Author Topic: MSP and repair  (Read 2597 times)

Offline 15minutegamer (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
MSP and repair
« on: April 30, 2020, 04:50:08 AM »
So I have my Tribal class survey vessels, just playing around with the mechanics of the game, set up is below.  I have bought it back to earth and it has 104 supply points remaining after a tour.  Now my question is what do I do with it now, I'm confused can you not just fix it back to full MSP?
I've clicked on my shipyards and I can't repair there is nothing in class or shipname, refit says I cant do it the same again, I can scrap it? Do I need to build something else to get its MSP back or does MAINT life just mean it has 14 years and then it goes to the scrap heap?

GEV Tribal  (Tribal class Geological Survey Vessel)      3,291 tons       57 Crew       329. 7 BP       TCS 66    TH 13    EM 0
189 km/s      Armour 1-19       Shields 0-0       HTK 22      Sensors 0/0/0/2      DCR 6      PPV 0
Maint Life 14. 90 Years     MSP 375    AFR 14%    IFR 0. 2%    1YR 3    5YR 47    Max Repair 150 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 240 months    Morale Check Required   

Hardy Thrust Commercial Conventional Engine  EP12. 5 (1)    Power 12. 5    Fuel Use 11. 18%    Signature 12. 5    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 48. 7 billion km (2981 days at full power)

Improved Geological Sensors (1)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline klyoh

• Leading Rate
  • k
Re: MSP and repair
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:06:49 AM »
The order to load the MSP is "resupply".    You need a maintenance facility and MSPs on the ground, or a supply ship with the appropriate MSP transfer component (can't remember the name). 

Maintenance life describes the average time the ship can continue repairing components before it runs out of MSP. 

Note that components break down faster the longer a ship has been deployed (so, on average, your ship will consume less MSP for repairs during its first year of deployment, and more during its fifth year).   This is followed by the TSO (Time since Overhaul) value.   

Maintenance facilities allow 3 things:
- MSP Transfer
- The TSO stops ticking up when in range of maintenance facilities with sufficient capacity
- You can reset the TSO to 0 by ordering an overhaul at a place with maintenance facilities

I am unsure whether components continue breaking down if you are in range of a maintenance facility, but as the ship would be resupplied nearly instantly this shouldn't be an issue. 

The "Intended Deployment Time" is linked to crew morale.   It changes the amounts of crew quarters on the ship.   This clock is reset, independantly from the ship's maintenance, by resting the ship at a place with a population of at least 50K, or with a recreatioanl module. 

As a more general comment, you might want to reduce the maintenance and intended deployment time and get a more powerful engine, both from an efficiency point of view (I don't have the calculations here, but you might even improve your range), and from an RP point of view, though this entirely depends on your vision and story (20 years of deployment is quite long to stay confined with 50 people. . . ).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:27:09 AM by klyoh »

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:22:21 AM »
The order to load the MSP is "resupply".  You need a maintenance facility and MSPs on the ground, or a supply ship with the appropriate MSP transfer component (can't remember the name).

Ok I am following now but when I go to ship orders it says orders cannot be assigned to a fleet which contains ships undoing overhaul ( I clicked overhaul at the colony in standing orders by mistake) but where does the overhaul take place and can I cancel it?

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Ok I've figured it out :)

So it's over on fleet organisation > logistics report, it completed its overhaul and then I just moved it to resupply

:)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »
Sorry guys but I'm getting crazy, where's the resupply order here? Been spent all day looking for it ???

(Screenshot attached)

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »
if you mean for conditional order its the "supply points less than 20% or 10%" if you mean for primary standing order there is none, you need to use conditional orders.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:08:23 AM »
if you mean for conditional order its the "supply points less than 20% or 10%" if you mean for primary standing order there is none, you need to use conditional orders.

Thank you, I was thinking of primary standing order.
In effect I'm now in a situation where my ship can get stuck in the space without moving.
I have a 22% of MSP (32 in number) (so the conditional order will not be executed) and 2 engines which require 37.5 MSP each.
Now 1 of them has been damaged and I am unable to carry out maintenance operations because I do not have enough MSP, if the other one get broken, my ship will be floating in the space forever.

Am I right or is there something I am missing?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
Yes, if the other engine breaks the ship will be stuck. You probably want to send it to a shipyard to repair it, and refill its MSP before sending it out again. Unfortunately the 20% supply points condition doesn't really work well in this case. Hopefully we can get a higher percentage condition in the future, or even better, a "Refuel & Resupply" conditional order.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:23:14 AM by JacenHan »

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Yes, if the other engine breaks the ship will be stuck. You probably want to send it to a shipyard to repair it, and refill its MSP before sending it out again. Unfortunately the 20% supply points condition doesn't really work well in this case. Hopefully we can get a higher percentage condition in the future, or even better, a "Refuel & Resupply" conditional order.

Well, I sent the ship to the shypard for reparation and it has been done, but the MSP refill no. It seems that in this situations you can't refil your MSP unless a low cost component get broken and the MSP level goes below 20%.
I am surprised why Steve has never corrected this.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
You can refill the MSP manually by giving the ship a "Resupply" or "Refuel & Resupply" (or similar) command at a colony that has it available. Repairing a ship won't refill fuel, MSP, or ammunition, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:23:26 PM by JacenHan »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »
Fleet --> Orders  -->  Move to Earth  --> Resupply at Earth