Author Topic: Solar Hegemony Redux  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Solar Hegemony Redux
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2024, 05:00:16 AM »
How'd you manage to get the 5,000-ton army regiments up to Luna? Last time I used fighter shuttles to move some Xeno equipment I ended up having to break the unit down into individual trucks - the 10 shuttle squad couldn't pick up the 10 trucks all at once; it could only pick up 10 individual trucks.
I created five different 250-ton formations, built a bunch of each, then used the shuttles to move them over and finally merged them together into those five regiments you see. Because the numbers did not match perfectly, I did not use the replacement template system but I think I'll try it with the Americans.

This seems ominous as it hints to some darker force behind Stalin's apparent good health...
Oh dear, what could it be?  8)

But then how will the Chinese get screwed over again, as is tradition?
I'm not sure if this campaign will last long enough for China to join in but we can hope that the tradition continues  ;D

And what is the US doing to counter this threat? Pretty soon it will not matter if the Soviets keep their agreement not to engage in ground combat if they can just kinetic-strike the West into dust unopposed!  :o
Ask and ye shall receive!

Thanks to Rocketdyne developing a new engine that is far more fuel efficient than the F-3, USA begins construction of the Gemini class:
Code: [Select]
Gemini class Recon Craft      500 tons       10 Crew       52.4 BP       TCS 10    TH 2    EM 0
200 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 18/18/0/0      DCR 0-0      PPV 0
Maint Life 2.14 Years     MSP 6    AFR 20%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 2    5YR 26    Max Repair 18 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 1 months    Morale Check Required   

Rocketdyne C-110/9 Engine F-2 (1)    Power 2    Fuel Use 201.25%    Signature 2    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 33,200 Litres    Range 5.9 billion km (343 days at full power)

Raytheon AN/AAR-1 (1)     Sensitivity 18     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  33.5m km
Raytheon AN/ACR-2 (1)     Sensitivity 18     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  33.5m km

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Scout for auto-assignment purposes

Pentagon wants a shuttle that can covertly monitor Soviet vessels and emissions, thus the Gemini which carries sensitive thermal and electromagnetic receivers, able to detect engines or other sensors from millions of kilometres away. Americans also managed to bring a new research lab online before constructing another new class, the Dionysus:
Code: [Select]
Dionysus class Early Warning Craft      500 tons       8 Crew       88.4 BP       TCS 10    TH 2    EM 0
200 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0-0      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.36 Years     MSP 11    AFR 20%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 6    5YR 96    Max Repair 72 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 15 days    Morale Check Required   

Rocketdyne C-110/9 Engine F-2 (1)    Power 2    Fuel Use 201.25%    Signature 2    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 33,200 Litres    Range 5.9 billion km (343 days at full power)

Raytheon AN/APY-3 (1)     GPS 720     Range 25.3m km    Resolution 10

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Scout for auto-assignment purposes

The large Raytheon AN/APY-3 gravitational radar system utilizes never-before-seen TN-technologies combined with terrestrial radar system, allowing the Dionysus to observer a huge area of space around itself, ensuring that the Soviets could never surprise them. Not so incidentally, the shuttle is capable of sharing targeting data for other space craft if necessary. Both Soviets and the Americans construct bona fide spaceports - the former at Baikonur, the latter at Cape Canaveral. As form follows function, both sites are surprisingly similar with dozens of shuttle pads, fuel tank farms, hangars and warehouses, and traffic control towers, not forgetting the armed security guards at the gates. In October, the deposits of Gallicite run out on Earth, though all three powers have ample stockpiles of it available to them.

American space assets at the end of the year. TS = transport shuttle, SCT = shuttlecraft, RS = rescue shuttle, SEC = security shuttle, AEW = early warning craft, RC = recon craft, GES = geological survey craft.

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, BAGrimm, Warer, BigBacon, nuclearslurpee

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #16 on: Today at 09:59:56 AM »

Whoa, talk about a little delay. I blame Paradox for finally putting a discount on the BattleTech DLC which meant I could try out the big BEX mod. Oh, and moving cities and changing jobs, those also took a little bit of my time.

