Author Topic: v1.70 Bugs Thread  (Read 10852 times)

Offline GreyGoldFish

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
Re: v1.70 Bugs Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
I've been having the following bug since 1. 0:

On the fleet menu if I select a ship that was designed with armor rating 0 then had its armor updated I get a "Function #2801: Attempted to divide by zero" pop up.   I didn't know you weren't supposed to design ships with no armor unless they were a space station, which is how I found out about this bug. 

It's easy to reproduce, all I had to do in the new version was to toggle space master mode, unlock a ship design, change its armor rating to 0, click the update armor button and click on the ship in the fleet menu. 

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
Fighters cause auto-turn interrupts, which makes it impossible to use auto turns when you're building fighters because they're normally built just about every tick.

Offline rainyday

• r
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
Quote from: Black link=topic=10934. msg125850#msg125850 date=1587324694
I am unable to create colonies in 1. 70.  I tried clean install, update from 1. 6. 3.  and even from 1. 0.  But nothing helps.  I click the button and colony is not created.  Anyone encountered this?

Oof.  I just spent two hours setting up ship and ground unit designs, medals and all sorts of stuff for my first ever non conventional start and then ran smack into this on turn 1 trying to drop Infrastructure on Luna. 

Back to my 1. 5. 1 game for now.  Hope the next patch isn't save breaking.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
Confirmed: Create Colony button in System View not working.  Worked in 1.6.3.
Confirmed: Economics window is being created off screen.

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Seems like if you make formation template, and/or make a unit from this tempte, and that formation have some auto-assigned rank, and after it you delete this rank - you'll have error Function #1752: Object reference not set to instance of an object.

Offline Tyrannus Rex

• Petty Officer
  • Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no b
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Economics screen popping up off screen and about one in every eight instances partial cutoff of screen usually the colony section.   

Edit: Depends on if clicking on construction or research tab to create cutoff. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:20:30 PM by Tyrannus Rex »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
I am unable to create colonies in 1.70. I tried clean install, update from 1.6.3. and even from 1.0. But nothing helps. I click the button and colony is not created. Anyone encountered this?

Sigh! I think everything is fine and I turn my back for a moment and there is a game-breaker :)

Confirmed problem and already fixed. However, due to my blood-alcohol level I think I would be better sorting out the 1.7.1 patch in the morning. No DB update required.

The following users thanked this post: davidr, JacenHan, SpikeTheHobbitMage, V1D0, bro918, mike2R, serger, VimWabbit

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:04 PM »
Economics screen popping up off screen and about one in every eight instances partial cutoff of screen usually the colony section.   

Try clicking the Reset Windows button on the tactical map

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline HeroicHan

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=10934. msg125880#msg125880 date=1587327432
Quote from: HeroicHan link=topic=10934. msg125878#msg125878 date=1587326838
System connection/numbering is super weird in this version. 
Started a new game, 1.  7. 
Random Stars, 100 star limit, 50/15 for local. 

I wanted to 'map' a galaxy by space master exploring all the jump points. 
Firstly, I could go over 100 systems.   I stopped at 101, but definitely could have gone more.   
Secondly, only one exploration led back to another system, which was sol (and had an unexplored point). 
Third, I noticed in a previous version that if your system theme runs out of names, it will start labeling them "System #x" where x is presumably the internal system id.   (which isn't available to display easily anymore)
In 1.  7, this results in "System #0" every time except one, which was for some reason "System #-3"
I know Sol is canonically id'd as system 0, so I'm guessing that this is tied to the fixes for the other Sol related jump point connection issues.

100 Stars limit is not exact limit.  This tells Aurora when to start generating new Systems but all the systems already generated before reaching that number do have already their JP generated prior the reach of the cap.  It is quite normal to have more than 100 systems.  What is intended with 100 system limit is to do not reach 200 or even 250 for instance.  This was also for VB6 Aurora.  It can happen to have dormient JP and I think it's same for C#, I believe I've asked once during development and Steve confirmed.  The last part I don't know, maybe a bug.

I'm not sure where your information is from, so I tested it myself.
In a random stars game, vb6 aurora, the game will only generate systems from 1 to the cap.  Sol (0) seems to be excluded from any rules.
You can change the limit at any time, but if you try to force generate a system with no free ID's between 1 and your cap, the game just crashes.
Additionally my understanding was nothing existed beyond a jump point until it was explored.  Until then it is just a vacant exit leading to somewhere or anywhere.
Dormant jump points are what happens when a new system's jump point rolls an already existing system that has been explored, and it adds a new jump point.

Anyways, C# 1. 7 : Seems to not be assigning ID's to systems in the usual fashion, and is not linking to existing systems, possibly for that reason.

I also did some testing in 1. 6. 3 to see the differences in galaxy generation.  On a 100 system limit, things were mostly as expected, but I was getting some numbers like 102, 105, and the -3. 
All of these numbers that fell "out of bounds" were systems that were within the local generation limit of 15.  For example, it was something like 91 connected to 102.
In vb6, local generation wrapped over the limit, so ID's like 999 could connect to ID's like 2, 3, 4.

