Author Topic: First Guns  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: First Guns
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
Jorgen_CAB

That looks like an issue with the class display.  As I recall this was identified several years ago and I thought Steve had corrected it.  Lasers are supposed to have a Proportional damage regression across the full range of the weapon. 

I've got a query into Steve to see what the correct damage formula is.

Something I noticed about the formula you posted.  If the range to target is less than the modifier you endup with a damage potential greater than the weapons set maximum.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
I just did a test to see what damage the above laser actually did in the game and it did 2 points of damage at 200km and 4 points of damage at 100km.

At least that is how it currently works in the game.

In my opinion this is somewhat logical since otherwise there would be no point in using a Particle Beam over a laser at all. I still regard Lasers as a better overall weapon but at least Particle Beams has its niche uses.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
I remember engaging in beam combat in a nebula before version 6. My ships were armed with lasers, theirs with beams. Ranges were roughly equivalent.
Had he been able to keep his range open, he would have slaughtered me because near max range, even though he didn't hit me frequently he hit me hard, strength 6 compared to the 1s and 2s I was able to reply with when I could see through the dust. Only by coming in close was I able to apply suitable damage, against an unchanged assault.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
Jorgen_CAB we were both wrong.  Though yours was much closer than mine. 

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
Effective Range (in units of 10k) = Contact Dist / Weapon Range Modifier
If Effective Range < 1 Then Effective Range = 1
Weapon Damage = Round Down (Weapon Damage Output / Effective Range)

NB: Wpn Damage Output is a set amount for each focal size (3, 4, 6, 10, 16, 24, 32, 40, 64, 96, 128, 168)

Steve
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley