Author Topic: Enemies don't pause when spotted for a second time?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
Enemies don't pause when spotted for a second time?
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »
So, basically, my game pauses when the enemy appears for the first time (new alien ship and whatnot), however my fear is always they're going to jump away before I can get rid of them all, because otherwise they game won't pause if if they disappear and then reappear for the second time.

How do I fix this? I remember back in ancient time it worked for me. I remember tinkering with this tool that lets choose which events pause the game, however right now even after comparing my save with freshly downloaded db I can't find a way to bring this functionality back on.

Any ideas? It's super frustrating to have to constantly save in case an "unpaused enemy" screws me over because I couldn't give orders to my ships.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Enemies don't pause when spotted for a second time?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »
I remember tinkering with this tool that lets choose which events pause the game, however right now even after comparing my save with freshly downloaded db I can't find a way to bring this functionality back on.

You're describing AuroraMod, although apparently it will not update for 1.13 so get it while you can I suppose.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
What are you talking about? It's not auroramod, it's that tool that's called event toggle or something like that.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
You're right, I got it mixed up with this one.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
I'm living with the same fear (or would be, if I had been playing recently). Afaik the difference is that the "new contact" event toggles an interrupt, but the reacquisition (or even just losing?) of a contact does not toggle an interrupt.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:06:29 PM »
Wait, so is my memort playing with me and it is a default behaviour for ships to not pause the game if they reappear on the radars?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 03:35:19 PM »
Wait, so is my memort playing with me and it is a default behaviour for ships to not pause the game if they reappear on the radars?

It's not a default behavior, but it can be easy to be fooled because the game pauses when a hostile contact is "updated", for example if a contact Enemyship 007 turns on its active sensors or changes its speed this will interrupt the game tick. However I believe if a contact is reacquired after being lost but no "update" occurs there may not be a pause because no event is triggered.

It's probably worth posting in the suggestions thread to make "contact reacquired" fire an event separately from contact updates.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »
Certainly not for neutral ones, which is what aliens generally start out as. Hostile ones have the flags set for new contacts and updates, but does updates include reacquisition?

I'm pretty sure I've not been getting events when something reappears on sensors. That's one of the reasons why the message logs were are so empty when looking for the cause of an interrupt loop.

I've got problems with mechanics like ground combat, sto and missile defense being tied to hostile diplo status anyway (let them be independent of that), because that way you can't decide to only start a fight on one body, or ignore certain neutral empires in shared systems (Sol), but react to them entering your claimed space.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »
ok, so I guess my ancient memory comes from updated contacts (I had this turned off but recently used event toggler to turn them back on as this helps at least with some cases), but jump points are the worst. They jump in, jump out and now I have a hostile fleet god knows where waiting to blast my everything because the game doesn't pause the next time they arrive.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
ok, so I guess my ancient memory comes from updated contacts (I had this turned off but recently used event toggler to turn them back on as this helps at least with some cases), but jump points are the worst. They jump in, jump out and now I have a hostile fleet god knows where waiting to blast my everything because the game doesn't pause the next time they arrive.

This should not be a problem really... if they jump back you just run a few 5sec turns and then you can crank up the time again and an interrupt will happen if the jump back in after this. The only way it would happen is if you allow them to jump out and then back in the same turn, I don't see how you would ever let a hostile contact do this.

When a contact jump into a new system and it is registered as being in that system it is a "new" contact, the same is true if it then later jumps back into the system you are in.

There could be a problem if you see the contact on the other side and then allow for a long turn and they jump into the next system, not sure how the game would handle the contact as new or not... don't thin I ever was in that particular situation. But then I wonder why you would be running long turns anyway if this was the case.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 05:24:23 PM »
This should not be a problem really... if they jump back you just run a few 5sec turns and then you can crank up the time again and an interrupt will happen if the jump back in after this

Except it is a problem because what you say here is simply not true - I had multiple occassions when alien ships would jump in, jump out 5 sec later and next time I see them my entire fleet is blasted to hell which obviously can't happen given the jump shock and all that within a single 5s increment, but the game doesn't pause immediately when they arrive.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 06:00:52 PM »
This should not be a problem really... if they jump back you just run a few 5sec turns and then you can crank up the time again and an interrupt will happen if the jump back in after this

Except it is a problem because what you say here is simply not true - I had multiple occassions when alien ships would jump in, jump out 5 sec later and next time I see them my entire fleet is blasted to hell which obviously can't happen given the jump shock and all that within a single 5s increment, but the game doesn't pause immediately when they arrive.

If this was true then JP defence would be completely worthless... I have yet to experience this happening so maybe you have come across some bug, or you did something wrong that I don't know about?!?
Are you suppose to run 5sec turn for the rest of eternity when sitting and defending a JP?!?

I know for a fact that a contact that appear in a new system is a new contact and if they are flagged as hostile should cause an interrupt.

I bet Steve would have changed the behaviour if he himself experience this in his games as he should be as frustrated as you I believe.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 06:15:14 PM »
No, jp defence is not worthless - you just save often when you're at war, close the game without saving oncre your fleet gets screwed and then use smaller increments without auto turns till they show up so you can react properly...

Had this happen when running large incrememnts, who knows, maybe what you say is true in theory but in practice too much gets processed within one incremement - detecion including them opening fire as an "extra".

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 02:21:33 AM »
No, jp defence is not worthless - you just save often when you're at war, close the game without saving oncre your fleet gets screwed and then use smaller increments without auto turns till they show up so you can react properly...

Had this happen when running large incrememnts, who knows, maybe what you say is true in theory but in practice too much gets processed within one incremement - detecion including them opening fire as an "extra".

I suggest you add it to the bug report thread then as it is likely not suppose to work like that. The game are suppose to stop when a new contact is detected.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 02:47:32 AM »
This campaign's experience cannot be reported in bug reports, because there were DB intrusions in it.