Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1656 times)

Offline PressXtoNotDie (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
A few questions
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »
Hi all, I am fairly new to the game, but I have gotten the hang of things, and I am alright at the game, but there are some things I am not sure I should or shouldn't be doing.

First question is what is the difference between a conventional empire start and Trans-Newtonian?
What are the benefits and disadvantages of each? or is it purely role-playing?

Second question is what should I be doing at the start straight away as soon as I start? I have been building survey ships, cargo ships, etc.  etc.  and all that, and I have also been pumping out auto mines and putting them on planets and moons and stuff that have an ok amount minerals on them.  The problem is I don't think I am expanding enough, cause earth runs out of minerals, and the other places with auto mines on them, don't pump out minerals fast enough, or they run out as well.

Should I be expanding beyond the sol system as fast as possible? what should I be doing?

Also what I am doing is keeping earth as the main building/researching/everything place and sending all the minerals there to earth.  Should I be doing this? is this wrong?

Thanks!  :)

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
1)TN empires start with more technology, more industry, facilities, shipyards, labs, scientists(I think), starting RP that can be spent on techs, and the ability to create fast OOB ships up to a certain amount(you can still SM them in, but it goes against the spirit of the starting conditions on conventional). conventional by contrast starts with fewer labs, some conventional industry(inferior in all regards but can be converted cheaply to TN facilities), no techs, 1 shipyard, and around 20 missile complexes(unless you turn them off).

2)Focusing on early mining can be tricky, you're likely going to run into a crunch unless you plan ahead based on availability and proven reserves(so crunch it is), just keep pumping automines and putting them where you need them.

3)exploring can be a boon, but you can also find danger out there, but as long as the appropriate options are set you can control the rate of dangerous things that happen to you. There is no real goal, so go at your own pace.

4)diversifying production later on can be worthwhile to take advantage of leaders, and get somewhat more industrial workers, but having everything on earth isn't a penalty until you run out of industrial workers on earth.  Each planet you do colonize though gives you faster pop growth than if you had everyone on earth, so you'll want to do that. Again, if its working for you keep doing it until that stops.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »
For the minerals, I usually use SM mode to make my home world minerals 10x the normal start. Other planets I leave alone.

Offline PressXtoNotDie (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:04:33 AM »
Thanks for the help, I will keep this all in mind.  It is just hard to keep pumping out auto-mines while you are running out of minerals faster than you are making them.  I think I should start focusing on exploring and expanding more, I just don't like moving population and minerals to and from the jump-gates/systems since you can not use mass drivers, and have to use cargo ships to transport them manually, unless there is a way to do this automatically?

Yeah SM mode does seem the way to go, but it just feels like cheating.  I know that once I start adding minerals through SM, I'll get 'power struck' and then never stop and cheat on everything lol.  "2 years to build?!?! Ah i'll just SM this ship, it won't hurt"

Also I have no idea what to do about ground units.  I have not touched this at all, and it seems to be important.  Any helpful advice?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:07:22 AM »
Thanks for the help, I will keep this all in mind.  It is just hard to keep pumping out auto-mines while you are running out of minerals faster than you are making them.  I think I should start focusing on exploring and expanding more, I just don't like moving population and minerals to and from the jump-gates/systems since you can not use mass drivers, and have to use cargo ships to transport them manually, unless there is a way to do this automatically?

Yeah SM mode does seem the way to go, but it just feels like cheating.  I know that once I start adding minerals through SM, I'll get 'power struck' and then never stop and cheat on everything lol.  "2 years to build?!?! Ah i'll just SM this ship, it won't hurt"

Also I have no idea what to do about ground units.  I have not touched this at all, and it seems to be important.  Any helpful advice?

SM Mode isn't cheating. It's for making the story the way you want it to occur. Aurora is not truly a game, it is a framework to aid fiction writing. Yes, it had its genesis in a game, but if you ask Steve I'm fairly certain he'd describe it as I did. I think he has before on the boards. :)

As for ground units, they come into play when you want to take over a hostile population. Or exploit a ruin.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:20:45 AM »
Ground troops serve to keep you own population in line, i.e. they counter unrest if your colony is overcrowded, or the colonists feel, there is not enough of a fleet precense to keep ´em save.

Of course, the main mission of your ground forces is taking and holding enemy real estate.

You drop them on an enemy colony and start to battle the enemy ground forces. Once all defending ground troops are taken care off, the enemy will surrender.
Now you need troops to keep the enemy population from revolting again and accepting, grudgingly, your rule. As your occupation continues, the enemy people become accustomed to your ruling and their status will improve.

As a general rule:

Organize your units (battalions) into brigades by assigning 4 battalions to a brigade HQ.
Organize your brigades into divisions, by assigning 4 brigades to a divisional HQ

Assign ground leaders with a healthy ground combat bonus to your combat battalions, brigade HQs and divisional HQs
Put those leaders with both a combat bonus _and_ a ground force training bonus in your HQs

Note: those boni stack, which means, you can increase the combat efficiency of your units a great deal by choosing the right leaders

For example, let´s say, your heavy armor battalion has a combat value of 16, now you assign a colonel with a 20% combat bonus to that battalion, put it into a brigade with a 10% combat bonus and have that brigade in a division with a +20% leader. This will bring the effective combat value of that battalion to 24 (50% total bonus)

Disclaimer: I am not sure if the various boni will be added first and the applied, or if they are applied one at a time. It realy doesn´t matter. It is a great benifit either way.

For conquest, heavy armor and assault infantry are best (attack rating are what counts here)
For occupation, mobile infantry and garrisons are best, as the defense value is important.

Troop transport modules serve to carry your troops where you want them to be. Be aware that loading/unloading takes quite some time, so those are not the best choise for an actual invasion.

Troop drop modules are what should be used in an opposed landing, as they unload _way_ faster (basicly, they are the equivalent of an air-drop compared to unloading on the pier at a leasurly pace)
There is a drawback to those, however. As the troops are loaded in a "ready to drop" status, staying in them for any length of time is very _very_ exhausting which will impact moral and combat efficiency after a couple of hours/days.

Many, me included, have gone over to pair actual troop carriers with dropships. Ferrying the troops to the hostile system in the TTs and loading them over to the dropships short of the enemy planet to invade.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
You'll probably need quite a few expensive engineers to recover stuff from ruins. Guard them with a few garrison or mobile inf units, or they will live an interesting but short life.

IIRC the combat boni stack, but only 1/4 of the brigade/division commanders' bonus applies to sub units.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
and have to use cargo ships to transport them manually, unless there is a way to do this automatically?

No, but there is a repeat orders option. so you can specify that a cargo ship should jump to the system, grab the minerals, jump back to earth, dump everything, refuel, then click the repeat checkbox and it will continue to do this as long as it can. If earth continues to produce fuel, and the system continues to mine you won't run into trouble with that setup.