Author Topic: Research queueing needs a slight tweak  (Read 1997 times)

Offline FunnyMan3595 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
Research queueing needs a slight tweak
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
The research interface has been frustrating me like crazy, mostly due to one simple UI issue.   Namely, when a new research project is crested, it isn't automatically selected.

Why is this a problem?  Consider what happens when someone wants to set up a research queue for a new scientist.   Create the research project, then queue a few more.   Run time for the first project to finish. . .  and discover that you now have research labs unused because the projects you queued weren't assigned to the same scientist.   And there's no way to transfer them over, so you need to re-create a research project, ensure that it's selected this time, and THEN queue the remaining projects.

Rather less simple (but also useful) would be a "predicted available" project list, which includes projects that depend on the ones currently researching/queued for the selected scientist.   I've been using "Queue Top" on the all projects list to emulate this, which is hacky and exploity, but it gets the job done.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Research queueing needs a slight tweak
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
The research interface has been frustrating me like crazy, mostly due to one simple UI issue.   Namely, when a new research project is crested, it isn't automatically selected.

Why is this a problem?  Consider what happens when someone wants to set up a research queue for a new scientist.   Create the research project, then queue a few more.   Run time for the first project to finish. . .  and discover that you now have research labs unused because the projects you queued weren't assigned to the same scientist.   And there's no way to transfer them over, so you need to re-create a research project, ensure that it's selected this time, and THEN queue the remaining projects.

Rather less simple (but also useful) would be a "predicted available" project list, which includes projects that depend on the ones currently researching/queued for the selected scientist.   I've been using "Queue Top" on the all projects list to emulate this, which is hacky and exploity, but it gets the job done.

Actually, you can just remove the mis-assigned jobs from the queue and re-assign them properly. :)

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »
Which is exactly what I meant by re-creating them.   You can't transfer them to a new scientist, so you have to destroy the queue you built and reassemble it with the new scientist.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
I didn't even know you can queue science projects. I thought the scientists research concurrently? :o

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
They do, but you can assign a research queue to individual scientists by selecting them in the list at top, selecting the next project at left, and then hitting Queue at bottom right.   When they finish their current project, they'll automatically begin the next one, rolling over any excess RP into the new project.   For small projects and large increments, I've seen as many as three research projects get finished by a single scientist, who then went on to work on the fourth project.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Which is exactly what I meant by re-creating them.   You can't transfer them to a new scientist, so you have to destroy the queue you built and reassemble it with the new scientist.

I misread you. I thought you meant delete the original project (which removes the queue assigned to him).

Offline Kinvadren

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »
I noticed the Queue thing for scientists but I couldn't figure it out so I've just ignored it so far.  I probably didn't do it right so it didn't work, or something.  A science queue would be handy though, if I knew how to use it.

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:28:15 AM »
i have a small problem here too.
i usualy research the same subject over and over with one guy. but to make queues you have to select "all research prejects" instead of the short list you can research, which is just lacking the next level of the tech which i want to research.
like researching expanding civilian economy over and over - you have to search alot for queueing.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
Wow never new about that, that is going to make researching revised versions of missiles a joy from here on it!

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
On the Research tab a small but useful index, something like "Potential RL", may be the total number of RL build - the actual maximal RL employed from the scientists, that is the number of RL buildable for completly satisfied the researchers' capability. It's a bad idea?