Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345144 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #735 on: December 06, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
really great :) was 100% what I was asking for :)

but quick question about this Steve...

will such a logistic formation be flagged as such for the whole battle running? I mean if I have a formation with 75% logistic size - after a few battle turns the logistic units are "used up", some destroyed by combat and there is only a ratio of 55% left (so under 2/3) but the fighting is going on...

will it still be a "logistic formation" for this rule or just a weak combat formation as it was with a lot of logistic units into?  (which would mean it would be better to go 90% or even 95% in the beginning to be sure)

Yes, that is a problem that would have to be addressed. In practical terms though, you would probably create a very logistic heavy formation and then merge with an HQ once it was very small. I need some form of check on logistic size though or the code would start using logistic units from 'normal' formations on the assumption they were logistic formations. Another option is I simply allow the player to flag logistics formations in the same way as supporting formations.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #736 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
really great :) was 100% what I was asking for :)

but quick question about this Steve...

will such a logistic formation be flagged as such for the whole battle running? I mean if I have a formation with 75% logistic size - after a few battle turns the logistic units are "used up", some destroyed by combat and there is only a ratio of 55% left (so under 2/3) but the fighting is going on...

will it still be a "logistic formation" for this rule or just a weak combat formation as it was with a lot of logistic units into?  (which would mean it would be better to go 90% or even 95% in the beginning to be sure)

Yes, that is a problem that would have to be addressed. In practical terms though, you would probably create a very logistic heavy formation and then merge with an HQ once it was very small. I need some form of check on logistic size though or the code would start using logistic units from 'normal' formations on the assumption they were logistic formations. Another option is I simply allow the player to flag logistics formations in the same way as supporting formations.
You may also have the reverse situation in some cases, in which a combat formation loses more combat elements than logistics elements and suddenly becomes a logistics formation.

I propose just sidestepping the whole issue and adding a flag that designates a formation as a logistics formation, like how tankers and colliers are designated.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #737 on: December 06, 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
Or make it a special modifier similar to the various training changes. It just only works for formations made up of HQs and Logistics units and nothing else. Could even make for relatively cheap units; large scale logistics dumps have historically been run by second line units IIRC.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #738 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »
Manual toggle is probably the best option. Sure, there will be times when players forget to toggle it, but it avoids the headache of coding for a multitude of different and rare situations that might crop up.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #739 on: December 07, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
Or make it a special modifier similar to the various training changes. It just only works for formations made up of HQs and Logistics units and nothing else. Could even make for relatively cheap units; large scale logistics dumps have historically been run by second line units IIRC.

Please don't.  As far as I'm concerned, the whole point to the revised ground unit system is the flexibility it offers.  I don't want "formations made up of HQs and Logistics units and nothing else."  I want the freedom to build whatever units I want -- maybe Ranch Hands (infantry) and Cowboys (cavalry) and Chuck Wagons (logistics vehicles).

Maybe I think every unit should include Jawa Bearers (LOG INF) or that my Tusken Raider Supply Companies need four Armoured Banthas (LAV LV) to guard the ten, twelve, or seventeen Transport Banthas (LOG LV).  (Tusken Raider Supply Companies always travel single file, to hide their numbers.)

My point is, don't backslide to "Supply Companies" and "Logistics Brigades" or any other sort of fixed unit types and/or sizes.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #740 on: December 08, 2018, 01:59:32 PM »
Steve... one thing I always wanted to have in Aurora which should not be too difficult would be a tech cost multiplier for each game.

Sometimes I like to start with large populations and if you do then tech cost will not really matter for a very long time because you speed through the technology tree way too fast. It also might make scientists administrative skill matter a fair bit more in general which to some might be interesting.

So being able to just set a tech multiple cost when you start the game would go a long way to customize how quickly you want to be able to progress through the technology tree.

It should only effect the amount of point you need to research something, the actual costs of things should otherwise stay the same.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #741 on: December 08, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
Already in:

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
New Game Settings

This is a placeholder for Game-level modifiers

1) Percentage modifier for Research Speed (for all races)
2) Percentage modifier for Terraforming Speed (for all races)
3) Percentage modifier for starting minerals on Sol.
4) Flag for Active Civilian Shipping Lines. When this is disabled, shipping lines will not produce ships.
5) Flag for recovering tech due to conquest. You can disable this so no new tech is gained via conquest.
6) LY entry to limit Starting NPR Locations to within a specific range of Sol: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg108824#msg108824
7) Option for Planet X in the Sol System: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109206#msg109206

You can specify a number of Earth-based player races on the Game Setup window. You will cycle through a number of Race Creation windows equal to the number of races selected. You will still need to create any non-Earth-based races after the main game creation process.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #742 on: December 09, 2018, 06:02:51 AM »
Awesome... I missed that part!!!

