Author Topic: Flying missile base.  (Read 1788 times)

Offline IveGotNoIdea (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • I
Flying missile base.
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:28:37 AM »
I accidentally gave my Missile Bases task group order to survey nearest planer or moon, what was my surprise when I saw Missile Base on the orbit of Luna trying to actually survey it, I checked if I didn't gave my geosurvey task group this weird name, but no - the whole nuclear arsenal of the 20th century humanity is now on the orbit of Luna.  It is the second time I see something without drive to fly, first time it was civilian freighter, now it is whole PDC, are those things even meant to do that? Maybe I will skip adding engines to my designs? They do quite good without them.

BTW how do  I get those things back to Earth? They provide free protection level and I'm not sure I could explain why people should feel safe when huge chunks of concrete and steel with NO ENGINES are flying right over their heads.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Flying missile base.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »
O_o!

If you turn on SM you can magically teleport it back to earth using a control in the task groups / history tab. IIRC.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »
Unfortunately for you, PDC's are considered ships in the design screen.  This means that it has the minimum 1km/s speed that any ship/base has, even though it does not have engines.

Brian

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »
Now one song comes to my mind "Ups, I did it again.  .  .  " This time my Missile Base went to JP survey location.  .  .   I was curious why I had error 6 every second, until I finally noticed that strange survey task group with 1km/s speed sitting there and doing nothing.  .  .   
BTW what does default order "follow higher fleet in system" do? I'm quite sure that if I give it to missile complex it will fly to.  .  .   wherever this order will send it.   It might be even possible to move PDC from planet to jump point to guard it.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
 It might be even possible to move PDC from planet to jump point to guard it.

And PDC's have no maintainance so they can be left there indefinately... Even better you can send hangar PDC's to sit there which would allow you to rotate through new designs of upgraded defenders without having to deal with the long time to move from planet to jump point.

I wonder once they are away from a planet, do the pdc's become eligable for tractoring?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Woah.  I think that would qualify as an exploit.

Can... you... tug a pdc?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
This sounds like a ship without engines being used as a base not a PDC.  PDC's should not have any speed associated with the design.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
And you cannot give PDCs any orders to begin with.

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
You can give orders to PDC, not normal ones but "Default Orders", using those orders I sent my whole pdc "fleet" to the moon.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
Ah right, just checked it myself and that's true, they will follow Default Orders. Good idea to put it in the Bugs thread so Steve can fix it.