Author Topic: How to fortify ground units  (Read 2347 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
How to fortify ground units
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:03:46 AM »
Hi all

Can't work out how to do this, can someone give me a pointer? I've built a bunch of STOs, have several engineer units which I've attached to the STO but can't then see how to fortify.

Thanks!

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How to fortify ground units
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:05:29 AM »
If you have construction units in the same formation, then the fortification should happen automatically. It just takes time. Try passing time and see if their fortification value goes up.

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:02:48 AM »
If you have construction units in the same formation, then the fortification should happen automatically. It just takes time. Try passing time and see if their fortification value goes up.

How would that work if I had a separate formation for engineers?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:08:45 AM »
You know what ... I just read the wiki again, and it seems that contruction units can work on units outside of their own formation, but they still need to be in the same hierarchy - so either in a parent formation or have both formations be subordinate to the same parent formation.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Ground_Combat#Self-Fortification_and_Construction_Elements

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
There's some natural fortification you'll get from any unit (except maybe UHVs?). For static, the fort level will go from x1 when deployed, up to x3 after 90 days. You need construction vehicles in the hierarchy to get higher than that, but if you have them, they'll start fortifying things. I had two construction vehicles (VEH, 2x CON) in a regiment, and within a few years they'd taken my 7200 tons of basic infantrymen from x3.00 up to x4.28 fortification level. (They pick one unit at a time to fortify, it seems.)

It happens automatically, but it's pretty slow.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »
There's some natural fortification you'll get from any unit (except maybe UHVs?). For static, the fort level will go from x1 when deployed, up to x3 after 90 days. You need construction vehicles in the hierarchy to get higher than that, but if you have them, they'll start fortifying things. I had two construction vehicles (VEH, 2x CON) in a regiment, and within a few years they'd taken my 7200 tons of basic infantrymen from x3.00 up to x4.28 fortification level. (They pick one unit at a time to fortify, it seems.)

It happens automatically, but it's pretty slow.

It happens faster with more construction vehicles - but they are quite heavy. Also the cap with construction for infantry at least seems to be 6 but note that during combat planetary terrain will modify that.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »
The cap for infantry is 6, the terrain modifies the unit's current fortification level.  So a x.5 terrain modifier would mean a fully fortified infantry unit would get an effective level of 3 and a x1.5 would mean the same unit would get an effective level of 9.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 03:56:06 AM »
As I understand, construction factories were supposed to help with fortification.

Is this true and how does it happen?

Do I need to assign factories to units or smt?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 04:02:20 AM »
Construction factories shouldn't do anything for fortification. You need to build ground units with the construction module. The fortification should happen automatically if the construction units are in the same formation, in a parent formation or share a parent formation with the units you want it to fortify. I don't think you can control which units they fortify, but they have a prioritization.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110539#msg110539

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT, skoormit, Eretzu

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
As I understand, construction factories were supposed to help with fortification.

They were not, and they don't. You're thinking ground units with construction equipment.

Is this true and how does it happen?

It is not, and it doesn't.

Do I need to assign factories to units or smt?

You need to build ground units with construction equipment (which is not available for INF or static units) -- for which you may first need to research Constuction Equipment for ground units (5000 RP).

Once you have ground units with Construction Equipment, simply advance time and they will automatically improve the fortifiation of any unit not set to "Front Line Attack" according the hierarchy chart in the C# Aurora Changes List post about it. . .  findable through the "C# Aurora Mechanics" forum "Table of Contents" thread.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, Eretzu

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
Thx for clarification