Thanks!

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #743 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
just looking at your test-game screenshots Steve - great :)

but with the last one (ground unit) - would it be possible to add a colom to show for how many batleturns/hours/days (something like this) the selected formation (including its sub-formations when it is a division etc) has supply for?

In your screenshot, there are 4 resupply infanterie units (LG2) - but it would be great to see for how long the "1.PDR" could be fight with this...

this would help the player for his own units a lot if this screen would show how long the supply (units) would last

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #744 on: December 10, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
just looking at your test-game screenshots Steve - great :)

but with the last one (ground unit) - would it be possible to add a colom to show for how many batleturns/hours/days (something like this) the selected formation (including its sub-formations when it is a division etc) has supply for?

In your screenshot, there are 4 resupply infanterie units (LG2) - but it would be great to see for how long the "1.PDR" could be fight with this...

this would help the player for his own units a lot if this screen would show how long the supply (units) would last

The supply column is how long you can fight. 100% indicates 10 rounds of combat. The GSP number is the amount used for a full resupply. Not all units use supply. and those that don't will have a dash instead of a percentage. Each logistics unit provides 500 GSP, so the LG2 means 2000 points. So in this case, the elements in the formation that require supply will last about 50 rounds (integral supply plus four reloads), assuming average rolls on supply, no use of AA vs aircraft, no losses in the formation, no losses to the logistics units and no use of logistics from higher up the supply chain.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:39:41 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #745 on: December 11, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Having seen the lates AI reports, an idea came into my mind.
One limitation to tell large scale stories is the amount of detail work you have to do with multiple nations. So how about different levels of control?

One: Full AI Empire - the AI controls all levels of this empire
Two: High Level Human - The human player can issue general decisions (negotiate peace, go to war, explore jump point XY, settle in system / on planet ABC); but everything below that is controlled by the AI
Three: Medium Level Human - The human player can issue additional commands like construct new ships or facilities, move fleets to XYZ, etc.
Four: Human Empire - The human player controls everything

What also would be interesting: to be able to switch between modes. For example control an empire on L2 until it goes to war, then switch to L4 and control all aspects of the war, when it is done switch back to L2... .

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #746 on: December 11, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Having seen the lates AI reports, an idea came into my mind.
One limitation to tell large scale stories is the amount of detail work you have to do with multiple nations. So how about different levels of control?

One: Full AI Empire - the AI controls all levels of this empire
Two: High Level Human - The human player can issue general decisions (negotiate peace, go to war, explore jump point XY, settle in system / on planet ABC); but everything below that is controlled by the AI
Three: Medium Level Human - The human player can issue additional commands like construct new ships or facilities, move fleets to XYZ, etc.
Four: Human Empire - The human player controls everything

What also would be interesting: to be able to switch between modes. For example control an empire on L2 until it goes to war, then switch to L4 and control all aspects of the war, when it is done switch back to L2... .

This only works if the human is prepared to follow the same constraints as the AI in setting up his colonies and forces (creating the correct types of ground forces, forming the right operational groups, designing and building the required ship classes with the required capabilities). The C# AI will be a lot better at handling unexpected situations or even using captured ships than in VB6, but it would not be difficult for human intervention to confuse the AI, even if only temporarily.

Some more basic form of human assistant might be possible on a limited scale (in fact, you already have that to a degree with standing orders). However, I would not want to restrict the AI code in order to have an on/off option for human intervention.

What I hope with C# Aurora, is that I can play a reasonable multiple start with one player and multiple AIs, that will not inevitably turn into a free-for-all Armageddon :)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #747 on: December 11, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
What I hope with C# Aurora, is that I can play a reasonable multiple start with one player and multiple AIs, that will not inevitably turn into a free-for-all Armageddon :)

Then don't include a Chinese faction...
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #748 on: December 11, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »

Then don't include a Chinese faction...

or america

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #749 on: December 13, 2018, 06:11:19 AM »
This only works if the human is prepared to follow the same constraints as the AI in setting up his colonies and forces (creating the correct types of ground forces, forming the right operational groups, designing and building the required ship classes with the required capabilities).
My main idea is to have some minor nations in a multi-nation start being AI, but also being given general alliance orders but not having to micromanage every one of them. So, yes, if that would be possible with the restrictions you mentioned, why not... . Let's see how your AI performs and reserve this idea maybe for a later release.