Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 69826 times)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 25, 2011, 03:37:43 AM »
this is a common problem and a quick search on the forum would probably answer it.

It has to do with the alien races-- they play by the same rules as you.  So when they fight, they need those short increments just like you do.  This is what the autoturn feature is for.

Offline PayneRamsey

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #451 on: October 25, 2011, 03:58:02 AM »
its. . . not that. . . i highly doubt the 50.  5 second increments.  in a row are because of an alien fight. . . .

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #452 on: October 25, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »
50? Pffft! Piece of cake    :)

Seriously, 50 increments are nothing!

Scenario:

NPR 1 opens fire at long range with missiles

After the missiles close to a few million km on their target, NPR 2 detects the missiles and starts launching AMMs.

Every 5 seconds, AMMs are launched. AMMs intercept, some miss, more AMMs are launched, new salvos appear on radar, more AMMs are launched,.....

This can go on quite a while.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #453 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
The only reason I'd consider this an issue is if you turned off the Invader NPR, specified no starting AI NPR's and haven't explored any jump points.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Goron

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #454 on: October 25, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
Last night I sat through 3 and a half hours of <=1 minute increments (3. 5 game hours, not real time, luckily enough 1 minute increments spend it up nicely)

It was horrible. . .  Horrible knowing that someone was (likely) fighting, with weapons, while I had absolutely no defensive navy set up and a shortage of Duranium!  ;D

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #455 on: October 25, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
Right now it looks like Area Mode PD behaves identically to Point Blank Mode PD.

In addition it looks like energy turrets (even non-CIWS, I used Lasers) can fire in Point Blank Point Defense Mode even without a power plant on the ship. Offensive firing still doesn't occur though, with the message that there is no power in the capacitors.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #456 on: November 01, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »
Right now it looks like Area Mode PD behaves identically to Point Blank Mode PD.

In addition it looks like energy turrets (even non-CIWS, I used Lasers) can fire in Point Blank Point Defense Mode even without a power plant on the ship. Offensive firing still doesn't occur though, with the message that there is no power in the capacitors.

I took a fresh look at my test scenario and still could not get my ship to use Area Defense, but after that ship tragically died is a large size 900 explosion from a size 40 drone the next one I magicked in worked fine. I am pretty sure that I was doing everything right with that first ship, so maybe there is some sort of issue with Fire Controls not properly resetting from various fire conditions properly? Not entirely sure, and with that ship dead and no database there is no way to look deeper into it.

That second bug about the lack of reactors is more straight forward to replicate though.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #457 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
I took a fresh look at my test scenario and still could not get my ship to use Area Defense, but after that ship tragically died is a large size 900 explosion from a size 40 drone the next one I magicked in worked fine. I am pretty sure that I was doing everything right with that first ship, so maybe there is some sort of issue with Fire Controls not properly resetting from various fire conditions properly? Not entirely sure, and with that ship dead and no database there is no way to look deeper into it.

Specific details would really help.  Things like a full ship design listing, range setting for the area defense, active sensors if not from the defending ship, size and speed of missiles, etc etc etc.

Are you still playing v5.42? or should this be in the v5.5 bug thread?
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »
Specific details would really help.  Things like a full ship design listing, range setting for the area defense, active sensors if not from the defending ship, size and speed of missiles, etc etc etc.

Are you still playing v5.42? or should this be in the v5.5 bug thread?

Unfortunately I finished my random testing and deleted the database to upgrade to v5.54 (I was using 5.42). However I can specify most of the pertinent statistics from memory (and the second ship was identical to the first, so no sensors or anything changed). I SSMed up the full beam/sensor etc etc technology tree, and was shooting very slow missiles at them to get an enormous range advantage on the missiles.

The ship had the following data relevant components:
An enormous resolution 1 active sensor. All technology unlocked, 35HS of space, it could see size 6 missiles and smaller at over 400m km. None of the ships on either side had passive sensors, so if the "Big Target" could see a missile it was because it had an active sensor contact. The firing ship was close enough so that missiles of any size were spotted immediately.
A large fire control, built with a targeting range of 1.4m km, the max. I can't really remember the target speed, whatever the max research is times 4.
A quad turret of lasers that rotated at a speed close to the fire control speed. The mounted lasers were (I believe) the largest lasers that could fire every 5 seconds, they had a range of 340k km.
The ship had a lot of Cargo Spaces to get very large, for my tests in damage configuration for laser warheads, it also had lots of armor (50 thickness) to survive many test rounds before I needed to SM repair it.

I did several rounds of various sorts of tests, the first intentional hits (speed 1) with a few types of warheads and laser warheads to determine damage spread, then I upped the speed to determine if the different laser beams in a large laser warhead targeted separately.

At this point I moved to targeting tests. I redesigned a few types of missiles for these, the size 3 "Slow Boom" which only went 8.4k km/s, matched by the size 3 "Slow Laser". Later on, to see whether the small sizes had anything to do with it I also introduced a size 40 drone "Slow Boom" and a size 40 drone "Slow Laser" that each moved 12.6k km/s. In every test I just fired one missile at a time.

I started off with various manual targeting, trying both Auto Fire, and not, manually firing, all sorts of things. It's at this point that I think I must have put this ship in an invisible bad state that caused me problems, I don't know if I told it to target a ship out of range, or target a missile that then hit it and exploded, or what (and this is all hindsight, so I didn't try to do anything to clear the targets) but by the time I put it into Area Defense Mode (range 30, or 300k km, short of all of the relevant maximum ranges but with more than 300 seconds to shoot at the slower missiles) it just didn't attempt to shoot at anything regardless of range. It also didn't do a final PD mode when the missile did hit it. Final Point Defense mode worked totally fine, but Area mode didn't work at all. As a final try I sent the size 40 "Slow Boom" after it, with a strength 900 warhead. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the ship.

I SMed in a fresh ship as a Hail Mary, and from that point on the Area Defense Mode worked completely normally.

Offline Orieni01

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #459 on: January 27, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »
Hello, I'm using 5. 42 and what I'd like to know is where the images are stashed.   I don't have any images with the game, other than those of the flag and alien packs elsewhere on the board.   Everytime I try to open the race details, it tells me EnterpriseA is missing.   What file should I be looking for?  I presume it is in one of the dlls.   Thanks.   

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #460 on: January 27, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
Actually the file itself is in the directory.  Its most likely in your aurora directory, subdirectory "ships"

If the file is missing, you can duplicate another enterprise icon, and rename the duplicate EnterpriseA (or whatever the missing file name is)

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »
Got the technical blueprints for Contruction 50 BP from a TL 1 Races ruin... It feels abit odd... Bug???
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
Got the technical blueprints for Contruction 50 BP from a TL 1 Races ruin... It feels abit odd... Bug???

An interesting point. I guess I should limit construction techs based on the tech level of the ruins

Steve

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
Should have been in the 5.60, used my smart phone... Wasnt to smart I think  8)
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Orieni01

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #464 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:20 AM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3348. msg45884#msg45884 date=1327709189
Actually the file itself is in the directory.   Its most likely in your aurora directory, subdirectory "ships"

If the file is missing, you can duplicate another enterprise icon, and rename the duplicate EnterpriseA (or whatever the missing file name is)

I downloaded a newer install file and found them there.   Apparently when I first installed it simply didn't put those folders into the game folder.   Thanks.