Author Topic: NPR Homeworld Oddities  (Read 1411 times)

Offline The Shadow (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
NPR Homeworld Oddities
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
Aurora's system generation code is pretty good.  Good enough to reproduce the fact that the Earth is unusually large and warm for a terrestrial world.  Problem is, the placement of NPR's doesn't take this into account.

There is a very good reason why the Earth is large and warm;  planets that aren't, probably can't evolve intelligent life.  Large planets support tectonics for a long period of time, and without tectonics, the atmosphere can't be stabilized against climate shifts.  (For that matter, without tectonics, there's nothing to keep the continents from eroding away in a surprisingly short time.)  If Mars were the same size as Earth, it would be a *much* more habitable place, all else being equal.

Warm planets support faster chemical reactions;  more to the point, they've been able to last in the continuous habitable zone longer than others.  (Back when the sun was dimmer, the Earth was still habitable;  planets closer in, like Venus, have since been roasted.)

Every NPR I've yet seen comes from a planet smaller than Earth, with less oxygen.  And all but one have come from a planet colder than Earth.  Result?   Unless their tolerances are unusually low, NPR's are considerably better at colonizing other planets than humans are!  I recently conquered an NPR homeworld, and they're miles better at colonizing;  I imagine they'll eventually be the large majority of my empire, unless for roleplaying reasons I take steps to prevent it.

Basically, planets without tectonic activity shouldn't be a candidate for NPR homeworld.  They should be less likely to have oxygen, too.  Stellar age should probably also be taken into account.

EDIT:  And I've yet to see an NPR that uses *more* oxygen partial pressure than we do, too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:47:25 AM by The Shadow »

Offline The Shadow (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: NPR Homeworld Oddities
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
Another somewhat-related topic.  Planets don't seem to have any population cap, even if they've got 90%+ hydrosphere coverage.  I would think it would be simple to generate a population cap for each world, then use the logistic equation for growth.

Offline praguepride

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • p
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »
Actually, I highly dislike arbitrary "caps". It's what really ruins Space Empire for me. Realistically, an advanced civilization could make incredible use of living space. Imagine using the density of cities like New York for an entire planet?

That would give Pluto a population cap of something like 100 trillion (27,440 people per square mile).  When you factor in orbital/sub-orbital stations, underground facilities, underwater facilities, floating facilities, population density quickly becomes a non-issue.

The question is how much infrastructure is needed to support high densities. I'd be fine with having even "Ideal" planets require infrastructure, but on a ludicrously low exchange rate, like 1 infrastructure per 1 billion people.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:20:47 AM »
Planets also need a Biosphere, so that density is not reachable without having 5% of the population constantly working in terraforming facilities to recycle Air, and they neer to produce food or industrial goods.
Then you would require a high amount of materials aswell, so Earth would pretty much be capped between 20 and 50 billions, depending on technology.

Also, A certain pop should automatically produce a limited amount of destructible, but unremoveable Infrastructure and production capacity every million or so.

at 1 billion, earth would then have, say, 1000 Infrastructure, I mean, in case of a nuclear Bombardment, someone always survives in a tunnel or something, this would mimic that.
Also, I always found it weird how a populace without industrial capacity can't build any, like, if you find a preindustrial civilization, grant them TN tech, and wait 100 years, the will still be a preindustrial civilization, as their capacity to produce equals zero and can't really be raised at all.