Author Topic: Racial Customisation  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
Racial Customisation
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:50:06 AM »
Steve

Made any progress with this?  It'd be very cool to be able to adjust racial abilities.  Last time we discussed it we were moving towards the MoO style you get x points to spend and can make some things worse in order to make others better.  There're loads of things in Aurora that could be used for this.

Cheers
Stephen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shinanygnz »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Racial Customisation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Steve

Made any progress with this?  It'd be very cool to be able to adjust racial abilities.  Last time we discussed it we were moving towards the MoO style you get x points to spend and can make some things worse in order to make others better.  There're loads of things in Aurora that could be used for this.

I have not done anything with it yet but it is something I want to do. Can you remember in which thread we discussed this?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
Nope.  Had a bit of a look around and can't find it.  Might have disappeared in a move or similar.  However, in the Suggestions section there are 4 pages listed, but I can only see page 1, the others say there's nothing in the forum.  Erik, any ideas?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
Nope.  Had a bit of a look around and can't find it.  Might have disappeared in a move or similar.  However, in the Suggestions section there are 4 pages listed, but I can only see page 1, the others say there's nothing in the forum.  Erik, any ideas?

How long ago was it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »
Not sure.  At least three months I think.  I was more concerned about this.  See the 4 pages on Suggestions, I get the second screen if I hit Page 2, 3, 4 or Next

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
Yeah :(

That goes back to when a lot of the posts got eaten.

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Yeah :)

There's loads of things to mod, but we need to put some point costs around them, e.g. a ground combat strength bonus is worth less (IMO) than research bonus.

Stephen

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »
I'd think any area an officer can have a skill would be a logical place for a racial attribute.

Some other possibilities...
Increased/Decreased Engine performance (increase/reduce engine output)
Increased/Decreased Survey performance (increase/decrease survey pt generation)

Hmmm possibly others, but my brain is fuzzy

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
Things that could be modified by racial ability:
Research/Wealth/Trade point generation
Mining rate
Mining accessibility
Survey points
Cybernetic/Diplomacy/etc skill
Tracking speed
Engine speed, efficiency and signature
Weapon ranges
Power generation
Ground combat strength
Training
Unrest level
Population protection requirement
Cargo loading speed
Cargo capacity
Fuel capacity
Terraforming rate
Political rates (i.e. quicker/slower to Imperial status)
Maintenance failure rate
Maintenance clock speed
Ship order response time
Population "breeding" rate

As I was typing this, something just occurred to me though.  There're so many things that can be tweaked, it might be over complicated (both to setup, balance and program), so how about something like the Civ 4 leader traits, so a Militaristic race might get better crew training rates, officer generation, tracking speed, etc., Expansionistic gets quicker pop expansion, faster ships, etc.
You then  have a matching negative package, e.g. Pacifistic

Race setup is then baseline, with an option to take one advantage and then one disadvantage package.  Or maybe baseline, with one free advantage package and the option for more advantages but you also have to take a disadvantage for each extra one.

Stephen

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »
As I was typing this, something just occurred to me though.  There're so many things that can be tweaked, it might be over complicated (both to setup, balance and program), so how about something like the Civ 4 leader traits, so a Militaristic race might get better crew training rates, officer generation, tracking speed, etc., Expansionistic gets quicker pop expansion, faster ships, etc.

Race setup is then baseline, with an option to take one advantage and then one disadvantage package.  Or maybe baseline, with one free advantage package and the option for more advantages but you also have to take a disadvantage for each extra one.

Stephen

Wouldn't that somewhat duplicate the governors?

Hmm... How about an "Imperial Family"? The Imperial Family has a base type of modifier (military, industrial, research, social). They would be an abstract type of person. Not listed in officers or the like. Each scion of the Imperial Family would have slightly different bonuses (+5 vs +10, etc). As the game progresses, the current head of the family dies off, and is replaced, changing the bonuses (but always within the base area).

Could give rise to an "automated" civil war, i.e. a scion takes control of a planet and secedes from the empire. Though that might be too much work.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »

I am playing Civ4 at the moment, which is why I haven't posted for a few days :) I think some equivalent to the Civ4 leader traits would work well. I probably won't add this to v3.1 but I will tackle if for v3.2.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
Hmm... How about an "Imperial Family"? The Imperial Family has a base type of modifier (military, industrial, research, social). They would be an abstract type of person. Not listed in officers or the like. Each scion of the Imperial Family would have slightly different bonuses (+5 vs +10, etc). As the game progresses, the current head of the family dies off, and is replaced, changing the bonuses (but always within the base area).

Could give rise to an "automated" civil war, i.e. a scion takes control of a planet and secedes from the empire. Though that might be too much work.

This is something I have thought about myself in the past. I played a game called Crusader Kings where you had an imperial family which grew over time. I spent half the game deciding how to deal with my evil brother Morcar :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 06:10:19 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I think this would be a very good addition to the game. Perhaps an actual family tree could develop. Imperial family members would be officers once they are old enough and would have a higher chance of good bonuses but also the chance of some negative traits and could cause problems if you didn't place them in positions they deemed worthy :)

And don't forget the huge political bonus....

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

This is something I have thought about myself in the past. I played a game called Crusader Kings where you had an imperial family which grew over time. I spent half the game deciding how to deal with my evil brother Morcar :)

Steve

And give rise to a political crisis if you manage to kak off the entire line. Though I'd suppose cadet branches might form.

Kind of also brings up the possibility of "naval families". Families where the tradition is joining the navy. Give them some sort of political clout.