Author Topic: Bugged game. Unclear on severity. Should I start over?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Jumpp (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • J
Bugged game. Unclear on severity. Should I start over?
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
I've got a really cool game going, but things are starting to get a bit flaky. 

I found this site with 150 or so abandoned installations.    I moved four construction brigades there and they were happily recovering stuff.    One of them woke some robots, and those were attacking every fiveday, but it was about even and my guys were going to be able to hold for a nice long time, plenty of time for me to get reinforcements there. 

Then my guys disturbed a second robot site.    Suddenly the ratios are double, and my guys are getting ground down pretty fast.    The reinforcements aren't going to make it in time.    Before my troop ships are even done loading on Earth, the four units on Innsmouth have been destroyed.    The colony still seems to exist?  Maybe?  It's on my Population and Production list, but it doesn't show the auto mines or the research labs or any of the other recovered stuff.    I didn't get a message about that stuff being destroyed, but it's not showing anymore. 

A couple months later my troop ships show up.    They don't have combat drop modules so I don't know how well they'll do, landing on an enemy world, but it looks like I've maybe got a colony there too so maybe it'll be okay?  I dunno.    Anyway, they land.  .  .  and vanish.    I fiddle around and eventually find some way to "transfer" them out of what seems like limbo and into the colony I've got there, and from there they attack and destroy the enemy units. 

Here's where things get weird. 

Now that colony is there twice.    Once it's got no governor and no stuff.    The second one has got a governor and all the facilities I'd lost.    I'm thinking maybe the second one is the recaptured one, and the first is some kind of bug-artifact.    The second one also has the population listed as "Occupied" and gets a nasty production hit. 

I get flaky stuff with overflows and whatnot, and I decide to try and clean up.    I move everything that's movable to a nearby asteroid, and then abandon both colonies.    Then I re-establish a colony and start moving stuff back again.    Things go well for a few days, but then that "ghost" version of the colony--the one with no facilities and no stuff-appears again on my list. 

So my question is: How screwed am I?  Do I just need to start over?  Is this bug going to corrupt the rest of the game and eventually make it unstable and I should just cut my losses and restart, painful as that'd be?  Or is this something I can play through?  Is it maybe a known issue and there's a simple workaround?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Bugged game. Unclear on severity. Should I start over?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
Working as intended. When you dropped troops onto the world that created a colony for you(to hold the troops). Then you conquered the enemy colony, which transfered ownership of the second colony for you, with all the stuff you used to have. Be sure to transfer ground units to the newly conquered colony before deleting the old one though.

Offline Jumpp (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • J
Re: Bugged game. Unclear on severity. Should I start over?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
Very glad to hear that.   Thanks!