Author Topic: Military Jump question  (Read 1373 times)

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
Military Jump question
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:59 AM »
What level of Jump drive effeciency is really required before it's viable to design and construct military jump drives for a tonnage of 20,000....at the minute in my game the Jump drive would be huge and the cost in RP research is astronomical.

So I've taken a risk and have built jumpgates on all my Sol WP's and another on the other side...so far no sign of aliens...but someone has been fighting somehwere in the universe...................

Oh and another question...I gather mass drivers dont work through a jump point....so do you all concentrate on all the resources in Sol before sending out auto mines in other systems? Or do you set up a Cargo system? I have worked out that 0.1 in accessabilty is useless....shame as Mars and Venus have millions of minerals in my game but all at 0.1....

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Military Jump question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
What level of Jump drive effeciency is really required before it's viable to design and construct military jump drives for a tonnage of 20,000....at the minute in my game the Jump drive would be huge and the cost in RP research is astronomical.

That's why you don't skip to large military hulls right away. In the beginning, research two or three levels of Jump Drive Efficiency and stick to sizes of 4,000-8,000 tons for military ships. Deep space scouts are always going to be small, and while you can let the tonnage of your warships grow, I personally am just about to reach the 12,000-ton mark on my game, 32 years in. Scouts can jump on their own, but I use jump tenders (commercial ships with military jump drives) to assist proper warships. Saves a lot of tonnage, compared to having a drive on every vessel.

Oh and another question...I gather mass drivers dont work through a jump point....so do you all concentrate on all the resources in Sol before sending out auto mines in other systems? Or do you set up a Cargo system? I have worked out that 0.1 in accessabilty is useless....shame as Mars and Venus have millions of minerals in my game but all at 0.1....

0.1 sources are not useless, but you could try letting geology teams analyze Mars and Venus on the surface if you haven't already done so (not the same as geosurvey from orbit). They can find more deposits and/or improve the accessibility of those already found.

As for mass drivers, no, they don't work through jump gates. Earth is going to be your main production centre for decades, so as far as mining is concerned, you could have freighters touring around mining colonies in other systems (on Cycle Orders) and returning to Earth after every round to unload what they pick up. You could even do that in Sol, given cargo ships will likely be faster than mineral packets, if a constant small drain to your fuel reserves.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:24:45 AM by Shadow »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »

I tend to get to 6 or 8 before contemplating such large jump drives. In my current campaign I have efficiency 6 and my largest military jump drive is for 15,000 tons. You can have much larger ships, such as the 48,000 ton carriers in the same game, but they will need jump gates to get around. I tend to think of my designs as being either for 'Battle Fleet', which operates within the jump gate network, or 'Frontier Fleet', which can operate anywhere.

Steve

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:47:30 AM »
Thats a good idea having two task forces one for JG network defence and patrols and one for attacks or defence of border worlds yet to be intergrated into the network.