Author Topic: Quill18 makes an Aurora 4x Lets Play.  (Read 6731 times)

Offline quill18

• Leading Rate
  • youtube.com/quill18
Re: Quill18 makes an Aurora 4x Lets Play.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
I had my Twitter URL instead of just my username.   Not sure why that completely b0rked the html, but fixed now.

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 08:49:14 AM »
Ooh, nice, I'll check that out. I've been a quill18 sub for a year or two, and I got into EU4 because of him. So thanks for that Quill. I think  ;D

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »
Because I'm interested in seeing this Let's Play last longer than just jumping through a few systems, I'll extend a bit of unasked for advice ...

*Before* you start exploring outside of Sol, make sure you build up a decent sized military fleet.  You no doubt saw the checkbox about enabling certain spoilers, and I won't say more about any of them than this ... one of the ones you left on is quite tough to deal with and can move into the Sol system.  If you discover them before you have a decent military ready, they will end your LP pretty quick.  Recommend having *at least* some defences built up on your planet (PDCs with missiles, orbital point defense bases) and a task force that you feel can comfortably picket at least one jump point *before* you jump through to any other systems.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this Let's Play! Ordinarily I wouldn't say anything, but I'd hate to see it cut tooooo short just because you got unlucky with discovering spoilers on your first jump or two.

Another possible solution is to just turn the spoilers off next time you load up the game.  This can be done from the game selection window.  Star Swarm is the one you left on that you should be worried about.  You can turn them back on again once you feel you've got a handle on military operations.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
Another possible solution is to just turn the spoilers off next time you load up the game.  This can be done from the game selection window.  Star Swarm is the one you left on that you should be worried about.  You can turn them back on again once you feel you've got a handle on military operations.

But it won't be as !!FUN!!. What can be better than epic failure or two?  :D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
On the one hand it might end early, but excitingly, but also on the other hand it would also spoil the viewers from experiencing the spoilers firsthand. Though not all details about the encounter need be mentioned in the video of course. I say leave them all on and see how it goes.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
Just watched the video . Really good, clear explanation of play so looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Two quick comments
1) Financial Centres act as 1m additional population for the purposes of wealth generation, so they are good for boosting the wealth of smaller pops.
2) The 30% chance for discovering NPRs is not per system, it is per planet that could support life (temp between -40 and +60, oxygen pressure from 0.07 atm to 0.4 atm, gravity between 0.4G and 2.5G). You may still bump into other things apart from NPRs :)

Offline quill18

• Leading Rate
  • youtube.com/quill18
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 11:58:36 PM »
Quote from: MagusXIX link=topic=8157.  msg84206#msg84206 date=1451660915
Another possible solution is to just turn the spoilers off next time you load up the game.    This can be done from the game selection window.    Star Swarm is the one you left on that you should be worried about.    You can turn them back on again once you feel you've got a handle on military operations. 

Pffffft.    Where's the fun in that?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:01:22 AM by quill18 »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
Always been a fan of the zapp brannigan big book of war, as my signature can attest.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline quill18

• Leading Rate
  • youtube.com/quill18
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 12:14:01 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8157. msg84209#msg84209 date=1451662985
1) Financial Centres act as 1m additional population for the purposes of wealth generation, so they are good for boosting the wealth of smaller pops.

Does local population wealth have an impact on growth/commerce?  I assumed it was just extra empire tax money.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 07:31:32 AM »
Wealth from population is:

(Pop in Millions + (Financial Centres * Pop Efficiency)) * Wealth Rate * Wealth Bonus from Governor * Sector Wealth Bonus * Radiation Penalty * Unrest Penalty

So each financial centre acts as one million population to generate wealth (about 20 wealth per year at basic tech)

Shipping Lines will begin building ships when you have a colony (in addition to your capital) with population > 0.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Shipping Lines will begin building ships when you have a colony (in addition to your capital) with population > 0.

Assume you mean build colony ships here?
Mine started building one Huge freighter each before I have any pop on another colony.

( Maybe not optimal since I'm not sure how much wealth they have left now to build colony ships once I start adding population to the colony ).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »
Assume you mean build colony ships here?
Mine started building one Huge freighter each before I have any pop on another colony.

( Maybe not optimal since I'm not sure how much wealth they have left now to build colony ships once I start adding population to the colony ).

I've checked. You need infrastructure or population to trigger the civs. I thought it was just population.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
Came here just to start this thread. Thrilled to see you playing this, Quill. Excited to see where it goes & for the boost to Aurora itself. Thanks!

HercTheMighty

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Few YouTubers picked this up recently:

1.  Quill who has been mentioned.
2.  EnterElysium: https://www. youtube. com/playlist?list=PLR5ZBfGW6e1lqlihsRNeIPTcWLXJD0aaV
3.  Arumba: https://www. youtube. com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWAyfZvAiHMSEbCGbVckqmXG

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Few YouTubers picked this up recently:

1.  Quill who has been mentioned.
2.  EnterElysium: https://www. youtube. com/playlist?list=PLR5ZBfGW6e1lqlihsRNeIPTcWLXJD0aaV
3.  Arumba: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWAyfZvAiHMSEbCGbVckqmXG

This was hilarious, I've been following Steve since R3rd ed, and was looking at Arumba's playlists for CKII and saw Aurora!

Small world!

Later,
Matt
Later,
Matt