Author Topic: how to add new commander names theme?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
how to add new commander names theme?
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
I figured out that you can add an empire theme from the main menu-bar, Game menu, Add Theme.  There's also an option in that menu to provide a new list of ship names.  What about commander names?  Is there any way to add to the game a new set of commander names, or modify one of the existing ones?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: how to add new commander names theme?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:02:02 AM »
No, this isn't possible. Commander Name themes don't all follow the same rules so I have to code the differences. However, if you have the names for a new theme I can add it to the next version

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
So, can anyone give a step by step of how to add ship names as I can't quite get it to work.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »
No, this isn't possible. Commander Name themes don't all follow the same rules so I have to code the differences. However, if you have the names for a new theme I can add it to the next version
What I wanted to do was create an English or American theme with only male first names.  It breaks the suspension-of-disbelief for me when I have female officers getting blown up in the thick of a space battle.  (It's not as bad as Dwarf Fortress, though, in which female axe-dwarves carry their babies into combat...)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:37 AM »
Sounds like what you need is an option to exclude female names, rather than a new theme. That would be simpler and also work for all themes (although I think there may be one or two that don't flag female names).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
Would be useful to be able to exclude male names as well, for those times that you want to play as the Matriarchy :D

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
An option would be great, but I would have assumed that'd be a lot of extra work for you, compared to simply uploading a modified list of names.  If you can squeeze it into a future release, that would be wonderful.  Thanks for developing a great game.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
Would be useful to be able to exclude male names as well, for those times that you want to play as the Matriarchy :D
+1 :)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
As long as we're piling on requests for new features for Steve to implement, why not ask for toggles so that naval and ground forces could be all-male, while scientists and civilian administrators could be either sex?

I also see the potential for a "war between men and women" campaign in the future...