Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 146009 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2017, 12:49:47 AM »
it would be nice to have a filter to only show possible colonies with population cap above a certain limit.
How about a button with a text box, enter a number and all bodies with less than that max population are hidden, leave it blank and it just sorts every body based on max pop?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2017, 04:31:59 AM »
How about a button with a text box, enter a number and all bodies with less than that max population are hidden, leave it blank and it just sorts every body based on max pop?

That is a possibility as well, just, there's not much space left on that screen so I'm not sure where it should be put.

Steve, a question if I may. I'm not knowledgeable in these things but... I can't help but notice how MANY of those bodies in the Alpha Centauri screenshot are tidal locked. Is that normal, or just a chance event? I thought it was a much more rare condition than that.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
Most of the shown objects in Alpha Centauri screen are moons. Most of the moons are tidally locked to their planet. I believe in Sol all large moons are tidally locked.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:08:50 AM by Black »

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2017, 05:43:03 AM »
Most of the shown objects in Alpha Centauri screen are moons. Most of the moons are tidally locked to their planet. I believe in Sol all large moons are tidally locked.

I was probably not clear in explaining, so sorry for that.  I'm really not an expert  in these things. I just documented myself on wikipedia and it says:

Most significant moons in the Solar System are tidally locked with their primaries, because they orbit very closely and tidal force increases rapidly (as a cubic function) with decreasing distance. Notable exceptions are the irregular outer satellites of the gas giants, which orbit much farther away than the large well-known moons.

So, since in that Alpha Centauri screenshot  we have 4 moons orbiting over 8m kilomenters away from their gas giant and they're all tidal locked,   I was wondering if it was just a chance thing or not.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2017, 06:39:12 AM »
BTW for some reason the windows forms Listview control insists on changing the text colour of any selected row to the default for the control (see Mars below). This remove the indication colour (blue = habitable, etc) until that row is no longer selected. Very annoying and wasting a lot of time trying to fix it :). Any suggestions welcome.
I'm only just getting into VB myself, but is it possible to make the indicator a selection box instead of highlighting?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Looks rather good.

However I do have one suggestion, one to help us "filter" possible colonies. Now that LG worlds are a thing, the list of possible planets to colonize is very long. So I would have one suggestion. Since most of those planets have extremely low population capacity, it would be nice to have a filter to only show possible colonies with population cap above a certain limit.

I don't know, 25 millions? 10 millions? Because when I see a planet with a max population capacity of 0.05, I'm not really interested in colonizing that. Except in extremely rare cases.

Something that would probably help a LOT would be to allow sorting on the columns.  I would recommend the way Rule the Waves (and many others) do it - If you sort on column A, then column B, then column C, ties in C are resolved by keeping the previous "B" order; if "B" is also tied then they're resolved by the "A" order etc.  This would allow you to e.g. allow you to sort on atmosphere type (Venusian vs oxy-nitro) with a sub-sort of population capacity.  Note that this is helped a lot if the columns are arranged so that many of them have discrete values (e.g. Venusian vs oxy-nitro) as opposed to continuous "double" values.  So for this to work well, the "(0.1)" in the atmosphere column should maybe be in a separate column, so that all oxy-nitros are tied.

Another game to play here would be to allow filtering of the list - select a bunch of rows and then push a button and everything else goes into a "hidden" state.  That would let you hone in on optimal ranges on several "double" columns, e.g. first hide all low population cap bodies, then hide high pressure, then ....

John

John

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
BTW for some reason the windows forms Listview control insists on changing the text colour of any selected row to the default for the control (see Mars below). This remove the indication colour (blue = habitable, etc) until that row is no longer selected. Very annoying and wasting a lot of time trying to fix it :). Any suggestions welcome.

parameterListView.Items[0].UseItemStyleForSubItems = false;
parameterListView.Items[0].SubItems[1].ForeColor = Color.Red;

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
One thought on the gas mixture.  It might be a good idea to fill the second gas slot with anything toxic instead of just the second gas.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
parameterListView.Items[0].UseItemStyleForSubItems = false;
parameterListView.Items[0].SubItems[1].ForeColor = Color.Red;

Yeah!! Thank you!

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2017, 03:15:48 AM »
LOL, its first time I see Belorusian spam-bot.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »
LOL, its first time I see Belorusian spam-bot.

I assume that one of the spam posts that I deleted was in this thread. 'Cuz I don't think Steve has been taken over by a Belorussian spam version of skynet :)

John

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
I assume that one of the spam posts that I deleted was in this thread. 'Cuz I don't think Steve has been taken over by a Belorussian spam version of skynet :)

John

Yep.

Smileys, Non-Unicode characters, and a pic of a building with Cyrillic signage.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
The Create New Race window. This is accessed via the System View window and allows you to create a brand new empire based on a selected system body. Compared to the VB6 version, there is a lot more information on the new race, the primary species and the starting population. The race parameters are generated randomly and the details are displayed on the window. All of the fields are editable and can be used to modify the racial setup. Flags and Images can be altered before the race is created. The Random Name button is used to generate random values for the race name and title.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:29 PM »
I have an idea. In the current version of Aurora you need to activate designer mode in order to modify pregenerated races. If you want custom races at the start of a game you need to start with no races then add more after galaxy setup is complete.
However in most 4x games you can define AI races before game start, would it be possible to make the race details editable before galaxy generation?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »
I have an idea. In the current version of Aurora you need to activate designer mode in order to modify pregenerated races. If you want custom races at the start of a game you need to start with no races then add more after galaxy setup is complete.
However in most 4x games you can define AI races before game start, would it be possible to make the race details editable before galaxy generation?

The problem will be that the species element of a new race is based on the home world. Without a home world, that element is unavailable.

What I will be adding though for C# Aurora is a lot of species with preset characteristics for a Grand Crusade style campaign, which can be generated on any planet within their habitable range. In the Grand Crusade scenario, the galaxy has been without jump points for a long period, so cut-off colonies have grown into major worlds. The same species will be found in multiple Empires, which may cooperate or fight with each other depending on the species. You will be able to flag those for inclusion in any player campaign.