD turrets, that fired A LOT over the course of couple of days, did not suffer even a single failure shooting down those 1500+ missiles.

So yeah, something is definitely up.