Author Topic: Tech Tree visualization  (Read 6227 times)

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
Tech Tree visualization
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
I made a simple graph of the technologies and their dependencies. This is purely an automatic conversion; I'm sure a hand-drawn graph could be a lot more readable. Anyone have any suggestions?

The following users thanked this post: Rye123, UberWaffe, skoormit, dlathro1

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Tech Tree visualization
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:23:26 PM »
Thank you for this.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »
You're welcome.

I've made a different version, this time going back to leaving out the categories. I'm not sure which I prefer; what do you all think?

The following users thanked this post: Rye123, Geezer, Mr.Nap

Shaun Broderick

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 04:43:16 AM »
This is great, and could prove to be very useful, but in it's current form is extremely difficult to navigate through, as you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to be able to scroll left, or right.  It would be amazing if this could somehow be integrated into the game with scroll bars to navigate through.

Offline Mr.Nap

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:43:17 AM »
I really like your second version, a very interesting classification of technologies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:49:10 AM by Little French »

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 05:01:47 AM »
It's nice but maybe some of the techs could be separated to a different image to make viewing it a bit more user friendly?
Like separate Ground force tech to own tree?
Maybe add a image just to show tech which you begin with and on tech trees only show the starting tech that has an actual children?

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 05:15:07 AM »
Like what makes it in Distant worlds? With perhaps, color codes of progressions, in the technological branch?
In order to effectively differentiate the search classes? As Doren says, less bushy?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:25:35 AM by Little French »

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »
Showing only nodes that have a prerequisite or are a prerequisite is a good idea; it does limit the clutter a bit. It was a bit annoying to implement though:

I wish I could get the key to move to the top, that's really bugging me.

I've played Distant Worlds, but when you mentioned its tech tree I couldn't recall it; I had to go look for pictures. Using different colors for the tech categories might be a really good way to go.

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
Do you already have an idea of its structure? I mean that, you could make sub-branches (if possible of course). A main branch? For example: infantry, and in sub-branch, all its technologies? Who belong to him? Light infantry, elite, etc ... But with color codes?
When do you think ?
Of course it is easy for me to say, than to do. :)
Still, create, a tree with so many technologies, I take my hat off to you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:55:02 PM by Zirplay »

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:04 PM »
What does secret tech mean? What are the prerequisites to finding them?

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »
Well, here it is with each node colored by category:

It's much more readily apparent that most techs are assigned to the 'General Sciences' category rather than a more specific one. I wonder if this is even displayed anywhere in the game; it may just be a remnant left over from an earlier point in the game's development.

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »

That would be a spoiler. Suffice it to say that if you wish to spoil the secret, you can do so by searching for the correct terms in the correct locations, or you can discover the information through exploration of the game itself.

I probably should filter them out, along with some techs that are only used by certain spoilery things in the game, and that you can't even research.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »

That would be a spoiler. Suffice it to say that if you wish to spoil the secret, you can do so by searching for the correct terms in the correct locations, or you can discover the information through exploration of the game itself.

I probably should filter them out, along with some techs that are only used by certain spoilery things in the game, and that you can't even research.

Ah. Ok then. I had never heard of them before. Thats all. Time for secret/lore hunting. Something i love to do.

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 04:08:43 PM »
Well, here it is with each node colored by category:

It's much more readily apparent that most techs are assigned to the 'General Sciences' category rather than a more specific one. I wonder if this is even displayed anywhere in the game; it may just be a remnant left over from an earlier point in the game's development.

Very good work. Do you think it is possible to make a color difference for each technology? Civil, Military, etc ...?

Online db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »
Very good work. Do you think it is possible to make a color difference for each technology? Civil, Military, etc ...?

Not automatically; that information doesn't seem to be stored in the database. Either that or I completely misunderstand the database schema; that doesn't even seem very unlikely.