Anyways, working as intended or not this is what I've found.  Hope it's useful.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 05:15:06 PM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=10934. msg125880#msg125880 date=1587327432
Quote from: HeroicHan link=topic=10934. msg125878#msg125878 date=1587326838
System connection/numbering is super weird in this version. 
Started a new game, 1.  7. 
Random Stars, 100 star limit, 50/15 for local. 

I wanted to 'map' a galaxy by space master exploring all the jump points. 
Firstly, I could go over 100 systems.   I stopped at 101, but definitely could have gone more.   
Secondly, only one exploration led back to another system, which was sol (and had an unexplored point). 
Third, I noticed in a previous version that if your system theme runs out of names, it will start labeling them "System #x" where x is presumably the internal system id.   (which isn't available to display easily anymore)
In 1.  7, this results in "System #0" every time except one, which was for some reason "System #-3"
I know Sol is canonically id'd as system 0, so I'm guessing that this is tied to the fixes for the other Sol related jump point connection issues.

100 Stars limit is not exact limit.  This tells Aurora when to start generating new Systems but all the systems already generated before reaching that number do have already their JP generated prior the reach of the cap.  It is quite normal to have more than 100 systems.  What is intended with 100 system limit is to do not reach 200 or even 250 for instance.  This was also for VB6 Aurora.  It can happen to have dormient JP and I think it's same for C#, I believe I've asked once during development and Steve confirmed.  The last part I don't know, maybe a bug.

I'm not sure where your information is from, so I tested it myself.
In a random stars game, vb6 aurora, the game will only generate systems from 1 to the cap.  Sol (0) seems to be excluded from any rules.
You can change the limit at any time, but if you try to force generate a system with no free ID's between 1 and your cap, the game just crashes.
Additionally my understanding was nothing existed beyond a jump point until it was explored.  Until then it is just a vacant exit leading to somewhere or anywhere.
Dormant jump points are what happens when a new system's jump point rolls an already existing system that has been explored, and it adds a new jump point.

Anyways, C# 1. 7 : Seems to not be assigning ID's to systems in the usual fashion, and is not linking to existing systems, possibly for that reason.

I also did some testing in 1. 6. 3 to see the differences in galaxy generation.  On a 100 system limit, things were mostly as expected, but I was getting some numbers like 102, 105, and the -3. 
All of these numbers that fell "out of bounds" were systems that were within the local generation limit of 15.  For example, it was something like 91 connected to 102.
In vb6, local generation wrapped over the limit, so ID's like 999 could connect to ID's like 2, 3, 4.

Anyways, working as intended or not this is what I've found.  Hope it's useful.

Hi, yes the bug on the system number is probably there as I said. I was referring to the number of systems created being an estimate never an exact number. I don't remember where I read it I just know that is the case.

EDIT: I have been told the above most likely not be true on SM, still not sure in-game standard jumps, so I probably wrongly remember to have read or asked something on this matter. I guess better wait for Steve's answer. Sorry for the confusion (if any) occurred.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:32:55 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Stormvermin

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 05:28:58 PM »
Adding the empty space above technologies under the technology category in the Research tab throws an error #585.   As far as I know this doesn't cause any other issues.   

However, adding that empty space to the queue of an existing research project will result in an error #2169.   This will cause the game to throw an error #2169 whenever you open the Economics window and will corrupt your game if you decide to save.   
A Research Queue tab is created but is entirely empty.   If you cancel the research project to get rid of everything in that queue, that appears to fix the bug entirely and will prevent the save from getting corrupted.   

If you don't fix the issue when you save the game will throw error #1429 upon saving

The map will be empty and pressing any menu button other than View Current Game and Create New Game (opens normally) will throw an error #155

And clicking on the map itself will throw error #1621

Edit: I spoilered and posted 4 images in this message, any idea why they don't appear?

Offline Demonius

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 05:47:59 PM »
Minimum post number requirement für pics, 5, iirc

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »

Try clicking the Reset Windows button on the tactical map
For those (like myself) who had difficulty finding it, it is under the Miscellaneous tab.

The following users thanked this post: Dira

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2020, 06:13:22 PM »
I am unable to create colonies in 1.70. I tried clean install, update from 1.6.3. and even from 1.0. But nothing helps. I click the button and colony is not created. Anyone encountered this?

Sigh! I think everything is fine and I turn my back for a moment and there is a game-breaker :)

Confirmed problem and already fixed. However, due to my blood-alcohol level I think I would be better sorting out the 1.7.1 patch in the morning. No DB update required.

Aww, come on, I really want to try out a drunk patch :)

Offline Aezel

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
Nothing game-breaking and it may even work as intended. 

I created about 10 systems with the "Cities" list for star names (Known Star Systems unchecked) and they all started with an "A. " I guess, it's just working its way down a list and I would've expected some randomness in the names.  But it's not critical and easy to work around for players by renaming the stars themselves.