The Pentagon has finally shown the greenlight for the formation of American Luna garrison. The brass had asked industry for a wide range of proposal for equipment while at the same time the in-house think-tanks had theorized doctrine and organization, ultimately leading to several rounds of wargames. Luna equipment would follow its own nomenclature, which confusingly meant that M1 was now the name of a shovel, a helmet, a carbine, an old armoured car, a tank prototype, a series of tractors, a field howitzer, a heavy anti-aircraft gun, an aircraft gun, a light anti-aircraft gun, a tank gun, a bayonet, a chemical mine, a flamethrower, a hand grenade, a rifle, a mortar, a Bazooka, a submachine gun, but now also meant the ultra-light carbine that used caseless ammo to prevent Lunar dust from jamming its mechanism and its Duranium coated body could withstand the extreme temperature swings between Lunar day and night. Or so its designers claimed. This carbine would equip the security and rear area troops while the infantry would go to battle with the M2 assault rifle, the M3 designated marksman rifle, the M4 light machine gun, the M5 Luna-Bazooka, the M6 Portable Mortar System, the M7 anti-air machine gun and the M8 all-terrain vehicle for logistics purposes.

Thanks to the lessons of the Second World War and the Korean war, all the infantry would be fully mechanized, utilizing the M9 and M10 armoured personnel carriers, one armed with a squad machine gun and the other with a light but high-velocity cannon. If encountering Soviet armour, the M11 Gun Motor Vehicle would be brought up, as it carried a heavier high-velocity cannon capable of utilizing the latest SABOT rounds. The M12 Motor Mortar System provided close fire support whereas field artillery wielded the M13 Self-Propelled Gun. For traditional cavalry duties, the M14 Fire Support Vehicle with its light automatic cannon and the M15 Mobile Gun System with its heavier sister, were available. Against the Red Air Force, if it ever appeared on Luna, the mechanized columns would be protected by the M16 HMG, which was just the M7 placed on a Luna-qualified trike, and the M17 Air Defence Vehicle, carrying a short-range surface-to-air missile. Further missiles and other supplies, were loaded onto the M18 logistics truck.

Finally, the planned heavy formations, which would form the mailed fist of America, would be built around the M19 main battle tank, carrying the same high-velocity cannon as the M11 but being better armoured as well as carrying secondary machine gun armament. They would be supported by the M20 infantry fighting vehicle, equipped with a medium automatic cannon and a machine gun. Just as well armoured as the tank, the M20 would ensure that its passengers would reach the battle intact despite expected heavy Soviet shelling. The M21 Air Defence Vehicle was truly a behemoth, being the largest combat vehicle that the Americans were planning to build and it carried both missiles and heavy AA guns, able to cover an entire formation against flying threats. The fact that the Soviets had not demonstrated such capability had not deterred American engineers.

A tank company would consist of 14 M19 MBTs, four in each of the three platoons, and one each for the company commander and vice commander. Four tank companies would make up a battalion, with its headquarters made up of a M24 CP5 headquarters tank, the battalion commander's M19, two M18 supply trucks and a M17 ADV for protection. Similarly, a mechanized infantry company would consist of 14 M20 IFVs, four for each of the three platoons and one for the company commander and vice commander. The dismounted infantry squad consisted of four M2 AR riflemen, two M3 DMR marksmen, and two gunners, one with the M4 LMG and the other with the M5 RPG. This squad could be split into two fireteams in two configurations - in the first form, the riflemen would form the manoeuvre element while the marksmen and the gunners would provide fire support. In the second form, each team would have equal equipment and thus manoeuvre separately, relying on the IFVs for fire support. A mechanized platoon would have four squads and a mechanized company would have three platoons, for a total of 48 riflemen, 24 marksmen, 12 LMG gunners and 12 RPG gunners. This did not include the crew of the M20 IFVs who were mandated to stay with their vehicle at all times. The fourth company in a Mechanized Battalion was a Weapons Company that, instead of infantry, had close-in fire support in the form of the M6 mortar and the M7 AAMG.

