Author Topic: Colony industry  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Geezer (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
Colony industry
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
I have a colony of about 84M folks on Mercury.  There are 13M available workers.  However even trying to build one construction factory will take 120 years!?  So how do you get the industry going on a fairly new colony so you can make stuff in a reasonable amount of time?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Colony industry
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:35:29 AM »
You make the first batch of installations on your homeworld and ship it to the colony.

The following users thanked this post: Geezer

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
You transport factories, forced labour construction camps, or construction ground units from somewhere else.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

The following users thanked this post: Geezer

Offline Geezer (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:41:38 AM »
Thanks guys.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »
I have a colony of about 84M folks on Mercury.  There are 13M available workers.  However even trying to build one construction factory will take 120 years!?  So how do you get the industry going on a fairly new colony so you can make stuff in a reasonable amount of time?

Workers don't produce anything unless they have installations to work in.
If you want them to build stuff, you need to ship construction factories, and minerals.

It can take a very long time to bootstrap a colony at starting tech levels.
A single confac requires 120 BP and gives back just 10 per year, meaning your industrial capacity grows at an annual rate of 8.3%.
Spending some time researching Construction Rate technologies increases this return rate, but you might find that it's really better to keep all your industrial capacity at your homeworld, so that you can benefit from the best governor bonus and have access to all the minerals without needing to haul them.

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »
You transport factories, forced labour construction camps, or construction ground units from somewhere else.

Construction ground units don't build things in C# like they did in VB. They only build fortifications for ground units.

I stand corrected.
The Construction Equipment module contributes industrial production equivalent to 0.05 con facs.
A formation of 20 of these costs 144BP and 144 vendarite, and provides production equivalent to 1 con fac (which costs 120BP, 60 duranium, and 60 neutronium).
So, the formation carries a 12% cost premium over a confac, but doesn't need duranium.

The formation has 3600 troops, which requires 3.6 troop transport bays to move. That's a build cost of 72bp and a size of 3.6kt.
(Obviously you can't build 3.6 troop transport bays. My numbers here are just for comparison to a single confac. Adjust your formation size to suit your troop transport ship design.)

One con fac requires 1 standard cargo hold (50bp, 25kt) and a cargo shuttle bay (20bp, 0.5kt) to move. That's 70bp and 25.5kt for just one cargo hold, but you can add more holds without needing more shuttle bays if you want to move more than one per ship (although you'll need a big shipyard first).

Worth noting: the standard cargo hold requires 50 duranium, whereas the 3.6 troop transport bays require 18 duranium, 18 neutronium, and 36 mercassium.

In the very early game, it might be worth building and shipping construction troops rather than confacs for colony bootstrapping purposes, especially if you have a duranium shortage. You pay a little bit more in wealth for the troops, but you pay less for the shipyard and less for each ship. The big advantage, though, is that troops don't need infrastructure or population.

Heck, you can do both. At the start of the game, you have 4 GU training facilities just sitting there. Research the tech and use those facilities to crank out construction troops.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:51:29 AM by skoormit »

The following users thanked this post: Kof

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »
Construction ground units don't build things in C# like they did in VB. They only build fortifications for ground units.

They still provide a tiny bit of build points, so it would still be possible to kick-start a colony with ground units. I haven't tested in large-scale, so I don't know how efficient it is, but it is possible.

The following users thanked this post: Kof

Online skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »

They still provide a tiny bit of build points, so it would still be possible to kick-start a colony with ground units. I haven't tested in large-scale, so I don't know how efficient it is, but it is possible.

I stand corrected.
The description of the construction module in the change thread didn't say anything about it, and when I tested it in-game a (few versions ago) I concluded that they did not provide general BP.
Either it was a bug that has been fixed, or my testing was inadequate.
I will edit my post.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »
I believe each 'Construction Equipment' component present is worth 1% of a Construction Factory, multiplied as usual by commander bonuses and governor bonuses.