Author Topic: Ship Boarding Squad Design  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Ship Boarding Squad Design
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2020, 11:43:44 AM »
Yes but then I tested out boarding parties with just 20 marines in them and they were fine after the tenth round.
Would have been helpful to mention that...

Any chance you had commanders with Ground Combat Logistics attached?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »
Yes but then I tested out boarding parties with just 20 marines in them and they were fine after the tenth round.

It shouldn't matter as they did not have HQs.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »

It shouldn't matter as they did not have HQs.
That should also make it impossible for them to have any commander assigned, so yeah.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
Again keep in mind: Only Infantry can do boarding. Also the GSP does not seem to be used in boarding combat so it's only needed if these units might fight on the ground with no support.
Didn't you just report that supply did seem to matter in boarding combat?

Also, all those 'Light ... Mech' units are infantry. Don't be mislead by the name. I assume it's something to do with liveware's race RP concept.

All my boarding units are infantry with best available power armor. My RP fiction is 1x biological soldier per 'mech' unit. Not to be confused with IRL mechanized infantry, which is a rather different concept. Channeling Mech Warrior / Starship Troopers / SupCom / Halo concepts in my RP universe.

Sorry for confusion.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »

I still haven't actually built any of my boarding units... I'm still theory crafting while I'm building up my naval forces. Probably will build boarding infantry last.

With that said, I may experiment with the GSP situation myself, with two separate squadron designs both including and excluding front line GSP.

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
I have a question regarding the boarding operation. Where do the marines go after you successfully capture the ship? Can you unload them?

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2020, 02:56:36 PM »
I have a question regarding the boarding operation. Where do the marines go after you successfully capture the ship? Can you unload them?

I'm not sure. This is something I wanted to test. From what I've read elsewhere I think they become the ship's new crew.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »

They are on the ship you captured and then you can take them off with another ship with a troop bay with an order load troops from stationary ship.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
So do you just get automagic new crew after you capture a ship? Or do you have to send it back to a colony for R&R first?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
So do you just get automagic new crew after you capture a ship? Or do you have to send it back to a colony for R&R first?

Well the crew surrenders, you don't need to kill them all. Then the ship has 1 percent of its normal functions that goes up over time over a month. I don't think the crew tracking in Aurora works in general for under-crewed ships as you can always do the load replacement crew but I don't notice anything bad for having less or where it's counted.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »

Well the crew surrenders, you don't need to kill them all. Then the ship has 1 percent of its normal functions that goes up over time over a month. I don't think the crew tracking in Aurora works in general for under-crewed ships as you can always do the load replacement crew but I don't notice anything bad for having less or where it's counted.

Good to know, I don't need to be as murderous in my boarding operations as I thought.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 06:07:06 PM »
does anyone know the specifics of ship surrender?  if "casualties sustained in the current round" is a factor, as it is in morale rolls in many games, that could make a big difference in the "CAP vs PW" decision..  it could also influence the worth of packing a picnic basket when you board.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
If the specifics of the below captured U-505 are realistic, then capturing a WWII era submarine need not be a bloody affair.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505

In this case, I would argue that ship capture should be based primarily on crew morale rather than (infantry) combat capability. However an outnumbered and outgunned crew should arguably surrender (or scuttle).

Edit: Not to derail this topic too much as Aurora is not exactly a WWII simulacrum.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:19:46 PM by liveware »

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=halo+reach+trailer&&view=detail&mid=45267D788D01938C230945267D788D01938C2309&&FORM=VRDGAR

Also...

If anyone doubts the utility of boarding troops, consider the above. Sometimes it only takes one spartan to make a difference in the war.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2020, 12:11:22 AM »
If the specifics of the below captured U-505 are realistic, then capturing a WWII era submarine need not be a bloody affair.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505

In this case, I would argue that ship capture should be based primarily on crew morale rather than (infantry) combat capability. However an outnumbered and outgunned crew should arguably surrender (or scuttle).

Edit: Not to derail this topic too much as Aurora is not exactly a WWII simulacrum.
By the 20th century, boarding any warship was something that almost never would happen until after the ship had surrendered. Or been abandoned, in that somewhat unusual case.

Realistically it's hard to imagine that getting any less true in space, but Aurora is hardly bound by 'realistically'.