Author Topic: Patrols  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Hydrofoil (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Patrols
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:16:07 AM »
Im not sure if this is already in the game (admittedly ive not been playing all that long and i probably havnt found it) but just incase that its not actually in the game a Patrol command would be nice so I can set my ships off to go patrol a system and so on.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Patrols
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:29 AM »
It's pretty easy to manually set up a few waypoints and use the cycle orders command to set up an exact patrol path.

But I think most just have ships stationary with sensors covering what you want to monitor now to conserve fuel.

It would be pretty frustrating if patrol was just random so they end up with low fuel on the wrong side of the system when you actually need them anyways, wouldn't it?

Offline Hydrofoil (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »
It's pretty easy to manually set up a few waypoints and use the cycle orders command to set up an exact patrol path.

But I think most just have ships stationary with sensors covering what you want to monitor now to conserve fuel.

It would be pretty frustrating if patrol was just random so they end up with low fuel on the wrong side of the system when you actually need them anyways, wouldn't it?

Very true but that could be countered with the Conditionals i always set mine to 40% before refuelling to ensure none of my ships ever get stuck.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
There is actually a function that sends a task force around the system at pretty much random - its called Task force training.  While this is on the task forces gets sent to random locations at a random speed, and when it reaches it a new location is generated.  The problem with this is that it wont refuel automatically (conditionals dont work on Task Force Training)

If on the other hand you want the TF to follow a prescribed path, use cyclical orders eg Go to Mars, Go to Jupiter, go to Venus, Go to Earth, Refuel & Resupply and then select the Repeat Orders checkbox, and the TF will follow this path continually.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Conditionals do work with Task Force Training.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
Ah must be a change (they didn't used to). I'm still running an older version as I'm quite enjoying my current campaign.  Thanks for the info.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
Thankfully they do, otherwise I would have lost so many ships in deep space due to running out of fuel whilst having high maintenance life, and no dedicated tankers available.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:15 AM »
Ah must be a change (they didn't used to). I'm still running an older version as I'm quite enjoying my current campaign.  Thanks for the info.

Still work perfectly..:D

Commander, return to Duty!

:D