Author Topic: Game freezing after a certain point  (Read 2342 times)

Offline mingmong (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
Game freezing after a certain point
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
My game keeps freezing as I approach the end of a month.  It seems to be related to a freighter TG I have whose orders were accidentally kept on cycled, and the orders I have now given them when it tries to cycle them seems to throw up this error as they reach earth orbit.  The game also freezes when I try to select the TG in the TG screen. I have deleted the ships from the TG but it is still there.  Any advice?

Offline Caplin

Re: Game freezing after a certain point
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Hi,
This almost sounds like a bug which existed in an earlier version of the game,
concerning cycled orders.
What version are you running?
As a note, you might want to post in the official bugs thread, so Steve has a
better chance of looking into it at some point.
Best,
Zack.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »
Are you sure it actually crashes, and it's not just taking several minutes to load all the orders? That used to happen sometimes.

Offline mingmong (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Running latest version.

It definitely crashes.  It freezes for ages, but I let it stay frozen for about 15 minutes and it eventually threw up an error message (which I can't remember) pertaining to the TG in question, then crashed.

Is there any way I can delete the offending TG through the xml or something?  It's just the TG that's the problem and I really can't bear to lose this game :(

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
I also got this today. Running 5.2 and it processes the turn for about 15 minutes then i get an Error 3421...title says Error in CycleOrders. Tomorrow will restart and try to turn of my frighters and colony ships with cycle on and see if it changes anything.

-Five

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:30:18 AM »
Could be an old error that I though was sorted. There was an issue at one time when cycled orders started and stopped in the same increment - or something along those lines.

If I remember correctly the main issue was that the ships were so fast and the distance so short that one part of the order might have been skipped in an increment for some reason. Therefore whenever the next increment fired off there was be a mis-ordering in the remainder of the orders.

I am not explaining it correctly but hopefully you get the jist.

Can you enter SM mode and then not only ensure the TG is deleted but also delete the ships that were in the TG? You can then respawn the ships using 'Fast OOB Creation' so you don't loose out.

Also, is it definitely your TG and not an NPRs?

Offline mingmong (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:37:29 AM »
Yes Five, that is the error message.
Beersatron, how do I delete a TG in SM mode?  As I say, I can't delete it through the task group screen because selecting the TG freezes the game.  This is also how I am sure it is my TG and not an NPR that is causing the problem.

Offline mingmong (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:39:55 AM »
Okay, it looks like I have kinda solved it by deleting the ships in the TG in the Ships panel, but the TG still exists and still crashes the game when I try and click on it.

Offline Five

• F
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Okay, it looks like I have kinda solved it by deleting the ships in the TG in the Ships panel, but the TG still exists and still crashes the game when I try and click on it.

Same here...and i had to uncheck cycle on everything else or it would still freeze. But ya, had to delete the ships and now can not use that TG.

-Five

Offline Five

• F
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
Wierd, right after posting this it happened again, with nothin on cycle but the bad TG. so i clicked it to see if i could get in and did..hmmm. well it is deleted now and now the game seems to be working good again...although that last freeze messed up my repeat orders so had to fix them.

-Five

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
You know, it would probably have been better to use the abandon ship button to destroy the ships in the TG. Task groups are deleted if the last ship in them is destroyed. You can probably still do it by adding another ship to them by whatever means.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
You know, it would probably have been better to use the abandon ship button to destroy the ships in the TG. Task groups are deleted if the last ship in them is destroyed. You can probably still do it by adding another ship to them by whatever means.

You can use Fast OB Creation under Spacemaster in the game menu to add a ship to an existing TG.