In July, Corundium deposits ran dry on Earth but all powers had ample stockpiles of it. In August, the Soviet Union once more expanded its DSTS network and United States increased their fighter building capability. In September, the Soviet Yurga design and manufacturing bureau completed the prototypes of all four types of their MBP 100mm T-10 railguns, ranging in barrels from one to four. Each was capable of firing every 10 seconds. Naturally, the more barrels a gun had, the larger it became. It would be possible to upgrade the Krivak-M to use the faster firing single barrel gun but the larger guns would degrade its speed unless compromises were made elsewhere. Krivak-M10B1, -B2, -B3 and -B4 would also require a more powerful powerplants which required more space. In fact, the Krivak-M10B4 became so heavy that its speed dropped from 700 m/s to 438 m/s. Reducing the fuel storage slightly, from 26,000 litres to 21,000 litres, allowed Krivak-M10B1 to remain at 250 tons and 700 m/s. The Politburo ruled that on the short term, this approach was to be taken. The other versions would have to wait for the emergence of more powerful engines.

November saw the 18th American research complex start work and it was sorely needed as Pentagon demanded that the Essex class armed shuttle should fly as soon as possible to counter the Soviet Krivak gunships. If they had known the maintenance problems that the CCCP KOSMOS was struggling with, they might not have been quite so worried. Production of mines had been halted by the Kreml and a new crash build of maintenance facilities was prioritized. This program was completed on the last days of December and allowed Kreml order the construction of 10 Krivak-M10B1 fighters.

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #17 on: Today at 11:19:57 AM »
Oh, and moving cities and changing jobs, those also took a little bit of my time.

Given your recent entry to the ranks of folks called "Doctor", I'm glad to hear you've successfully found a job. The market these days is not the best. Hope it is a good one, too!

Luna equipment would follow its own nomenclature, which confusingly meant that M1 was now the name of a shovel, a helmet, a carbine, an old armoured car, a tank prototype, a series of tractors, a field howitzer, a heavy anti-aircraft gun, an aircraft gun, a light anti-aircraft gun, a tank gun, a bayonet, a chemical mine, a flamethrower, a hand grenade, a rifle, a mortar, a Bazooka, a submachine gun, but now also meant the ultra-light carbine that used caseless ammo to prevent Lunar dust from jamming its mechanism and its Duranium coated body could withstand the extreme temperature swings between Lunar day and night. Or so its designers claimed.

"If we don't know what we're wielding, the enemy sure won't!" --some American general c.1956, probably

the M8 all-terrain vehicle for logistics purposes.

The M8A1 Tactical Resupply Utility Carrier Kit.  ;D

Honestly I can't believe the U.S. Army hasn't come up with this one yet...

the M7 anti-air machine gun
[...]
Against the Red Air Force, if it ever appeared on Luna, the mechanized columns would be protected by the M16 HMG, which was just the M7 placed on a Luna-qualified trike, and the M17 Air Defence Vehicle, carrying a short-range surface-to-air missile.
[...]
The M21 Air Defence Vehicle was truly a behemoth, being the largest combat vehicle that the Americans were planning to build and it carried both missiles and heavy AA guns, able to cover an entire formation against flying threats. The fact that the Soviets had not demonstrated such capability had not deterred American engineers.

Should I take this to imply that there will be mucking about with ground support fighters at some point in the campaign? Or are the AA units purely for roleplay purposes?

I usually can't bring myself to use AA even for roleplay purposes, it is simply too wasteful for me... but in some campaigns I have used, e.g., small Gauss turrets to represent AA elements as these have some minimal practical use despite the heinous expense involved.

If they had known the maintenance problems that the CCCP KOSMOS was struggling with, they might not have been quite so worried. Production of mines had been halted by the Kreml and a new crash build of maintenance facilities was prioritized. This program was completed on the last days of December and allowed Kreml order the construction of 10 Krivak-M10B1 fighters.

Given that the initial outlay of 5,000 tons supported is quite generous until survey ships start going up, the Soviets do seem to have seriously overbuilt their space forces here. Although given the general Soviet policy of preparing to utterly dominate a war and then failing to declare it, this is at least on-brand.

I note a general lack throughout this update of snazzy OOB graphics, while I would not fault an authAAR for such an omission it is a clear mark of taste and elegance borne by only the very best AARs thus such graphics would come highly recommended.  ;D