Author Topic: Official v7.00 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 44254 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Official v7.00 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
This is probably not a very well-researched bug report, as it has grown gradually over the course of my game.  I started with a PDC on Luna and for the whole game the label has said "PDC Fleet: Luna (SP Needed: 173. something)".  I assumed that the orbital survey had been done, and my geological team came and went with no complaints (neither found anything).  Eventually the label started bothering me so I sent a survey ship back to luna to see if that would fix it.  It didn't, so I had it join the PDC Fleet to see if that would fix it.  It didn't change anything, so I detached the survey ship and sent it out to survey elsewhere.  The problem now is that it dropped the PDC fleet off of the moon, and it's now floating alone in space with no way home.  I didn't even notice until their 3 months ran out and their morale started dropping.  I'm sure SM mode can teleport the fleet back to Luna, but if possible I'd like to figure out what went wrong.

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
MSSTDFMT.DLL isn't installed by default on newer versions of windows(anything past vista iirc), so you need to install it.

Actually, it's not just anything past Vista. I installed Aurora on a laptop with XP Home, with Service Pack 3 installed. And I still got "Error 713" as MSSTDFMT.DLL was missing. So, I suspect almost everyone will need to install this file, regardless of their OS. As such, IMO, this tidbit really should be mentioned on the wiki or something.

Installing simple shutdown timer(and you should be able to uninstall it straight after without issue) has, at least in previous versions of windows worked to get the dll installed.

I'm sure that works. But instead of installing the simple shutdown timer, I followed the directions in this article: Why do I receive an error message about the file MSSTDFMT.DLL? To get the file, I went to Microsoft and downloaded their Oversized PST and OST crop tool, which I did not install. Instead, I opened the .exe file as an archive with 7zip and extracted the DLL. And after putting it in System32, I used the Run command to register the DLL:
Code: [Select]
regsvr32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSSTDFMT.DLL"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:48:44 AM by Thundercraft »
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »
I had no idea it was that easy to register the DLL, I swear trying "run" has failed me on vista, win 7 and 8. It's been a while since I used XP so I don't remember if i had problems then too.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2015, 01:49:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure the passive sensor range indicators are sometimes drawn incorrectly.  I put some tracking stations on a moon near some dangerous jump points, and found that they were improbably large (a single tracking station covered almost the jump points in the system).  A quick search turned up a past report, and I have indeed put my listening post on a moon.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2015, 03:42:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure the passive sensor range indicators are sometimes drawn incorrectly.  I put some tracking stations on a moon near some dangerous jump points, and found that they were improbably large (a single tracking station covered almost the jump points in the system).  A quick search turned up a past report, and I have indeed put my listening post on a moon.

Have you checked to see what strength signal your passive ranges are set for?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »
As I recall moons showed a massive multiplier over other bodies, I had equal numbers of deep space tracking stations on 2 asteroids and one moon of a gas giant. Each were at the same distance from the sun and fairly equal distant to each other.
I figured great I have a sensor network, but the display ring for the moon wasn't showing up, at least not untill I zoomed out and saw it was massive.
I think it was just the display but not the actual sensor range.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2015, 06:46:03 AM »
Since Steve is in bug fix mode.....

This is a bug from way back 5.XX - 6.43 There are two Gliese 505 system entries in the real stars list. I suspect it is just a double entry as I get the second Gliese 505 one or two systems after I discover the first. Currently I just rename the second system but it would be good to clean up the data base.

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
As I recall moons showed a massive multiplier over other bodies, I had equal numbers of deep space tracking stations on 2 asteroids and one moon of a gas giant. Each were at the same distance from the sun and fairly equal distant to each other.
I figured great I have a sensor network, but the display ring for the moon wasn't showing up, at least not untill I zoomed out and saw it was massive.
I think it was just the display but not the actual sensor range.

Yes, it was your post I found, in fact. Looks like the link was stripped from my post; it's http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=7820.msg79543#msg79543

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:36 AM »
In my current game I lost a small fleet to the enemy. The Task Force commander was aboard for the expedition into the enemy system, and he and his staff were all either killed or captured. They all showed up in the Leaders window as being in an "Unknown Location", which is great. However, I soon enough had an upgraded fleet built which needed a Task Force commander, and I found that these staff officers were all still occupying their old jobs (I'd prefer if it automatically unassigned them, but I don't mind if it's intended to be manual). I unassigned them all and replaced them with other officers, and this is where the bug occurred. As soon as I did this, the new staff officers were all shown as being in an "Unknown Location" and the original captured staff officers were all back on Earth! It looks like swapping their assignments also swapped their locations.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »
Since Steve is in bug fix mode.....

