Author Topic: Multi-NPR Systems  (Read 1170 times)

Offline QuakeIV (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Multi-NPR Systems
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:32:06 PM »
I wanted to create a separate thread from this since I think its something that wouldn't be added to the game in the immediate future.

It would be cool if there was a setting or something to generally cause multiple NPRs (of the same species) to spawn together in the same system.  I always felt like there was a certain missing aspect of political diversity with the NPRs that otherwise would exist in a lot of custom player startups.  It would be a cool feature in my opinion, to come across a star system with several different empires, maybe even spread across several planets in the system, which are all notionally at peace to begin with but have the potential to wind up in conflict with eachother that you could pick sides with, for instance.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Multi-NPR Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
If you tick the correct boxes, you might be able to create a new NPR using an existing species.  It wouldn't necessarily be allied (or even peaceful) with the original NPR, and there's no way I know of to utilize the 'enforced peace treaty' mechanic outside of game start.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
This is already a feature in the game, I believe. At least, it was in VB6 and I'm pretty sure I have seen people mentioning it happening in C#. There is a small (~2-5%, IIRC) chance for one or two additional NPRs of the same race to spawn alongside any NPR you discover. I also think they use the enforced peace treaty as mentioned above, though it still counts as having started at the game start.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 06:10:05 PM »
This is already a feature in the game, I believe. At least, it was in VB6 and I'm pretty sure I have seen people mentioning it happening in C#. There is a small (~2-5%, IIRC) chance for one or two additional NPRs of the same race to spawn alongside any NPR you discover. I also think they use the enforced peace treaty as mentioned above, though it still counts as having started at the game start.

I think this should be a configurable option when you start a game how likely it is that any aliens you meet spawn in a multi-faction environment. I could see that as something quite interesting.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:58:28 PM »
I have definitely come across this in VB6 but cant say if in C# or not due to not testing enough.

Last one actually killed me as one lot was friendly and the other Xenophobes so when I got a trade treaty with the friendly ones, the Xenophobes took umbrage at the Commercial shipping and declared war when my fleet was away clearing precursors and their fleet got to earth before I could.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »
I have had 2 NPRs of different races spawn on the same planet, but it would be intersting if they were the same race too
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline QuakeIV (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »

I think this should be a configurable option when you start a game how likely it is that any aliens you meet spawn in a multi-faction environment. I could see that as something quite interesting.

I agree this would be cool.  I'd personally crank it up way higher than that.

Offline Ehndras

• Voidwalker
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »
A % option would be great!
"Boop!" goes the thermonuclear missile salvo