Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
House Aurelius probably isn't using actual crossbows either, just naming their weapons like that.
I guess the difference is that one is a name, the other is a model number, which is likely assigned before one even knows which vehicles go into mass production.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
True, but many of those German WW2 vehicles did not have nicknames, and using made-up Sdkfz numbers makes using them a moot point in the first place, at least for those of us who know most of them by heart.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
House Aurelius probably isn't using actual crossbows either, just naming their weapons like that.

Lies and vicious slander!

In the rebuilding, House Aurelius absorbed San Marino, and their crossbow corps clearly formed the basis for the nuRoman army.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:35:33 AM »
It'd still be better to just give them a random number, instead of one that historically existed to avoid confusion.
It's a specific production model after all.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
Given that in context, both in universe and with us reading the AAR, there is no possibility of anyone getting confused and thinking that his TN ground units are using WW2 tech, I suspect there is not actually a problem at all.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
I quite like it.  I've played enough Panzer General to have a solid mental image of a SdKfz 251 and can easily envision it as a TNE unit.  Most of my Aurora campaigns feature 'historically inspired' designs anyway.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
Ever since the picture was posted I've just been imagining it as a half-hovercraft. Two wheels on the front and the rear floats thanks to trans-newtonian magic. It looks ridiculous.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
Ever since the picture was posted I've just been imagining it as a half-hovercraft. Two wheels on the front and the rear floats thanks to trans-newtonian magic. It looks ridiculous.
That reminds me of the hovertanks in the 2300 AD. Which always struck me as slightly ridiculous, because wouldn't the hover portion of the tank be extremely vulnerable, far more so than tracks?

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Given that in context, both in universe and with us reading the AAR, there is no possibility of anyone getting confused and thinking that his TN ground units are using WW2 tech, I suspect there is not actually a problem at all.
If you see a unit named "Bf-109" do you first imagine it being a jetfighter or the german prop fighter from the WW2? Just saying.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
Looking at the newly posted shots of one of the house's mineral situation they've got a massive Vendarite and Gallicite crunches incoming.

Which could be worse, Gallicite is IIRC a missile only mineral, but Vendarite also has infrastructure uses.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
If you see a unit named "Bf-109" do you first imagine it being a jetfighter or the german prop fighter from the WW2? Just saying.

When you see M-1, do you get annoyed that it could be the M-1 Garand, the more modern M-1A rifle, or a battletank? Probably not because you have the ability to identify things in context.

I find it unlikely that in five hundred years or so when this AAR is set there is anyone who seriously thinks that the tanks used in the TN ground forces are WWII relics.

Similarly, if someone was talking about modern air superiority and mentioned a BF-109, I might get confused for a second, maybe even ask for clarification that a jet fighter with that designation actually exists, but I won't be going into it with the assumption that it was a prop engine fighter, because that would be silly and I too have the ability to identify things in context.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »

My Aurora starships have three masts and dozens of 'sails' to catch stellar radiation to power their reactors.  And TNE propellers are just the thing to haul small craft through the Luminiferous Aether between worlds.

Did I mention some of my 'hovertanks' use anti-gravity tech while others are true Ground-Effect Vehicles?  That my Garrison Units are riot police and my Assault Infantry are model ED-209 Urban Combat Robots?

The true strength of Aurora is that it doesn't over-define and techno-babble explain many of its systems.  My units may be mechanically identical to yours, but I'm free to fictionalize them almost any way I like.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Jovus

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 03:09:17 PM »
Looking at the newly posted shots of one of the house's mineral situation they've got a massive Vendarite and Gallicite crunches incoming.

Which could be worse, Gallicite is IIRC a missile only mineral, but Vendarite also has infrastructure uses.

IIRC Gallicite is engines, including missile engines. A gallicite crunch is probably third behind duranium and corundium in terms of how crippling it is, IMHO.

Vendarite is construction factories and maybe a few miscellaneous things IIRC? Not nearly as big a deal.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:10:48 PM by Bremen »

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »
IIRC Gallicite is engines, including missile engines. A gallicite crunch is probably third behind duranium and corundium in terms of how crippling it is, IMHO.

Vendarite is construction factories and maybe a few miscellaneous things IIRC? Not nearly as big a deal.

And you're right. Gallicite is the engine material. While the 25 kton depicted has high availability, 25 kton is kinda... limited, when it comes to the needs of multiple empires. At least it really is only used for engines, which limits consumption.

Vendarite's main purpose is fighters, but it's also used in construction factories.

And looking at the pictures again in greater detail you can see the development of a Corundium shortage. Less than 100 ktons in total. Easily accessible, thankfully, but the campaign desperately needs new sources. Preferably ones that are less... contested.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
I get the feeling that Steve didn't increase the HW resources to deal with the fact that there are five empires rather than one, and we're going to see the consequences of that.