This is a bug from way back 5.XX - 6.43 There are two Gliese 505 system entries in the real stars list. I suspect it is just a double entry as I get the second Gliese 505 one or two systems after I discover the first. Currently I just rename the second system but it would be good to clean up the data base.

Regards
Ian

I already fixed that when they popped up in my campaign :)

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »
When I don't have enough prefabricated PDC components, but try to assemble it anyway, this happens.
Amount of components goes into negative, and I can continue assembling more PDCs, decreasing number of components even further.

Offline M_Gargantua

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • M
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
Using V7. 0, Windows 7, and I think the most up to date aurora_wrapper.

Couple of bugs (5)

--
1: Game Details screen

The startup Game Select / Game Details screen doesn't show up as a taskbar icon, no matter how I start it.  No way to alttab to it either.  I was also having issues with it opening on my second screen even when that display wasn't plugged in, but that might be more of my GPU being an issue.

--
2: Shipping in use GFTCs

The Chain of events:

Attempted to move 2 GFTF from the earth to the moon.

Advanced time by 5 days

And. . .

The Error:

Error in PopulateGUTraining

Error 30009 was generated by MSFlexGrid
Invalid Row Value

Which Loops until the process is killed.

The investigation and fix:

Restarting the game I was able to go into every screen except the earth economic screen.

So I changed to SM mode, used the system map to open up a different economic screen, went in and checked out the earth and moon.

Turns out my friegters had moved all my GFTF to the moon.

SMing Earth's GFTFs back cleared the issue.

--

3: I get a lot of

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found

around the same time every year.

I think this was caused by the wrapper trying to output an annual log that I fixed by creating a C:\Logs folder for it.
An interesting side effect was the game would advance everything before the crash, but never update the game clock.

--

4: I randomly got:

Error in UpdateRaceClassDesigns
Error 3265 was generated by DAO. Fields
Item not found in this collection

Error repeated 6 times.  Then the game just kept working.

--

5:

My Level 1 DSTS on Callisto and Charon are mirroring the range of my Level 50 on earth.  And my level 10s on a few JP adjacent asteroids look to be 10x that.  They're radii is covers almost the whole system at the lowest sensor range I can lower the slider too (Which incidently, is there anyway to make the signature strength box'es input instead of just output from the slider?). 

I think I noticed upthread that this is an issue for all non planets?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
I forgot to post this a week ago, though I'm not sure if it's not just a limitation of Visual Basic.
Aurora forgets everything but the last 4 characters (7 including file extension) of any image chosen for a planet. After selecting earth.jpg and either reloading or refreshing the system information window I get an error "unable to locate /rth.jpg" aurora then closes.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
1: Game Details screen

The startup Game Select / Game Details screen doesn't show up as a taskbar icon, no matter how I start it.  No way to alttab to it either.  I was also having issues with it opening on my second screen even when that display wasn't plugged in, but that might be more of my GPU being an issue.

It's a modal window so it won't show up.

2: Shipping in use GFTCs

The Chain of events:

Attempted to move 2 GFTF from the earth to the moon.

Advanced time by 5 days

And. . .

The Error:

Error in PopulateGUTraining

Error 30009 was generated by MSFlexGrid
Invalid Row Value

Which Loops until the process is killed.

The investigation and fix:

Restarting the game I was able to go into every screen except the earth economic screen.

So I changed to SM mode, used the system map to open up a different economic screen, went in and checked out the earth and moon.

Turns out my friegters had moved all my GFTF to the moon.

SMing Earth's GFTFs back cleared the issue.

It sounds like you shipped a GFTF while it was still building something. I'll add a check for that in future.

3: I get a lot of

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 76 was generated by Aurora
Path not found

You found the correct solution of creating of log directory.

Offline M_Gargantua

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • M
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
Units can be combat dropped from a parasite ship in a hanger bay.

Don't know if thats a bug or a limitation.