Author Topic: Change to Active Sensors  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Change to Active Sensors
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:53:02 AM »
In v2.5 an active sensor can only detect objects that are equal to, or larger than, its resolution. This was to reflect the real life situation where different types of radar are needed for different purposes. I was happier with this model than the previous one but it wasn't entirely satisfactory because it didn't seem realistic that an object only slightly smaller couldn't be detected at all. Therefore I added secondary sensor modes, which allowed a sensor to effectively act as a second, lower resolution sensor with the right technology. I haven't been very happy with this because it feels too kludgy (I know that's not a real word :)), it adds too many lines to the class and ship design summaries and it still doesn't resolve the realism issue.

Therefore I have removed secondary sensor modes from v2.6. Instead, active sensors now have a limited ability to detect objects smaller than their resolution, with objects close to the resolution being easier to detect than much smaller objects. If an object is smaller than the resolution then the range at which the sensor can detect it is equal to the fraction of the resolution squared.

In other words, if a resolution 100 sensor tries to detect a size 80 object then the range at which it can detect that is equal to 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.64, or 64% of normal range. If the same resolution 100 sensor tried to detect a size 40 object, it would do so at: 0.4 x 0.4 = 0.16, or 16% of normal range. If it was trying to detect a size 20 object (a 1000 ton FAC perhaps), the range would be 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04 or 4% of normal, which is about one fifth of the range at which the sensor would detect the FAC if it was resolution 20 instead of 100.

The change also applies to missile fire controls and active seeker heads on missiles, which have a targeting resolution in v2.6. This means that a particular missile fire control or missile head will have a max tracking range against targets equal to, or greater than, its resolution but that range will be reduced, considerably in some cases, against smaller targets.

I think this creates a more realistic situation for sensors and missile fire control systems while still making the player carefully consider their resolutions.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
kludgy is not a word ONLY if we don't know what you mean.  In this environment, I think everyone here understood you completely.  If not, they will speak up.

robert
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rmcrowe »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
Thanks Steve - I like this range vs. size model a lot more.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »