Author Topic: Impressions on using version 6+  (Read 2016 times)

Offline James Patten (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Impressions on using version 6+
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
It's been about a year or so since I'd last played Aurora.  For some reason I decided to pick it up again, this time using version 6.2.

I think I am rather delighted at the granularity engine design has gotten.  It makes it much easier to start working on smaller ships.  I have a tendency to use sub-1000 ton ships for my survey operations, and to put them in a carrier for carting around between systems.  Prior to now I'd have to research a normal engine, then later a FAC engine (and later a fighter engine).  Now it's much easier to do.

What I'm finding rather challenging (in a good way) is the proper balance between engine size and power/efficiency.  I've just started experimenting with designing a larger engine matching the requirements of a particular class, rather than designing one or two styles of engine, and sticking multiples of each on until I get the right speed.  There's also trying to decide the trade-off between speed and fuel usage.  And I can do this on both ship engines and missile engines too! 

Because I was having so much trouble with trying to come up with good balance,  I started a pre-TN campaign with no NPRs, so that I could work from the ground up and figure out the best balance for myself.  After 40 game years I think I'm starting to figure it out, although with no opponents yet it's hard to tell.  Once I explore a few more systems (so that I have a buffer!) I am going to add an NPR and turn on Precursors.