Author Topic: New ground combat  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
New ground combat
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
I personally feel the changes to ground combat have made it unnecessarily complicated. Guess its time to start glassing planets instead of conquest.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
Re: New ground combat
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
I vehemently disagree.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
I personally feel the changes to ground combat have made it unnecessarily complicated. Guess its time to start glassing planets instead of conquest.

Why? What is the main reason?

I was originally worried about the Logistics and Variety added for the formations etc, but now I am just thinking all the times how did I leave without it before. Of course, have a couple of improvements will help such as being able to replace the losses in one click rather than going manually over every formation.

Having only one Logistic Vehicle really simplify the all Logistic chain as well, so it is just math: how long do you want them to be able to be supplied for and the numbers are accessible.

Finally, the only thing I still cannot figure properly is the field position but that is due to lack of experience.

The only thing I would probably scrap for now is the fighters (which is pretty much now space fighters or just airplanes); that I agree to be utterly too complicated and probably just for the TN start and wars. I think we could have live without them. But again just another mechanic to learn, once done you'll be pretty much in auto mode when planning an attack.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
I vehemently disagree.
I expect a lot of people will since a lot of people wanted it changed.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
What's too complicated about it for you?

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
I didn't say it was too complicated. I said it was unnecessarily complicated. Old system was perfectly fine for me. Simple, easy, abstracted way to conquer worlds in a space exploration/expansion game.

Offline MichaelArch

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »
Personally im excited for the new mechanics and complexity, but then again, i love the OOB in hearts of iron 3 so

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:56:00 PM »
I didn't say it was too complicated. I said it was unnecessarily complicated. Old system was perfectly fine for me. Simple, easy, abstracted way to conquer worlds in a space exploration/expansion game.
Well it's not unneccessarily complicated for me.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 01:09:43 AM »
Ground combat could use some improvements, sure. You could always ask Steve for 'default' templates. That, along with (hopefully eventually) a way to automate bringing units back up to template strength would take a lot of the micromanagement out of ground combat.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, NuclearStudent

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 01:58:31 AM »

I think that allot of people here are into the story element of the game and fiddling with OOB and formations is part of what appeals to such people.

In my opinion you can make rather simple formations that are very effective and be done with it using this system, that way you don't have to interact with the system that much or micromanage it as much.

Offline NuclearStudent

• N
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 02:14:01 AM »
Default templates would be nice as a solution to this. It'd mean you wouldn't have to tinker too much unless you want to customize what you've got.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 02:32:11 AM »
"Unnecessarily complicated"
Hi, welcome to Aurora.

But seriously, ground combat used to be uninteresting and unimmersive, at least now it feels like it fits in with the rest of the game and I know (and can control) what I'm working with rather than just smashing "ground unit" against "enemy ground unit"

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 03:00:37 AM »
Its true the new ground combat is very complicated. I haven't tried the "Create ground unit templates" option yet but I have to assume that its probably fairly helpful not being forced to always make forces completely from scratch.
But some easier options would be nice, maybe some premade templates you could select from a list as your technology makes them buildable.
Apart from that a basic ground combat tutorial would go a long way. As would be handy for many of the games systems, tutorials for Aurora always end up bloated with minutiae.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 03:09:00 AM »

I think that allot of people here are into the story element of the game and fiddling with OOB and formations is part of what appeals to such people.

In my opinion you can make rather simple formations that are very effective and be done with it using this system, that way you don't have to interact with the system that much or micromanage it as much.

I don't think is too complicated. It's complicated as much as you want it to be. I am finding myself agreeing quite much with this quote: you can make rather simple formations that are very effective.

Offline DoctorDanny

• D
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »
I get where OP is coming from. Especially a new start requires a lot of micro-management.
But at the same time, that micro-ing is also part of the fun.
I spent way to much (fun)time yesterday on organising my gene-modified, power-armoured supersoldiers into companies and chapters....